Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Fight Science – National Geographic Channel Program

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    kravmdjeff

Any training system is as good as it’s instructors. The problem is that there are many, many horrible TKD instructors out there. I had very good TKD instruction, and I was well prepared to do a variety of other sorts of training as a result.

But we’ve had this conversation over and over, so I doubt we would get anywhere from having it again

psyops

People on Horseback are hard to hit?

Kill the god damn horse!

clfmak

Some training methods make it easier to transmit ideas, while others do not. For example, if I teach you how to punch correctly and you only practice punching air, the concepts will not be as solidified as if I actually had you hit something. If I only punch air, I might never get it. If I taught you how to bridge and roll without an opponent, there might be some things missing and your understanding and ability to apply it will be limited. My point is that training methods are more important than the system. A lot of TKD training methods, at least what I have seen, are not streamlined for developing a fighter- hitting air, lots of forms, sparring with weird rule sets, lots of streching, developing jumping spinning kicks etc. I’m not going to say that TKD can’t be trained in useful ways- but due to a proliferation of iffy training methods, which I suspect comes from making a kid friendly curriculum. I’ve seen some pretty effective looking TKD stuff- just not from the average American school. Anyway, Kim Jong Il’s bodyguards seem to have some pretty hardcore TKD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRVTUVIaiQ&mode=related&search=

emil

I wonder if they didn’t show the close protection drills and sparring?

kmcat

Re:

… Kim Jong Il’s bodyguards seem to have some pretty hardcore TKD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRVTUVIaiQ&mode=related&search=

Since the source of this film is the North Korean government, I strongly suspect this is propaganda to show how invincible Kim Jong Ill is. I would wager that those sticks are mostly sawn through.

clfmak

North Korea has some of the most hardcore propaganda in the world, so that may be true. However, the guy that was interviewed was a former bodyguard, not a current one, and has little reason to embellish what he says. He said that from the time you got up, he made you hit stuff, and the bodyguard remembers breaking like eleven bricks once.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: