Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Do you carry a pocket knife?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    kmsf

Thanks GK 🙂

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”KMSF\:

Nope, not Gabe. Sorry. No one has ever asked what KMSF stood for before. It stands for Krav Maga Special Forces actually – something I thought of due to my instructor’s experiences in Israel. I’m up in Idaho actually.

Ahh I made the San Francisco jump as well hence the question if you were Gabriel 🙂

clfmak

I’m usually carrying a modified Spyderco Endura that can catch on my pocket to open it. Lately I carry a Cold Steel Voyager with a clip point and five inch blade. One or the other.

smokelaw1

I always have at least one knife on me. Usually a Chris Reeves Small Sebenza (when in the office…on the dressier side of bsuiness casual). I also often carry a Spyderco Endura (hiking, weekends in shorts, or when I might lose it), or a William Henry carbon fiber and damascus (when I’m feeleing fancy).
    I do not, though, use them along with KM, or any other martial art. My knives are tools, not weapons. I train so that I do not need to deploy edged weapons. If life becomes so dangerous that an edged weapon is required, I will carry (.45 ACP beats VG-10 or ZDP-189 any day!) I alo would carry a comtech stinger, kappo stick or other force multiplier before an edged tool for weapon use. I fully support others who choose to do otherwise, this just seems to work for me.

vwr32

I feel like a Mr Rogers in a room full of Tackleburys from Police Academy. 😆

Didn’t know my knife had a name… but the one I carry most is an old Jaguar folding blade. Half serrated. Have had it a long time (10 years?), still sharp and blade is tight as day I first got it. Locks solid too. Aluminum handle with rubber grip. Nice looking btw. 😀

Hiking: Just a Leatherman with pliers. Would love to upgrade to the SOG version. Maybe I’ll do that this weekend, hiking season is coming up (fall-winter).

I really liked the Karambit mentioned by CJ’s Dad. The website listed everything I looked at as being \”sold out\” or \”out of stock\”. But the ones they did have were fairly pricey… $300 and up. Ouch. For me, guess I’m more of a knife-is-a-tool-not-a-weapon person.

karmaok

Always carry a folder. Love the SOG Flash II! A bit big but light, and if clipped properly in pocket, very comfortable and accessible. They actually carry this one and the SOG Twitch at Lowes these days.

bradm

I don’t carry any weapons on me. I do have an Air Force survival knife in the side pocket of my truck door, driver’s side. But, since I’ve never trained in knife fighting, I’m not sure I would use it if attacked. I think I would rely on the open hand self defense I’ve learned and hope for the best.

I have a question for those that do carry knives. I’m sure you would be more than willing to use if if attacked by a person with a knife or club. But, if the attacker was unarmed, would you still use it? And what do you think the ramifications in a court of law would be assuming you were armed with a knife and the other guy wasn’t? Just curious on your thoughts.

rpagliaro13

This is a topic of defense that really interests me and where I am looking to get educated. Can somebody provide a checklist of features that I should be looking for in a good knife to begin my training. Something that eventually can by an everyday utility/safety net item if needed.

Also, what does Karambit mean?

thanks
    rp

kmsf

I knew eventually the \”law\” would rear its ugly head 🙁 First off know the laws of your state in carrying or using one in self defense (bla bla bla 😆 ). I wouldn’t use a knife against an unarmed person, I would however possibly use it against multiple attackers if I felt threatened with serious harm or death. Mainly it’s for those \”just in case\” moments. I have a CWP for my state and others so I could be packing a gun all the time but chose to pack a tool that is usefull and also handy in case of serious trouble and also it can be a deterent to a threat from others if they see it and know they could be hurt in an encounter.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”rpagliaro13\:

This is a topic of defense that really interests me and where I am looking to get educated. Can somebody provide a checklist of features that I should be looking for in a good knife to begin my training. Something that eventually can by an everyday utility/safety net item if needed.

Also, what does Karambit mean?

thanks
    rp

Its a style of knife.. there are a few differant people who make them. Heres a link to the ones I was reffering to.

http://www.emersonknives.com/karambit.htm

Theres also some video on it.

http://www.emersonknives.com/EK_Karambit.htm

clfmak

My knife is mostly a tool. I always think its odd that lots of people think carrying a knife is weird. I think carrying a knife was the norm for most of human history.

rpagliaro13

In addition to knifes, there are many small weapons that you can carry. For those thinking of alternatives check out some of the tactical level flashlights on the market. I personally carry a Surefire 6P Defender. I really like it because it is small and will fit in my front pocket. It has an extremely bright light that if needed can temporarily blind your attacker and its size lends itself to be incorporated into a lot of Krav strikes/techniques.

You can also get it with the strike bezel (of course if you are reading this forum you want this 😀 )

Just an additional/alternate small tool that you may be interested in.

http://www.surefire.com

rp

smokelaw1

If talking about alternative WEAPONS to carry, (as opposed to tools), I have to metnion the comtech stinger. I feel confident that I do not need it, but a force multiplier that can turn a jab into a rib-breaker is never a bad thing. Sorry for the threadjack.

rpagliaro13

I started a new thread for small carry weapons.

Sorry for going off the original topic. I hate when people do that!!! 😀

garddawg

Been just a little busy the past week and a half CJ’s Dad (Kids magazine due date, readying a new website, launching a second location and shock a birthday). I have carried a pocket knife everyday since I was 8 years old.

Today I carry either a Emerson Karambit, CQC 10, or Chris Reeve’s small Sebanza ( I have had for about 10 years).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: