Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics difference b/w men and women fighting

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    guerriere

I don’t come from the highest economic class, but I’m definitely taking krav for self-defense. I think I represent the geeks-who-got-picked-on-in-school type of krav student! DC is notoriously dangerous, which may be why most of the women I’ve met have been truly in it for self-defense. I’m guessing it’s more of a sport for women living in areas where they feel safer.

caliwt

Well at least KM actually works. I am more talking about girls in Gi based arts with board breaking and kicks to the head. Kiai as load as you can and that kinda macho. Or the Kick boxing aerobics, with no one on one contact.

But i hear ya about over achivers when it comes to Machoness. They can be dangerous weither guy or girl. Don’t let it get to you, eventually you will enjoy frusterating them because your better and their macho attitude doesn’t have any effect. 😆

angryangel

Just to throw another perspective into the mix.

Has anyone noticed that trained female fighters (say boxing, muay thai – and maybe mma though I have never seen a female mma fight) are far more technical that there male counterparts.

Speaking to corner men I know, they also seem to be more able to take in what is being said between rounds and act on it than males.

No doubt there is a good dash of ego causing this (the guy is thinking, hey my mates are here to watch me, I gotta bash this guy), but could it be more.

Could it be that because of the strength differential women are less likely to try and muscle their opponent.

Could it be deeper than that. I remember reading that some research suggests that women would make \”better\” snipers than men because they do not get as \”involved\” (lower heart rate, even breathing, less sweaty).

I remember many years ago helping my karate instructor teach self-defence to women (I was the \”punching bag\”). While they seemed to pick up on the technical elements quite quickly (they had no pre-disposition as to what a punch or kick should look like) it was really difficult to get them to strike with any sort of aggression or determinaton. Very similar to the observations made above.

Tis interesting stuff.

laurar
    quote :

I am more worried about these girls discovering they really have no clue how to fight than worrying about timid girls that are still resitant to punching bags and contact drills, but who are in some real life combative program.

There is a thread on the Brand X forum about exactly that. If you are teaching women (or men) a \”martial art\” that is purely for exercise, and not telling them it is useless for self defense, you are basically lying to them and putting them in danger.

garddawg

Angry Angel brought up something I see all the time. Women seem to learn more quickly and be more technical. It seems many guys come into our gym \”knowing\” they can fight. It seems to take awhile to get through to some of them that they have something to learn. Women tend to be the opposite.

caliwt

These are some of the ADVANTAGES I mentioned: No preconcieved notions, no ego in the way, and knowing they have to learn the tech to overpower the strength. Many smaller men also benifit from this last one.

Women also have a lower center of gravity, higher pain threshold, and larger leg muscle mass. They are also thought to have a different type of brain that can multitask better then men and they do seem to learn faster!! I know this from college as well!!

Physically, they are still every strong, and the lighter arm can be used to advantage if they learn to punch from the legs and torso. The lighter arm will accelerate faster and speed imparts force on impact. They have wider hips so they can sidestep better, and they may have sharpend nails!!

Also, they can play the defensless role untell the last second and then really surprize an attacker!! This is a hugh advantage, playing on the overconfidence of the attacker.

and have you ever seen a girl take off her high heels and use them as weapons!!! Scary ❗ 😈

runnergirl

But I would SO hate to get blood on $300 shoes! 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: