Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kevin-mack
    kevin-mack

Re: footage of Imi

Here is footage of Imi during one of his visits to the US..I think this is in Cleveland?
    On the right is Alan Feldman and on the left is Rick Blitstein the other two graduates of the 1981 instructor course in Israel along with Darren Levine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vmTCbfFq5BA

giant-killer

Cool, I’ll check it out later.

giant-killer

Okay, saw the second one (I’ll load the first one next). It’s really cool, thanks for posting it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen video of Imi before. Looks like maybe the whole session had been taped, but those are only the last few seconds. I wonder what happened to the rest of the tape? If there are any other videos of Imi out there, especially of him instructing, I think it would be great to collect them and make them available to students somehow, maybe even make a special DVD of it or so, so those who never had the chance to meet him in person can get some idea of what he was like and how he was performing the exercises and such.

Again, thanks for posting!

giant-killer

Great stuff. The first link actually shows Imi performing some of the techniques. A few things I’ve noticed: For gun from the back touching, he seems to spin, then grab the attacker’s elbow (as opposed to trap his wrist, the way we are usually doing it). He also punches instead of elbows, probably because the attacker is taller (shows it’s okay for me to punch to a larger attacker).

For gun from the front, he seems to push the gun straight down, not having it touch the attacker’s body at all.

For overhead knife, he seems to block first, then punch, probably because he is standing at a bit of an angle to the attacker? It also looks like maybe he is blocking more with his upper forearm than his wrist?

Just a few things I saw. That footage is pretty good, one would think there should also be more of it. Maybe, if all KM organizations got together and started searching, one would find enough footage of Imi to release a special video. I’m sure a lot of students would like to get it.

satilan

quote Giant Killer:

For gun from the front, he seems to push the gun straight down, not having it touch the attacker’s body at all.

This is the technique mostly taught in Israeli KM schools.
    I don’t know why in America they teach to have the gun touch the opponent’s hip (I mean I don’t know from where it came, I’m not saying it’s wrong).

If you’ve seen the Human Weapon KM episode, this guy teaches them pistol disarms in the forest? (We never trained in the forest BTW, it’s all for show). So there you can see that his “KM” disarms do not involve neither the gun touching the opponent nor a punch to the face between the redirection of the gun and the disarm… it just goes: redirection, disarm.

giant-killer

But the gun disarms shown in “Human Weapon” aren’t really KM at all. It’s Commando Krav Maga, a different system with a similar sounding name.

As for the gun defense, we usually end up with the gun touching the attacker’s body in practice, however the most important thing is to keep weight on the weapon, so it wouldn’t be seen as wrong if the gun doesn’t touch the assailant.

satilan

quote Giant Killer:

But the gun disarms shown in “Human Weapon” aren’t really KM at all. It’s Commando Krav Maga, a different system with a similar sounding name.

As for the gun defense, we usually end up with the gun touching the attacker’s body in practice, however the most important thing is to keep weight on the weapon, so it wouldn’t be seen as wrong if the gun doesn’t touch the assailant.

Yes, I think you could be right about it being Commando KM.
    However, I’m still trying to remember the gun disarms from my training in Israel… it was over 8 years ago and I’m having a hard time remembering but I suspect we didn’t let it touch the body of the attacker either…

buddie

Man al the links on these older pages are dead. Bummer.

gutcha

Does someone has a valid link to these videos ?

hashgunner
    quote buddie:

Man al the links on these older pages are dead. Bummer.

That’s too bad. I would have loved to see them as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: