Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Do you carry a pocket knife?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Now I know its obvious that guys like ìCombative Edgeî have at least one on them at all times. But Iím wondering if there are normal students who always walk around with a folder of some type.

I work with a Karambit folding trainer a lot and carry an Emerson Commander as my daily because I like the deployment action it has with the little ìcatchî for your pocket. The Karambit I have also has the same catch to open on deploy and Iím having a lot of fun using the trainer with both beginner and advanced KM material specifically gun and stick defenses. Itís a great extension of our hands and allows you to keep with the principles by doing the simultaneous block counter. Or in this case block / deploy / counter.

It would be great if I could incorporate my fondness for Doce Pares into our KM techniques as well.

Also out of curiosity what type of folder and if you have ever tried utilizing it with some of the KM techniques into your regular training?

Thoughts?

PS: Paging Garddawg…. I’d love your opinion.

kmsf

YES#@! I always carry a folder, mine is a Spyderco Endura with a pocket clip. It’s one of the older brands and the clip is part of the body – knife is about 8 inches long from tip to bottom of handle when opened. It is always in my right front pocket. I know we had this discussion on here years ago and I think it’s one of the most important things to have a weapon at your disposal. Yes I have used it in conjunction with Krav moves and practice deploying it blocking and stabbing to all sides – I even created a target using stacked boxes of Papertowels and will stand with them to my rear, sides, and front and draw a small circle in the side of the top box (about four feet high) and from all directions snap the blade out and stab the circle. Good question CJs Dad.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I used to have a Spyderco Police model as my daily but when I started knife fighting most of the guys went with the commander because of ease of deploy. Also the grip has a good finger curve so when driving into something you donít run the risk of your index finger sliding forward onto the blade when you hit resistance.

http://www.emersonknives.com/Commander_BTS.html

Side note: is this Gabe? Forum names and real names are confusing LOL This is Sean. CJ is my son the NTC 2 year old mascot. 🙂

giant-killer

In always thought KMSF means \”Krav Maga San Francisco\”, but I could be wrong… 🙂

I used to carry knives when I was really little. Loved them, don’t even remember much why. Of course, couldn’t carry them to school. But I had a Swiss Army knife and a non-foldable larger knife and I thought they were very cool.

Right now, I don’t usually carry one. If I do, it would be something small, such as a pocket knife. I wonder, if you are carrying a large \”professional\”-looking knife and injure or kill someone with it in self-defense, could it give a bad impression to the police? As in, \”Why was he carrying such a huge knife if he wasn’t looking for trouble?\”

g-v

I carry a spiderco folder at times.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

KMSF / GV when you grip the spyderco and push the point into something (soft 2×4 for example) does your hand slide forward? My police model always gave me that problem. I love the knife, best utility knife I own but now that I know what Iím doing it gives me concerns which is why I switched.

g-v

C, I’ve got an endura like KMSF. Here’s a googled pic of it: http://www.builderdepot.com/SPYDERCO_15/prodimg/C10PSGRE.jpg

It’s an ugly beast, but naw, it doesn’t slip and slide, and it will gut a freakin elephant! 😆

kmsf

Nope, not Gabe. Sorry. No one has ever asked what KMSF stood for before. It stands for Krav Maga Special Forces actually – something I thought of due to my instructor’s experiences in Israel. I’m up in Idaho actually.

giant-killer

Special Forces, huh? Damn, I thought San Francisco was a good guess. There’s KM in Idaho? Who is your instructor? Does he have a school, or is it more of a private training thing?

kmsf

San Fran was a good guess. I always wondered if people thought it was that. I am from California originally (long time ago) I trained with this guy for years until he left for a job. We ran a program at a local University. I haven’t been training in awhile due to some injuries serious enough to need surgery but have been putting it off.

giant-killer

Hope you’ll be able to get back to training soon. Maybe even start your own KM program. 😀

kmsf

I took over from him and led the club we had started for a year but time constraints and the injuries led to me disbanding the club and now getting back to training is in the works

giant-killer

Well, I’m glad you’ll be able to train again soon. Maybe you’ll be able to reopen. I don’t think there are too many KM schools in Idaho.

kmsf

One just opened up near me and he needs a training partner so we are talking about that.

giant-killer

Perfect! 😀 Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: