Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Food/drink for sustained energy or endurance…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sicpuppy

Hello all…

It has been a while, been real busy!

Tomorrow night is my grueling 4 1/2 hour Level 1 testing.

Tonight I am planning on pasta. Should it be with or without meat?

What should I eat or drink during the day? What about during the very rare hydration/snack breaks during the test (there are no breaks for the first two hours)? Which friuts are best? What about afterwards for recovery?

I normally drink about a half gallon of ice water every day, and even more during krav. But should I be drinking gatorade, powerade, or what?

I don’t know the difference from a simple sugar to a complex carbohydrate to high or low protein. Can you make suggestions as to what is best for this torturous exercise?

TIA

kmyoshi

Re: Food/drink for sustained energy or endurance…

Personally for me I use to drink Gatorade during regular training and found that the sugar would make my saliva thicken up, thus making it harder for me to breathe. If you can run with regular water I suggest that, but I switched over to coconut water. If you’re use to only drinking water during training I wouldn’t switch to something like Gatorade during the test as you may or may not be use to it. For my Level 1 test I ate oatmeal with granola, a banana and a Clif bar. I also took a bite or two when we had our short breaks of a Clif bar. I think it would be fine if you ate meat tonight with your pasta but don’t eat any meat for breakfast tomorrow unless you’re eating at least 2 hours before (for me 2 hours isn’t enough time for my body to digest, I learned the hard way as I ate a pulled pork sandwich 2 hours beforehand and trained that day and wanted to vomit).

Afterward I would definitely grab a high protein shake or bar so your body can recover, eat this within 30 minutes after the test as this is when your body can absorb it the most (from what I was told from a bodybuilding buddy of mine). Good luck on your test! Don’t give up!

I’d avoid ice water for daily hydration and go with cool water to slightly cooler than room temperature water. Gatorade is good for short-term rehydration, but it is not a good substitute for water for activities lasting more than an hour. Even still, most bottles give you two or more servings, so you don’t need to drink the whole thing. Take a protein bar approximately 1.5-2 hours prior to your test, and if you have some BCAA (branch-chain amino acid) pills, take one serving approximately half an hour before your test. If you get fruits in the middle of the test, go with an apple and a banana. Those have saved me many a time during long conditioning forced marches in the Corps. Do a very, very good stretch the AFTERNOON before your test, and make sure you don’t over stretch. Post exercise, soak yourself in a warm bath with some epsom salt (skin tolerance/allergy permitting) and make sure you eat foods in moderation. It will take a few days to recover, so for about 10-15 min a day after your test I’d do light exercise to get your heart rate up and a light sweat, followed by stretching. The 30 minute window for protein/BCAA/creatien intake is about right, but don’t freak out if you can’t get it within 30 minutes. Afterall, mankind fought and survived without it for a very long time. Good luck!
    As a friendly piece of advice: don’t drink too much gatorade/powerade or you will get a raging migraine. Take a few sips of gatorade and finish up with water. If your urine isn’t clear, you’re not hydrated. If you get thirsty and decide to start drinking water, you’re already behind the power curve.

sicpuppy

quote TacticalTimmy:

If you get thirsty and decide to start drinking water, you’re already behind the power curve.

Yeah, I have always been taught this too- drink before you are thirsty. But then why is it the instructor runs you hard for 2 hours before the first 30 second hydration break during testing?

kmyoshi

Hell for my test when the instructor was giving instructions during the workshop, I took sips of Gatorade/water. TacticalTimmy is correct, whether it be working out or on the job or at the beach, once you feel the need to drink water, you’re already dehydrated.

How was your test?

sicpuppy

quote KMyoshi:

Hell for my test when the instructor was giving instructions during the workshop, I took sips of Gatorade/water. TacticalTimmy is correct, whether it be working out or on the job or at the beach, once you feel the need to drink water, you’re already dehydrated.

How was your test?

Testing was HELL for FIVE hours!!! It started at 6pm, and finished at 11:15pm. It was fully two hours before the first 30 second hydration break! I sucked down a ton of gatorade and water! In fact, now that I think about it, I downed 2 quarts of water and a bottle of Gatorade, and I didn’t pee the whole night!

I totally brain farted during the kickboxing and Kicking combinations parts… it was at the end of testing and I was a bit ‘frazzled’… lol I have been training the kickboxing for 10 months and even at home with my daughter (who also tested last night) so I know the sets and combinations. But I just could not remember a thing and kept messing up the sets.

Everything else went OK I think…. I hope!

This was just Level 1 testing, but I now seriously fear Level 2 testing… lol

I should find out in a week or two if I passed I reckon.

Next time go with water or heated calming tea in a thermos. 😎

kmyoshi

That’s how it is! In the heat of the moment, most of what you are taught kinda goes out of the window which is why Krav Maga always does strenuous drills. You should definitely look into the fight classes or see if your level 2 does any sparring or live training. This will definitely help you. At my center it all depends on who the instructor is that will permit sparring in level 2 classes, hence why I take the fight classes cause there’s definitely sparring there.

I hope you passed!

sicpuppy

Things did not go so well for me…:(:

During my testing, I was also fighting a hurt lower back and severe sciatica down my left leg.

So, I was not able to bend as much as I should have, nor could I do the kicks as well as I should have. This lost me many points, as well as my kickboxing screw-up. :banghead:

As far as the kickboxing, I went back a few days later and went through all the sets and combos with no problems as I have for months. I am really confused as to why I could not remember them during testing. I have been in many, much more stressful situations in my career/life and always performed the way I should have.:confused:

Oh well, I am not quite Level 2 yet, and require further evaluation over the next month or so. But, my instructor knew I have been fighting with a bad back and my leg for the past couple of months, so he is taking that into consideration I guess. We shall see.:dunno:

unstpabl1

i use beer for my energy drink it gives me clarity of thought. Plus it makes me smarter and everyone else better looking thumbsup
    Good job on your test

Using the herd method of thought, drinking beer kills off the slower brain cells and makes the brain faster and more efficient. 🙂

don

quote unstpabl1:

i use beer for my energy drink it gives me clarity of thought. Plus it makes me smarter and everyone else better looking thumbsup
    Good job on your test

For Mike’s next workout session:

Think we can have RevGear mass produce it? :D:

SP, I’m sure you did better than you thought – stay motivated! I’d rather be a better skilled/trained lower ranked student than a barely passed higher ranked student! 😉

unstpabl1

quote Don:

For Mike’s next workout session:

Think we can have RevGear mass produce it? :D:

SP, I’m sure you did better than you thought – stay motivated! I’d rather be a better skilled/trained lower ranked student than a barely passed higher ranked student! 😉

rofl2I’d look exactly like that guy if he had less hair and was rounder

Don as usual brings up a great point. we always are harder on ourselves than we would be on anyone else. We are always better than we thought…not saying that critical analysis isn’t important but MOST of us tend to undervalue ourselves and our efforts and overvalue everyone elses…Gen Patton urged us to develope a superiority complex because most men have inferiority complex and I recently read that the number 1 belief that people have that holds them back is I”m Not good Enough…..think what we could accomplish if we flipped that switch…What could you accomplish?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: