Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    co611

Going through some notes getting ready for a new academy class to start soon and wanted to get other opinion of disengaging an armed subject.
    During the edged weapon training we went over the defense all the way through the disarming of the attacker, we also covered disengaging the attacker leaving them with the knife as we access our firearm.

Question: Why would I want to leave the attacker with the knife, more than likely within 10′ of me too access my firearm? It seems that once I have established control (or shared control) of the knife I would want to continue my combatives until I could get the knife away.

Knowing that under extreme tress their is a chance you could “hitch” your draw or depending on the terrain stumble, what would be the benefit of this?

You have the 21′ rule that we have all seen on the range.

just wanted some outside opinions

thanks
    dave

kirsten

Re: edged weapon

Well we try to stress that you are not obligated to do the takeaway and that it is situational because of so many factors outside of our control as you stated. If you can do a disarm, then go ahead. If you cannot, then perhaps taking the gamble of disengaging and drawing is the better option, or trying to maintain control and drawing with one hand… it really depends on so many variables, that is why we are hesitant to say it MUST be one way or another.

Let say for example I am fighting over an edged weapon with a much larger assailant and I have made a defense and delivered combatives. I may not be able to adequately “soften them up” for the takeaway and I need to switch to an alternate plan. Pattern is death and if I keep doing the same thing without results I may lose my gained advantage when I made the initial defense. I need to switch gears quickly before they catch on to my OODA loop so to say. The best option may be to disengage, draw and shoot from the hip. I cannot stress the importance of practicing “contact shots” and other “short range shooting” drills for this very reason.

Now let’s also think about a partner or back up arriving. They see you fighting with a subject with a knife. They better have
    A. drawn a taser.
    B. drawn their weapon and have it at low ready.
    C. striking the subject with an impact weapon in a “red zone” 🙂 deadly force my friends, it warrants it.

Now, if they aren’t beating the suspect in the head while you are struggling for control of the weapon and they have their weapon ready when you disengage to create distance- what should they do as you are drawing your weapon? Getting ready to use lethal force. With you disengaged, they may have a good shot and be ready for it. So this disengaging drill is very good also. So is communication with other officers in a fight.

The more you fight over an edged weapon, the more likely you will get cut- and you will get cut, we just have to minimize the damage. If the terrain is slick, rocky, etc then perhaps staying in the pocket struggling over an edged weapon is not going to be the best option. This only serves to highlight the importance of delivering a simultaneous, strong and accurate counter attack as you make your defense. Capitalize on that advantage and use those split seconds to continuously take an assessment of your evolving situation and decide on the best course of action.

Really good question!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: