Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Elite XC Shamrock vs Gracie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Did anyone see the fights yesterday? Some pretty good ones. The main event, Frank Shamrock vs Renzo Gracie ended with a DQ for Shamrock after he kneed Gracie in the back of the head from the ground position. Gracie was dazed and had a concussion, so he couldn’t continue.

Renzo was side-mounted on Frank, near the fence and Frank was able to get his legs up on the fence, then he let the knee crash down onto Renzo’s neck from there. The strikes didn’t even look like much in the replay, but they were very effective.

It makes sense to ban those types of strikes in a competition, but it seemed as though they could be very effective in a street fight, maybe the best thing you could do if you should find yourself in that position. Although, if you are unable to post your legs up against a wall or cage, it may be harder to strike with any force.

There was also an interesting girl MMA fight and a good knockout knee to the head.

vicious

i didn’t see the fight… but i’ve heard all about it.

Frank knew the rule, he should have been DQ’ed.

i will watch the fight tonight.

In terms of a real fight i’m totally for doing whatever you have to do to get out of a submissive position. While i usually believe in \”position before submission,\” meaning place an emphasis on getting to a better position instead of attacking while in a submissive position, if the knees help you transition then go for it.

i just hope people wouldn’t put too much \”faith\” in knees from that position to think they would usually be a viable fight ending technique. As long as they don’t lose track of what their goal should be (to get to a better position) and don’t simply try to attack from the bottom, knees could open up an opportunity to buck/shrimp/roll the man on top.

But AGAIN, the knees should only be seen as a means to help you transition, not as a fight ender IMO.

johnwhitman

I agree…and it seemed to me that’s how Shamrock was using them. He wasn’t throwing them as fight-enders. IMHO, they were meant to score points, de-stabilize Gracie, etc.

I actually agreed with Shamrock’s attitude at the end..he shrugged it off. Clearly, the fights need rules, but that seems like a fairly innocuous way to lose a fight:DQ for giving someone knees while you’re on your back.

la-revancha

IMO, that was one of the surrealist endings to a fight, up there with:

Rahman’s forehead:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38050000/jpg/_38050430_rahman150.jpg

McCall’s breakdown in the ring:
    http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/images/deportes/box/2006/01/box_mccall_3.jpg

And Diego Sanchez celebrating after Marcelinho SUBMITTED HIM in ADCC last year.

Not so much because of the DQ, more because of Renzo’s freak trauma.

What ultimately happened to Renzo? Looked like his vision was impaired. I hope he’s okay. He’s probably the classiest of the Gracie clan.

anonymous

But the knees seemed to have indeed been very effective. Didn’t look like Renzo was faking it. He really looked pretty dazed. I believe Shamrock got some extra power because he had been able to put his leg up against the cage. I tried this out after the fight and putting the legs up against a wall positions the knee right above the other person’s head and gravity also helps to make it a strong strike downwards. The back of the neck is very vulnerable, so maybe Shamrock just happened to hit the right spot twice in a row.

I agree it seems strange that someone would be disqualified for kneeing while on his back, but if those are the rules and he had been warned before, I guess they had no choice but to DQ him after Renzo was unable to continue.

I also agree that generally it’s better to try and get out of that position, but if you can’t at that point in time, it may be a good strike to try, even if it won’t knock the person out, maybe it’ll stun him for a moment, giving you a chance at escape. There are really few other effective strikes to do from the bottom position.

vicious

i can’t believe that Frank’s girlfriend called Renzo a pussy… 😯

talk about classless..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: