Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Credit card fraud. What to do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

A friend just found out a guy used her credit card number to charge a plane ticket, flowers and insurance WTF. The bank isn’t pursuing him, so what should she do? Any LEO info or websites?

mara-jade

Re: Credit card fraud. What to do?

The credit card company won’t do anything(assuming that’s what you’re meaning)? That’s crazy. I would put in a report to the police if it were me.

I’d check here
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre07.shtm

ESPECIALLY THIS PART
    Reporting Losses and Fraud

If you lose your credit or charge cards or if you realize they’ve been lost or stolen, immediately call the issuer(s). Many companies have toll-free numbers and 24-hour service to deal with such emergencies. By law, once you report the loss or theft, you have no further responsibility for unauthorized charges. In any event, your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card.

guitarded-1

Hmmmmmm…something doesn’t sound right. The charges should be easily disputed. I had someone run up around $12,000 on my cards, and I got every cent of it back. Of course, the police didn’t pursue it, but the bank and Amex fully reimbursed me. It was pretty straightforward.

don

quote unstpabl1:

A friend just found out a guy used her credit card number to charge a plane ticket, flowers and insurance WTF. The bank isn’t pursuing him, so what should she do? Any LEO info or websites?

Lots of questions, including:

Does she know the person who made the charges? (If so, more questions there too)
    Is she being held responsible for the charges or has she been refunded?
    What else does she want done?

First step, like MJ said, is to talk to a local LEO where she lives. She MIGHT have to talk to an LEO from where the charges were made (if possible).

unstpabl1

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

What surprised both of us was that the bank didn’t want to pursue the guy. She was in Finland at the time, he was in Arizona. No she doesn’t know him. Yes she was cleared of the charges. Though the flower shop is fighting it but that is between the bank and them.

I initially thought it was more identity theft than just (hopefully) credit card fraud. The guy used it to buy insurance, which seems really odd to me. So much so that in a way I’m wondering if he just entered a wrong number of a similar credit card number

Don, I think she was angry and wanted to confront him at the airport. LOL I reminded her that she is an acting teacher and not a cage fighter and that he probably doesn’t share her sense of fair play. The message’s she’s getting is to just drop it and I think that really surprised her. Me Too

Holy crap I just broke 1500 posts and I had time’s where I didn’t post for a year. I gotta get a life LOL

guitarded-1

quote unstpabl1:

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

What surprised both of us was that the bank didn’t want to pursue the guy. She was in Finland at the time, he was in Arizona. No she doesn’t know him. Yes she was cleared of the charges. Though the flower shop is fighting it but that is between the bank and them.

I initially thought it was more identity theft than just (hopefully) credit card fraud. The guy used it to buy insurance, which seems really odd to me. So much so that in a way I’m wondering if he just entered a wrong number of a similar credit card number

Don, I think she was angry and wanted to confront him at the airport. LOL I reminded her that she is an acting teacher and not a cage fighter and that he probably doesn’t share her sense of fair play. The message’s she’s getting is to just drop it and I think that really surprised her. Me Too

Holy crap I just broke 1500 posts and I had time’s where I didn’t post for a year. I gotta get a life LOL

Well ultimately, the bank isn’t really in the business of pursuing people (in most cases) – law enforcement is. The bank simply investigates and issues refunds when appropriate. Here’s the unfortunate truth. Are you ready?

Credit card fraud happens so often and on such a major scale that nobody cares.

Don’t expect anyone to blink an eye for this sort of stuff. That’s just the way it is.

admin-d45
    Keymaster

Mike, Ironically I got this email today.

Join Us at Our Next Monthly Meeting:
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:45am
    Valley Presbyterian Hospital 15107 Van Owen St, Van Nuys, CA
    Location & Directions

Presentation by Lieutenant Loren Farell
    Identity Theft
    What it is, how to avoid it, what to do about it. It’s the world’s leading crime both in victims and cost.
    Lieutenant Loren Farell is the Officer in Charge Valley/West LA Financial Sections — Valley wide and WLA/LAX jurisdictions

don

Like guitarded pointed out – it happens all the time and it’s really frustrating that the punishments are so lax. Actually, that’s my belief on our penalties/punishments in general but that’s another subject entirely…

Ask her to contact her local LE agency to start the ball rolling wrto catching the bastage. Sounds like there is more than enough info to investigate…

guitarded-1

quote Don:

Like guitarded pointed out – it happens all the time and it’s really frustrating that the punishments are so lax. Actually, that’s my belief on our penalties/punishments in general but that’s another subject entirely…

Ask her to contact her local LE agency to start the ball rolling wrto catching the bastage. Sounds like there is more than enough info to investigate…

In my case, my wallet was stolen from the gym. In about an hour, the thieves (had to be more than one to pull it off) ran up about $12,000 at numerous different stores. The thieves were guaranteed to be on crystal clear video at 3 of the stores – one of which was Target (has perhaps the most sophisticated surveillance system of any retail chain). All of the evidence was there – video, signatures, etc. Of course, they would have to actually match the evidence to a suspect.

In any case, the cops didn’t touch it – not even for a second. I got the money back, but the police did nothing. In Atlanta at least, there are so many murder and drug cases that $12,000 is nothing to them. They have to prioritize, and my case just naturally falls at the bottom of the pile. Hopefully the OP gets more help than I did.

unstpabl1

quote Admin:

Mike, Ironically I got this email today.

Join Us at Our Next Monthly Meeting:
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:45am
    Valley Presbyterian Hospital 15107 Van Owen St, Van Nuys, CA
    Location & Directions

Presentation by Lieutenant Loren Farell
    Identity Theft
    What it is, how to avoid it, what to do about it. It’s the world’s leading crime both in victims and cost.
    Lieutenant Loren Farell is the Officer in Charge Valley/West LA Financial Sections — Valley wide and WLA/LAX jurisdictions

Thanks. Just shows how in sync we are:):

unstpabl1

quote Don:

Thanks guys I passed it all on. It’s up to her now.

quote unstpabl1:

I think he should be doing disabling his account for that card. And then talk to the company about it. That’s really messed up. The guy could use the credit card to spend millions.

That’s why I always kept my CC safe.

kvmorl

quote kravmagaschooled:

I think he should be doing disabling his account for that card. And then talk to the company about it. That’s really messed up. The guy could use the credit card to spend millions.

That’s why I always kept my CC safe.

Kravmagaschooled, a good tip bit to know also is that they don’t need to keep your card physically to use it. There are many victims that fall to fake CC readers in gas stations, those movie boxes everywhere, private ATMs and more along those lines. That’s not even mentioning online, that’s a whole different world.

I think a good tip is to try to use your CC when you can instead of your ATM/visa check card if at all possible. Pay it off end of month or right away and it’s same $$. Many ppl ATM/visa chk card is linked to the bulk of their cash and paycheck, if it’s stolen it will be some days until you get a new one and if you where carrying little cash with you on a weekend, well… you know those banking hours.

bradm

“I think a good tip is to try to use your CC when you can instead of your ATM/visa check card if at all possible. Pay it off end of month or right away and it’s same $$.”

Good point. That’s what I do. I used to use my ATM check card for everything. stopped doing that several years ago. Not only is it not safe, but it was a hassle to keep my checking account records updated and I use Quicken. Now I use one credit card for just about everthing – pay it off each month. It equates to one entry in my checking account each month. I still use my ATM card for cash withdrawals – but I use extreme caution.

quote kvmorl:

Kravmagaschooled, a good tip bit to know also is that they don’t need to keep your card physically to use it. There are many victims that fall to fake CC readers in gas stations, those movie boxes everywhere, private ATMs and more along those lines. That’s not even mentioning online, that’s a whole different world.

I think a good tip is to try to use your CC when you can instead of your ATM/visa check card if at all possible. Pay it off end of month or right away and it’s same $$. Many ppl ATM/visa chk card is linked to the bulk of their cash and paycheck, if it’s stolen it will be some days until you get a new one and if you where carrying little cash with you on a weekend, well… you know those banking hours.

Thanks for correcting me. I also think yours is a good tip.

Not using/getting CC is a good tip also, use real money instead. Safe and do not give you hassle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: