Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Diving into KM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nakmuay

Hi everyone. After lurking here for awhile and looking into KM, I am excited to start training in KM. I have trained in Muay Thai for a number of years and without a doubt, it’s been my passion. After watching some Youtube clips, it seems as though KM borrows some aspects of Muay Thai striking. I have never been very interested in Jits, but I know that I probably need to learn some groundfighting.

A couple of questions (I have searched and didn’t find any good answers) for those who have trained in Muay Thai before they started KM:

– Was the transition from sport fighting to self defense training difficult?
    – I have never trained with shoes on, was it difficult to adapt your kicks and punches (pivoting, etc)?
    – KM seems to have a much wider stance, did that take awhile to adapt to?
    – Have any of you been able to successfully switch back and forth? I guess my concern is that I may have difficulty going from KM type sparring to MT sparring?

I’m sure my concerns are unfounded, but I was just curious how others have adapted.

leejam99

Re: Diving into KM

Hey Nakmuay,

welcome to Krav. I am currently an instructor for Krav but i’ve also had extensive training in Muay Thai so let me give it a shot in answering your questions.

1. as far as training goes, i didn’t find it difficult to go from MT to Krav. What takes getting used to is the mentality of going from sport fighting where there’s rules, no kick to the groan, you can feel out your opponent, jab for range, etc..to once you start to defend your self…there is no rules, no breaks, you just do what you need to to go home safe. oh and..I’m still not use to groan kick btw during sparing at Krav….

2. just like you, i’ve always train with my shoes off so that was a bit strange. Don’t wear regular sneakers. the bottom will stick to the matt and it will be very hard to pivot for round kicks. there’s a thread about shoes in one of the other area. check it out.

3. STANCE! when i first started, i had to really focus on keeping my stance wide and keeping all my toes forward. of course when i would go back and train MT with my coach…he would yell at me! than when i come back to Krav, my Krav instructor would yell at me! haha. now i’ve learn to use both when i need to.

4. I really love both Krav and MT and i think they compliment each other. My stand up skills and footwork in general would not be as good without my MT training and Krav picks up where MT leave off on real self defense. I don’t have much trouble going back and fourth because at the end of the day, i see whats good and works for me on both end and that what i use. As for sparring in Krav/fight class, you’ll do great if you’ve had MT sparring experience. try to keep couple things in mind though. When you block punches, remember that in the street, you won’t have those big gloves on. The normal blocks used in MT or boxing won’t work…so try to use what we teach you in Krav for defenses. second thing is…the groan kick! start getting use to the idea of someone kicking your boyz at any time.

hope that helps!
    oh and if your in the LA area, i hope you come into the Sherman Oaks facility!

James

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote leejam99:

Hey Nakmuay,

welcome to Krav. I am currently an instructor for Krav but i’ve also had extensive training in Muay Thai so let me give it a shot in answering your questions.

1. as far as training goes, i didn’t find it difficult to go from MT to Krav. What takes getting used to is the mentality of going from sport fighting where there’s rules, no kick to the groan, you can feel out your opponent, jab for range, etc..to once you start to defend your self…there is no rules, no breaks, you just do what you need to to go home safe. oh and..I’m still not use to groan kick btw during sparing at Krav….

2. just like you, i’ve always train with my shoes off so that was a bit strange. Don’t wear regular sneakers. the bottom will stick to the matt and it will be very hard to pivot for round kicks. there’s a thread about shoes in one of the other area. check it out.

3. STANCE! when i first started, i had to really focus on keeping my stance wide and keeping all my toes forward. of course when i would go back and train MT with my coach…he would yell at me! than when i come back to Krav, my Krav instructor would yell at me! haha. now i’ve learn to use both when i need to.

4. I really love both Krav and MT and i think they compliment each other. My stand up skills and footwork in general would not be as good without my MT training and Krav picks up where MT leave off on real self defense. I don’t have much trouble going back and fourth because at the end of the day, i see whats good and works for me on both end and that what i use. As for sparring in Krav/fight class, you’ll do great if you’ve had MT sparring experience. try to keep couple things in mind though. When you block punches, remember that in the street, you won’t have those big gloves on. The normal blocks used in MT or boxing won’t work…so try to use what we teach you in Krav for defenses. second thing is…the groan kick! start getting use to the idea of someone kicking your boyz at any time.

hope that helps!
    oh and if your in the LA area, i hope you come into the Sherman Oaks facility!

James

+1

I could not have said what James just did any better. “welcome to Krav. I am currently an instructor for Krav but i’ve also had extensive training in Muay Thai ”

I agree with everything he mentioned… your going to love it.

nakmuay

Thanks for the responses. That was some great info. Most of the guys I have trained with have no desire to get into KM and I think you hit the nail on the head with the groin kicks. I have taken plenty of cup shots over the years, but I would like to think most of them weren’t deliberate. Should be interesting sparring.

Also, I was assuming you guys spar with pads and gloves…but from your comment about blocking, I’m not so sure. My shins are hard, so that’s not a big deal, but I haven’t sparred bare knuckle. That could be a bit of an adjustment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: