Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Ever had to use Krav in true self defense?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    brewerm

I am curious, other than military, police, bar bouncers or people who put themselves in situations that have the a high probability for violence, have any of you been randomly attacked? or had an altercation with someone that escalated to unexpected violence? How did Krav fare in the “real world”

kpalena

Re: Ever had to use Krav in true self defense?

Yes….that is all I can say.

brewerm

Did it perform as you expected?

gp

This subject was discussed on a couple of previous threads so just do a search on the topic… here is one that comes to my mind:

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=1436

kpalena

quote brewerm:

Did it perform as you expected?

In reality, I was suprised at the amount of control I was able to maintain once I realized that the other party did not know what they were doing. The danger was over very quickly.

satilan

Good thread!

I only had 3 “incidents” after starting to study Krav Maga. Luckily though, none of them were real fights… but I think they can really illustrate how Krav Maga works for you and how it “performs” in real life. The third is the one where the most KM was employed… feel free to just skip there.

We were sitting at a friend’s house when a friend of my friend arrived with his group. This guy was notorious for being a bully and sooner than later him and I faced off over something really stupid – I can’t even remember what it was anymore. We were starring at each other, jaws locked – waiting for the other guy to pull the first move. This was very early in my training and I never saw his right hook coming, it hit me straight in the jaw – but I as adrenaline rushed in managed to connect with a very good jab to his face… I didn’t even know if I hit him! A couple of days after my friends told me he was walking around with this huge black eye!

This other time I was walking back home from a friend’s house, was about 17 at the time. As I walk past this low mural, I noticed two guys about my age sitting there just watching the cars. In my hometown that means they will soon be picking on me. When they started calling me, I continued walking, completely ignoring them, like I was used to doing. But these two were different, they actually jumped off the mural, one of the grabbing a broken piece of plastic shutters (about 2-3ft in length, and really hard). This is when I stopped and faced them. In my head, I was rehearsing stick defense over and over. But I stayed extremely calm. My training helped me in keeping them at a safe distance but in such a manner that they weren’t aware of it. I managed to talk my way out of it – just by showing confidence. As we were about to part, the guy holding the stick faked it as if he was getting ready to hit me with it… he never lifted the stick over his chest level… My hands and arms started reacting but luckily I noticed he stopped before they saw what I was doing (I would have had to fight them if they would have seen it).

The closest I ever got to actual fighting was when I went to play ball with my friend. He was my KM partner from my gym and we cared about no one. We were especially careless when while we were shooting hoops this group of 8-12 guys walk into the basketball court. All other people using the court started gradually leaving – but weren’t that smart. Soon enough they chose to mess with us. Some of them went after the ball and my friend, although I love him, was not a genius, and chased the guys with the ball around. They managed to separate us and I got surrounded by about 5-8 guys. Their leader, which we knew by name, was a notorious troublemaker with older brothers that kept the local jail busy. He was the only one (at first) that had enough guts to actually come up to me and start trying to pound on me… I didn’t square off, I didn’t need to. Minding my face and my groin, I let him pound as much as he wants on my chest and abdomen. It’s funny how when you train in apsorbtion with people who actually know how to punch, this sort of attack is just nothing for you… but mind you, I was watching intentely as my friend was running around, chasing the ball and they were starting to close up on me. Another 2-3 guys started getting enough courage to try to kick me from the sides… stepping away from some kicks and just turning my hips to absorb others (as they slide up your leg to connect with your butt) was very effective… none of their attacks hurt me in any way at all! But the best part is that I was so clear minded… I was looking around, waiting to see what my friend would do (it was his neighborhood, he knew them better). The punches kept coming in and the kicks were just sliding by… when my friend finally realized what was going on. Sorry guys, but we ended up running from there… We could have beaten those guys up, but luckily we didn’t. The week after that we heard one of the guy’s older brothers got released from jail and stabbed somebody with a broken bottle… I guess it was a smart choice.

All together, not the best stories – I’m sure you guys must have way better stories… but let’s just say I’m really glad b/c I wouldn’t want to get into a fight + KM got me out of many situations by giving me more self confidence and the ability to think clearly under physical threat…

THINK ABOUT IT

johnl-d11

Nope.. And I hope I never have to either.. Might hurt my hand or something. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: