Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I am just curious, has anyone ever found anything to substantiate that hitting somene in the nose can actually cause death? Please, can we avoid getting into a discussion on proper techniqueto make this happen, as this is better left to instructors with trusted students. It seems viable, but I haven’t seen anything to really substantiate it, for instance: medical journal reports, obituary, police report on TV or print media….etc.

blindfold

Re: Death by Nose Strike

Feasible and possible, but not very likely.

A very good friend is a medical examiner and he has told me of several cases where this has happened by accident.

He had one case where a guy was walking down the street and sneezed. He sneezed hard enough to hit his nose into a fence post. This pushed all of his goodies into his brains and caused enough damage to shut down the noodle and bleed profusely, all over everywhere. The cause of death was basically just blunt trauma and blood loss.

These are of course very technical terms that he used. thumbsup

I don’t want to step on anybodys toes, but the driving the nose cartilidge into the brain myth has been debunked many times. The sinuses and the nose structure would preclude this. Death resulting from a blow to the face would be because of the trauma of the brain rattling around in the skull, or an extremely traumatic blow (think auto accident)that would actually crush the skull and drive the resulting fragments through the brain.

quote Jeremy Stafford:

I don’t want to step on anybodys toes, but the driving the nose cartilidge into the brain myth has been debunked many times. The sinuses and the nose structure would preclude this. Death resulting from a blow to the face would be because of the trauma of the brain rattling around in the skull, or an extremely traumatic blow (think auto accident)that would actually crush the skull and drive the resulting fragments through the brain.

About 10 years ago, I did a fairly extensive search through many sources (some mentioned in my original post) trying to find just one case of it actually happening and could not find a single reputable source. But I haven’t done anything recent; this is why I thought to ask here. I cannot imagine cartilage ever under any circumstance making it through all of the portions of the face/skull you mentoined above.

ryan

I’m with Jeremy…total BS.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=511

The same arguement has been made about the movie, ” Munich ” with the Israeli defending himself with a knife being driven into the arab terrorist’s head.

I don’t know but given enough force, the knife could go right through the skull into the brain, much in the same way a gun’s bullet travels through the bad guy’s head.

resqr1

Even if the cartilage of the nose was strong enough to rip away from the support structure of the face and stay intact (which it is not), it would pierce the frontal lobe. Basically giving them a lobotomy not killing them. I agree 100% with those who called B/S.

kpalena

I think I read once that even if the entire front of the nose (the cartilage) was made of steel, it would still not be long enough to cause death. To get under the bridge of the nose, it would push it way into the soft palate and not the brain. That is not to say that a strike to the face/head can’t be lethal, just not the way hollywood portrays it. Besides, I think that if the force were great enough to pierce the skull…physics wins here, it would pierce your hand first.

resqr1

More ancient myths perpetuated by Hollywood.

russell

i think mythbusters tried this and it was busted

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: