Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Do the Inside Defense (Straight Punch Block) really work?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mestizomad

Hi there,

I have been doing Krav for a short while now, so I am no expert. I have been taught about Inside defense and blocking or slapping/diverting straight punches.

However, when i practice this technique at full proper speed, i can almost never block, slap or divert a straight punch away. My training partner just punches way too fast, i cant even move my head out the way in time, im just not fast enough. So i just keep thinking would this technique REALLY work in a real fight, or does it only work when training at half speed.

Also, my own straight punches are extremely fast, and i have also gone straight through peoples inside defense or blocks on many occasions during full speed practice. I just cannot favom me having reflexes fast enough to be able to simply slap off or divert a punch like that.

Any and all advice welcome,

Thanks

tzrider

Re: Do the Inside Defense (Straight Punch Block) really work?

The defenses work at full speed. Reaction times will be affected by how quickly you can see the attack and recognize what it is and how ingrained the technique is for you. Early in your training, these things take a little more attention, but with repetition, you get faster and faster.

Other factors are distance to your opponent and how your hands are positioned. If your hands are too far apart, it takes a little more time to perform the defense. If your opponent is already in range, he can strike faster than if he must burst in a bit.

kmyoshi

Do you find yourself missing with every single training partner you have or just people with extremely fast punching speed? I can redirect a lot of punches during sparring but there are still a few people who punch way faster than I can react. Where are you looking at when you are doing this defense? Are you looking at their face, their hands or their chest? Chest is ideal because you can detect their arm movements better and can react accordingly.

Also, this defense is NOT a slap, it is a redirect. If you feel you are slapping the hand away you aren’t doing the technique properly. I had a hard time learning this technique as well, so do it slowly and do it right, then build up speed. It is a very subtle movement and you don’t waste a lot of energy doing it. Slapping it will tire you out fast as you’ll be stiff while anticipating the punch.

catapult

quote KMyoshi:

Also, this defense is NOT a slap, it is a redirect. If you feel you are slapping the hand away you aren’t doing the technique properly.

Kevin Mack says nose to nose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag0d-dF1Zxw

And an advanced version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XVmUjQHhHI

revadim

quote tzrider:

The defenses work at full speed. Reaction times will be affected by how quickly you can see the attack and recognize what it is and how ingrained the technique is for you. Early in your training, these things take a little more attention, but with repetition, you get faster and faster.

Other factors are distance to your opponent and how your hands are positioned. If your hands are too far apart, it takes a little more time to perform the defense. If your opponent is already in range, he can strike faster than if he must burst in a bit.

Great answer tz. Straight to the point and the questions answered.

sch-thurston

Isn’t it only supposed to be 50% of the solution, with the other 50% being a body defense? (Hence, I’ve heard some refer to each as 100% so that with luck one or other will work – a 200% defense.) I’m only a lowly schmuck but I’ve been taught to react as best I can, try to block with an angled inside defense (to give max. likelihood of connecting/redirecting in some fashion), use body defense to get off line, and counter attack. Put this way, no one element never has to be 100% successful 100% of the time.

maddogmean

I had similar issues. During class the instructor pointed out that there was too much hand movement and not enough head movement. Take a look at how much of each you’re doing. In my KM stance with my hands open and out front. I would simply turn my palm toward the punch and make a very subtle redirect (almost no movement toward the punch). I mostly take my head offline from the punch. That’s also pretty subtle movement. Like others said…if you here a slap…you’re attacking the punch and not redirecting. The hand should just run down the length of the arm. The instructor said to imagine a center line in front of you. Your head moves a fraction one way and the punch is directed a fraction the other way. These smaller movements made me faster at these defenses.

I’m only a student…but this helped me tremendously. I’m sure the instructors here can give you better advice.

hoop

Not sure if this helps or not, but during our technique training sessions (not sparring sessions), we are reminded that in a true fight, you will not just stand there and defend. You will counter, move off-line, move out of range, etc.

If you just stand there and defend (like the training session) you will likely be late and/or defend with the wrong hand at least some of the time. This may lead to a lack of confidence in the defense (which is a bad thing). Put it back into context….defend one inside punch and go on the offensive.

Cheers

hoop

I would also add that our instructors reminds us that a straight punch that slides down your cheek (as oppose to landing square on your head and accelerating your head backwards) has been successfully defended.

The measure of success is not necessarily whether contact is made or not.

kevinmack

Where are you holding your hands? Are they close to your chin as if you were wearing boxing gloves or forward in the proper Krav Maga outlet stance?
    If they are close to your chin that is the problem…you will never be able to deflect the punch in time. The goal of the outlet stance is to disrupt the attack at a distance before it reaches your face.

I am going to give you the definitive reply from Africa… and Jon you can back me up on this one…
    Don’t think in terms of hand blocks going left to right or right to left right in front of your face, i.e. slap boxing…Think in terms of making your hand defense going forward and at an angle towards the threat…be that a fist or a knife. If you push you’re left arm defense (against a right) forward and to the right, you will catch the incoming at its earliest stage. Think of shooting your hand and shoulder forward at an angle of about 45 degrees to make wrist to wrist contact about 12-18 inches from your body. I think the best way to visualize what position your arm should be in is to pick up a modertly heavy object and hold it with your biceps about 12 inches from your body at a 45 degree angle.

In Krav, the hand always moves first for a reason…think of gun defense, blunt object defense, even choke defense…your hands/arms should be able to defend against the attack even if there is no body movement. AND Hoop: a straight punch should never get anywhere close to your cheek. When people “get it” the punch never gets within 8-12 inches of their face.

hoop

quote ForceTraining:

Hoop: a straight punch should never get anywhere close to your cheek.

As a goal, I agree that straight punches should not make any contact with your head. But the possibility of being late/slow is very real. If the combination of hand and body provides a defense that results in a straight punch that only glances off your cheek, I say you have successfully defended *that* straight punch. I wouldn’t abandon the technique or lose confidence in it just because some contact resulted.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I would agree a strike that grazes your face is going to cause less damage than one with full impact, however re-directing with my cheek doesn’t sound like a great option – LOL.

Hoop, agreed that the defender could be late…I.e., late to see it coming, late, to respond, etc. that is precisely why the defending hand goes forward. Also agreed the head should move but only after the hand has begun to move.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: