Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

My intentions for learning Krav Maga are twofold. 1) personal self defense and more importantly 2) I want to be able to teach others to defend themselves. Especially those that predators would deem as weaker.

I came across an organization called Women’s self defense institute and in particular a program called Fight Like a Girl. The principles of which seem to mesh considerably with the basic premise of Krav.

I find infinite value in Krav in that I, myself, being a beginner can convey the concepts enough to teach others the basics of certain moves even at this point. Perfect example, in my daily life I am a personal strength trainer and have incorporated basic fight tactics – punches, bag work, etc, for years, into my clients programs. Yesterday, I took about 5 minutes with one of my 58 year old female clients and worked with her on a headlock from the side escape.

The value of which I find to be extremely high. Though not as thorough as I would someday like it to be, I am confident that even with 5 minutes of training she is now more capable to react to the side headlock situation. Just having the concepts tucked in the back of the head may give her enough knowledge to benefit her in the future.

On the personal side, my goals with this are extremely close to home as I have two little girls that I will teach everything I learn. They will not be conditioned to be victims and they will not be easy targets.

Anyway, after my rambling tome, my question is; does anybody have experience with the Fight Like a Girl program and if so, what are your opinions.

thanks for your time, it is truly appreciated.
    rp

maskedkat

I’ve never heard of it, but I love the concept! Damn, I gotta get a t-shirt now that says WARNING: I FIGHT LIKE A GIRL!

Do you have the website?

anonymous

http://www.rapeescape.com/

This is the main site and it has a link within it.

rp

anonymous

Additionally, if anybody has experience with similar organizations I would be interested in hearing that as well.

thanks
    rp

megandw

I think that no matter what program you end up seeking, you should always keep with Krav Maga. I have been doing Krav Maga for almost 5 years, and even though I am still very young, I feel extremely competent in defending myself, and in teaching others to do the same. The training that you will get with Krav Maga is practical, and because it is applicable no matter if you are a man or woman, big or small, it can be extremely useful if you actually have to use it.

anonymous

Thanks for your response and I completely agree. Krav is definitely first priority. Everything else would be to supplement my training and add experience.

psyops

FIGHT LIKE A GIRL

All,

A few months ago we were approached by the Fight Like a Girl organization. This is an organization that is sponsored by the Oxygen network! Anyways we were approached and asked to teach a two hour basic self defense course. We were of course honored and we obliged. I was able to demonstrate and teach some very basic techniques to a group of about 75 women.

We had a great time. Of course it is impossible to become proficient in a mere two hours. That being said it was important that these ladies understood that they have a choice when confronted by the bad guys. I hope this helps.

I think that the FIGHT LIKE A GIRL group is doing a noble job. They should be applauded.

maskedkat

Coming from you, Psyops, higher praise can’t be found.

Women’s self-defense has come a looonng way. I remember when I was about 12 reading a self-defense article in one of my mom’s magazines. They advised against fighting back, and suggested telling a rapist you’re pregnant in hopes that it would arouse sympathy…. were we really that lame not so long ago?

giant-killer

😯 Wow, really? Betting on the sympathetic rapist. Not my idea of self-defense… 🙁

gerber

fight like a girl

If any one is interested, I’m a director and instructor at ‘Fight like a girl tkm’
    in Australia.
    We are a Tactical Krav Maga school, and we focus on teaching women effective self defence.

Both Adori Bubble, the Chief instructor and and I were cerftifed by Mr. Itay Gil, who came out from Israel, to Australia to take us through our Instructors workshop and exams. This was after we’d both passed thru the ten levels in Tactical Krav Maga, and had been examined in each [3 years].

The main point I wanted to make is the feeling of confidence, and the empowering of women by teaching Krav Maga is the best thing [in my opinon] about our schools.

Happy to talk to anyone about Krav and females, and happy to hear any constructive criticisim.
    BTW the link to the tshirts etc, listed by stogus is to our gear.
    Regards,
    Gerber.

vwr32

Re:

quote \”MaskedKat\:

Coming from you, Psyops, higher praise can’t be found.

Women’s self-defense has come a looonng way. I remember when I was about 12 reading a self-defense article in one of my mom’s magazines. They advised against fighting back, and suggested telling a rapist you’re pregnant in hopes that it would arouse sympathy…. were we really that lame not so long ago?

It hasn’t been that long ago, I remember my wife going thru classes addressing what to do in such situations… they usually embraced the idea that \”survival\” keyed on passive acceptance of the situation if screaming wasn’t going to help.

How far they’ve come. It’s almost engrained in the philosophy that women *can’t* physically be victorious in an altercation with a male attacker. What I like about krav is the ability to almost instantly turn the victim into the attacker. It ceases to be gender based victory because knees and elbows cause real damage no matter who throws them.

Case in point: Gina Carano. It’s not that \”she’s good for a girl\”, she’s just plain dangerous in the ring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bl-dTIjO8Q

maskedkat

Wowwwww…. she is awesome!! I have a new role model. THanks for that link!

vwr32

Re:

quote \”MaskedKat\:

Wowwwww…. she is awesome!! I have a new role model. THanks for that link!

It’s a video I showed my wife as well… for no other reason that the only thing separating a victim from a victor on the streets is training. I put a thai bag in the garage and now she’s practicing (still working on getting her to try krav classes). She’s even started watching IFL with me… so we’re heading in the right direction.

Gina Carano is a role model for anyone wanting to see how it’s done, including me. Glad you liked the link, here she is again (20 second clip).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmSME9EJYc&NR=1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: