Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kmman

If so, when and what type?

stuartf

Re: Do You Wear Gloves?

I wear wraps (these ones: http://www.ringside.com/ringside/contender-fight-sports-mexican-style-handwraps.html) particularly at the start of level 1 classes when there’s a lot of punching on pads. For sparring I keep those on and slip on some 16oz Ringside brand boxing gloves that appear to have been discontinued. I also make a point to occasionally train punches without the wraps, because that’s what I’d have in a real situation, but the support and protection they provide is nice.

kmman

I prefer gl;oves coming from a boxing background I know the damage bag work can do. In class, its more difficult bouncing from drill to drill so you need something more free so you can grab also. Besides, you neverr know what drill is coming next. Perhaps the wraps are the best solution. Not the greatest protection for knuckles but it does help keep the bones in tact. I also used the Everlast glove wraps which were good but tough as heck to get off quickly.

jjbklb

Why not get the extra little exercise benefit of the weight of regular boxing gloves while you’re moving your arms through your punching sequences?

kmman

Agree but then next drill is something I might need to take gloves off. Trying to use an “all purpose” hand protector.

kmtakinkm

I do not wear gloves because I won’t have gloves on if attacked on the street and I neeed the “real” feeling on my fists and, as importantly, my wrists when punching. One caveat to this; if we are in a prolonged punching exercise or work on a havey bag I’ll use gloves for protection.

kmyoshi

Yes. Occasionally I’ll do some pad work without gloves to make sure I’m doing the right technique and not rolling my wrists but I’ve had many people training different arts tell me to wear gloves and hand wraps for safety purposes. I don’t take their advice lightly.

don

quote KMMAN:

If so, when and what type?

Yes and no – depends on what I’m doing.

off the top of my head:
    Boxing gloves for heavier sparring and stand up only sparring.
    Cotton work gloves inside my boxing gloves to help absorb sweat.
    MMA type gloves for light sparring while grappling (sometimes boxing gloves for heavier sparring while grappling and/or grappling with less gripping ability).
    MMA type gloves for striking on abrasive surfaces (or if I already have open cuts/abrasions on my knuckles/hands).
    Lacrosse and/or Hockey gloves for heavier stickfighting/sparring (MMA gloves for light).
    MMA type gloves or lacrosse/hockey gloves for padded suit training (as a bad guy).

Most of the time, I’d prefer to strike/impact with as little padding as possible but I wouldn’t recommend that for everyone, especially beginners.

Pros and cons for wearing hand protection or not. One pro is that you reduce the chance of getting each other’s blood/bodily fluids in each other’s open cuts/abrasions. Having to wipe blood off/disinfect every time you switch the pad back and forth between partners will get old really quick…

wds2

I used to wear the gel-padded light weight gloves but blew them out quickly. I’ve now moved to the standard MMA gloves for heavy bag exercises.

Depending on the which focus mitt drills we’re doing I’ll ditch the gloves and go bare knuckles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: