Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Defense against bag over head from behind?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    guerriere

I’ve been wondering about this ever since it hit the papers:

No incidents recently, so maybe the bad guy has switched tactics, or maybe he’s moved to some other city… or maybe he’s just waiting for his next opportunity.

I imagine it would have to come from behind, or at least that would be the most challenging scenario. Could be a pillowcase or other kind of bag too.

With a grocery bag you could probably rip at it to get breathing space. At that point I imagine you’d just forget about the bag unless the rest is being used to strangle you. What about a bag that’s too strong to give way if you try to rip it?

skaldgrimnir

Re: Defense against bag over head from behind?

Now I have not gone through any classes yet, but from videos I’ve seen, I would imagine that you would probably be best to use a defense like the one presented for a garrote. My impressions, however, are theoretical, not practical as yet.

The trouble with a bag is that it often will slide beneath the chin, and act like a garrote, but thankfully, not usually with the same kinds of pressure on the throat. So, there is generally less pain in that area. However, it also obfuscates your vision, which can make defense hard unless the bag can be removed.

Reach behind to grab a hand holding the bag, and twist your body, pushing your head into the attacker as you strike him/her. Once you have impacted him/her enough for them to release the bag, pull it off, and step back or press forward. Chance are, with a hold being released, and the activity, the bag will already be half off, loose, or starting to come loose.

Once the bag is off, it’s on like Donkey Kong.

Edit:
    Here is the video I am referencing.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=yd7npft6xmk

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote SkaldGrimnir:

Now I have not gone through any classes yet, but from videos I’ve seen, I would imagine that you would probably be best to use a defense like the one presented for a garrote. My impressions, however, are theoretical, not practical as yet.

The trouble with a bag is that it often will slide beneath the chin, and act like a garrote, but thankfully, not usually with the same kinds of pressure on the throat. So, there is generally less pain in that area. However, it also obfuscates your vision, which can make defense hard unless the bag can be removed.

Reach behind to grab a hand holding the bag, and twist your body, pushing your head into the attacker as you strike him/her. Once you have impacted him/her enough for them to release the bag, pull it off, and step back or press forward. Chance are, with a hold being released, and the activity, the bag will already be half off, loose, or starting to come loose.

Once the bag is off, it’s on like Donkey Kong.

Edit:
    Here is the video I am referencing.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=yd7npft6xmk

hmm I’ve seen that video someplace before.

stevetuna

Wow – I thought at first that this was going to be some sort of joke thread.

The good news is that so far this guy is 0 for 4. The bad news is that he may learn and adjust his tactics. The worse news is that this serial behavior won’t stop until it’s stopped.

Guerriere – please post any updates that you might find about this case. I’m betting that the attacker will be found to have some sort of physical deformity (not based upon any great insight on my part, but from a case that FBI profiler John Douglas described in one of his books where the attacker used a similar M.O.).

skaldgrimnir

quote stevetuna:

Wow – I thought at first that this was going to be some sort of joke thread.

The good news is that so far this guy is 0 for 4. The bad news is that he may learn and adjust his tactics. The worse news is that this serial behavior won’t stop until it’s stopped.

Guerriere – please post any updates that you might find about this case. I’m betting that the attacker will be found to have some sort of physical deformity (not based upon any great insight on my part, but from a case that FBI profiler John Douglas described in one of his books where the attacker used a similar M.O.).

From another article:
    http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=1141685

quote :

The suspect is described as a black man with a medium build and light to medium complexion. He is described as 20 to 30 years old and between 5-foot-10 and 6 feet tall.

The article says the man runs as well, so if there is any deformity, it’s not been obvious enough for any of the attacked women who have seen him to point out.

But he is a coward, that is obvious. He runs up, attacks from behind, tries to make sure no one sees him, and runs away at slight resistance.

To be honest, these are the attitudes I’ve seen with people who drug victims more than not.

Also, there may be a copycat:
    http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0607/429719.html

skaldgrimnir

quote CJs Dad:

hmm I’ve seen that video someplace before.

Yeah, it’s a good video. Too bad the guy doing the attacking is such a ham of an actor. You can tell he goes way off script with those silly facial expressions.

rofl2

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote SkaldGrimnir:

Yeah, it’s a good video. Too bad the guy doing the attacking is such a ham of an actor. You can tell he goes way off script with those silly facial expressions.

rofl2

LOL well played sir

guerriere

This serial bad guy is also on the loose:

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1207/482183.html

Since he’s attacking women at bus stops, my defense is driving to work.

…though since I can’t bring coffee on the bus, it’s probably better for him than me that our paths won’t cross. :abx: I’m not a nice person when I’m not caffeinated. :box:

blindfold

The attacker with the trash bag may not have reached the point of killing someone yet. He grabs them and when they struggle he runs away out of fear that he may kill them or be seen. So he hasn’t really pushed the limits, yet. If he does he may screw up, because he has lost his fears or concerns. He doesn’t want to get caught or he wouldn’t run. If they had a description then someone has seen him and he ran. Being seen may also have cooled his jets, until he feels more comfortable or finds somewhere else to go. He has probably been jogging that park for years and lives close by.

Just an opinion.

I also agree with the garrot defense. I think it should work.

giant-killer

I’ve tried this with plastic bags of varying strengths and found that I was able to rip pretty much all of them off in one quick motion. If it’s a type of cloth instead, you may not be able to rip it as easily, but it should be possible to breathe through it, at least as long as you don’t panic. Then the garrote defense should work well.

kmcat

quote Giant Killer:

I’ve tried this with plastic bags of varying strengths and found that I was able to rip pretty much all of them off in one quick motion. If it’s a type of cloth instead, you may not be able to rip it as easily, but it should be possible to breathe through it, at least as long as you don’t panic. Then the garrote defense should work well.

2 days before Christmas you were worrying about this and did experiments to test this
    scenario. I am impressed.

blindfold

That’s called devotion. For Christmas Day GK is planning to do defenses for kids with new bicylces from strangers. For the younger students it’s the training wheel defense. thumbsup

Happy Holidays

guerriere

She’s also working on a defense against fat men who invade your home through the fireplace.

giant-killer

The fat man got stuck in the chimney, so no worries there. We’ll call the fire department to remove him.

Actually, don’t mean to disappoint, but I didn’t try it out now but a few months ago or so, when the question first came up (yes it came up before!).

For Christmas, I was trying the same defense with wrapping paper in case an insidious attacker decides to wrap you up as a holiday present for his family. Good news, the paper rips everytime! Only problem is the duct tape…

guerriere

I searched before I posted! How did I miss it? Well thanks for taking one for the team, and be sure to check the IDs of the fire department guys who show up. They have axes you know. Can never be too sure!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: