Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge D.J. dies from Krav Maga injury?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    gwalsh-d92

Has anyone heard of this?

http://www.voxunion.com/?p=1725

smokelaw1

Re: D.J. dies from Krav Maga injury?

Wow, that is terrible. I wonder what happened? Sever concussive impact to the chest wall could lead to Cardiac Arrest, if I understand correctly. Perhaps a hard kick in sparring? Taking a knee to the chest (doubtful through a pad, I’d think)?

Regardless, it is terrible to hear.

unstpabl1

Best wishes to his family:(:

smokelaw1

Indeed. I hope I was clear (though could see that I was not) that the reason this is so terrible to hear is not because of any impact it has on Krav, but for this man’s loved ones.

tech94

wow that is truly sad.. i read a previous article that stated he was practicing MMA but in either case it seems scary to think of that kind of injury while training. we train to survive a street attack and to be able to go back home to our loved ones not to die in training..seems like an odd irony to me…RIP

rd672

Rip

voodoo

This is just enormously sad and I feel not only for his family and friends left behind but also (if it’s the case) for the training partner who may have inflicted a fatal injury – they will be adversely changed forever.

Those we train with do us a significant personal service in training with us, as we do them. That a fatal accident has happened in our training is just unspeakably tragic.

RIP Grand Master.

-V00D00

unstpabl1

Last year, I think, a friend of mine was teaching BJJ. It was a mild w/o. One of the students didn’t feel well and went to the bathroom. About 15 minutes later bor so they went to check on him. He was dead, early 20’s heart attack…keep an eye on each other…very sad

Does anyone have more info about the background to this story?

I wonder what kind of injury experienced in KM training could cause a cardiac arrest?

Awful news – RIP.

imike

quote unstpabl1:

Last year, I think, a friend of mine was teaching BJJ. It was a mild w/o. One of the students didn’t feel well and went to the bathroom. About 15 minutes later bor so they went to check on him. He was dead, early 20’s heart attack…keep an eye on each other…very sad

wow very sad indeed. Especially the fact that it happens to young guys with no apparent health problems. Gotta be careful and know your limits :(:

Found this on the ‘net:

HipHopDX has received a statement from Roc Raida’s family, confirming the tragic loss. “Anthony Williams p/k to the world as The Legendary Grandmaster Roc Raida has passed away unexpectedly today September 19 2009. He is survived by his wife, three lovely daughters, mother and friends. Raida was recently in an mixed martial arts accident, something that he has been practicing for several years. Although he had under gone two surgeries with great success, was released to an inpatient physical therapy facility and was in great spirits the past few days. This morning he started to have complications and passed. The family asks for privacy at this time.

More from the net – it seems he died of complications after surgery for a spinal injury:

The music world is in mourning after it was announced by hip hop artist Busta Rhymes that his personal DJ, Roc Raida, is dead aged 37.

Raida, an avid mixed martial arts devotee, had injured his back while training at a gym, and had received back surgery twice in the time since to correct the injury.

He was recovering from the surgery when complications saw his health take a turn for the worst, and he died Saturday Sept. 19. at 2:05 p.m.

Born Anthony Williams, Raid won the 1995 DMC World DJ Championship, earning a spot in the DMC Hall of Fame four years later. The turntable spinner worked with some of the biggest names in music, including Ghostface Killah, Jungle Brothers, Busta Rhymes, Big L and Linkin Park.

He had released six solo albums and seven more with his group, the X-Ecutioners.

Williams had trained in mixed martial arts for several years. He was recovering at an “inpatient physical therapy facility” at the time of his death, according to a statement from his family.

“Family and friends will miss him dearly. Please give the family their privacy,” the statement continued.
    lled the death “unexpected.”

Williams is survived by his wife and three daughters.

kravmdjeff

Hello all.

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeff Mount, and I’m Director of Operations for Krav Maga Maryland. Yesterday one of my fellow instructors here in Maryland alerted me to this story. Of course the major tragedy is that a life was lost – one that contributed greatly to the world of music over the past 20 or so years.

As far as I can tell, the news stories on DJ Roc Raida’s death indicate a few things that are pertinent. Most every story I read says that he had pre-existing medical condition that he was being treated for. Many of the stories say that he was training MMA. A few didn’t mention martial arts training at all, but cited a car accident as the cause of the acute incident leading to his death. One website, that a few others linked to, mentioned Krav Maga as the specific training he engaged in which caused the complications.

I’ve gotten many calls from KMW family members over the past 24 hours as well, because according to one or two news stories, DJ Roc Raida lived in Maryland. After checking with all our facilities and off-site programs here in Maryland, it’s clear that Roc Raida wasn’t training with a KMW program here in Maryland, DC or any other KMW program in the region. In fact, none of the news stories I could find indicated the location of where he passed away at all. Regardless of what facts come to light, I would rather everyone in the KMW community be clear on what information is accurate, what is speculation, and what is untrue.

Our condolences go out to Roc Raida’s family. For instructors and school owners, this should definitely serve as a huge reminder to put our students’ safety first in every training situation, so that we can carry out the mission we’re all so passionate about.

unstpabl1

Thanks Jeff for taking the time to follow up on this and to share it

mara-jade

Thanks so much Jeff for letting us know.

My condolences to the family – so sad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: