Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos For the First Time Ever: Official IDF Krav Maga Tutorial

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hello fellow Krav Maga fans,

For the first time, we at the IDF offer people to learn Krav Maga through a set of videos showing its basic moves. Check it out and give us your honest opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVJ8WjCi8Lg&noredirect=1

hila

Re: For the First Time Ever: Official IDF Krav Maga Tutorial

Love that video!! Thanks for sharing!

stuartf

Overall, I like it, but there were 2 things that bothered me. The first is that her simulated combatives are pulled far from her training partner. Look at the groin kick not even going between his legs.

Second, the defense for bear-hug from the front, she goes straight for the eyes, where I’ve been taught to “base and space” (essentially drop your weight, land in a wide stance with hips back and arms pushing the attacker’s hips back). That prevents you from getting lifted off the ground and works even if your arms are caught in the bear-hug. If you’re lifted off the ground and arms are free, going for the eyes is a good option though.

kevinmack

The way you described is a newer KMW variation.I assume as I have only seen their instructors teach it the way you described and in Darrens book. I I was always taught(and teach) the way it is shown in the video. Pushing back on the philtrum or eyes.
    I am not saying one ways is better or worse. I am sure they had a valid reason for changing it.
    I love variety as long as it is from authentic sources.

quote stuartf:

Overall, I like it, but there were 2 things that bothered me. The first is that her simulated combatives are pulled far from her training partner. Look at the groin kick not even going between his legs.

Second, the defense for bear-hug from the front, she goes straight for the eyes, where I’ve been taught to “base and space” (essentially drop your weight, land in a wide stance with hips back and arms pushing the attacker’s hips back). That prevents you from getting lifted off the ground and works even if your arms are caught in the bear-hug. If you’re lifted off the ground and arms are free, going for the eyes is a good option though.

kmyoshi

Sometimes the base and space doesn’t even work (for me). I got lifted by a guy 6’+ and probably had at least 100 pounds on me during a “shark tank” drill (where one person is in the middle and 3+ people attack said person in middle and they have to defend against various chokes, headlocks, bear hugs, 360, etc.). Granted this was bear hug from behind, so I had to latch one leg onto his leg and do a kick to the groin with my foot (the backward one) It might have worked better if it was a bear hug from the front… I will try this next time.

stuartf

quote KevinMack:

The way you described is a newer KMW variation.I assume as I have only seen their instructors teach it the way you described and in Darrens book. I I was always taught(and teach) the way it is shown in the video. Pushing back on the philtrum or eyes.
    I am not saying one ways is better or worse. I am sure they had a valid reason for changing it.

I didn’t realize that was a change that KMWW had made. KMWW does use the pushing into the eyes defense, but it’s taught more as a fall back for if you get lifted. If I had to guess at the reason for the change I’d go with it might take a second to find the eyes especially if the attacker turns his head to the side as he makes contact, so making space might have a better chance of keeping your feet on the ground.

quote :

I love variety as long as it is from authentic sources.

No argument there :D:

Awesome ! :beer:

mara-jade

quote stuartf:

Bear hug from the front the way Stuart’s describing isn’t new for me. I learned it that way years ago. Dropping the weight hubby couldn’t pick me up:D:

rickprado

In the bear hug from behind, I have been taught to forget about the elbows to the back of the head for the following reason:

If the attacker has his head buried into the back of your neck, or back, depending on height, you will not catch him with an elbow, and you will waste precious time as you can get thrown down,roll forward, etc….I’ve seen people who have been taught this continually try and elbow and not connect.

We drop the weight and or wrap the foot around so you can’t be picked up and immediately start attacking with a foot stomp(s) or heel kicks and more importantly, beating the crap out of the attackers hands with our knuckles to get him to loosen the grip and follow up with more attacks.

For those of you who haven’t experienced this, let someone do it to you, and ask them to pretend they are violently knocking on a door, expect it’s the small bones on your hand….I’ve yet to see someone not open up.

There are other more elaborate things we do, that involves locks and takedowns, but this is the one I teach to beginners as it works against all grips due to the amount of pain caused.

My thanks to Rick Blitstein for the knuckle rap, it has served me well on different occasions……..:wav:

Thoughts?

splatcat

Interesting. We just did the “base & space” in class today, so it’s still fresh in my mind as I read this. The method used for going for the eyes looks to be pretty “reliable”, meaning that it’s not nearly as much of a ‘precision’ move as I’d initially feared when reading this thread. I think I’ll have to try it with some of my classmates before I make a final decision on it…

http://youtu.be/S7ArFlExjws

They uploaded the newest video in the series!

quote TheDarkKnight:

http://youtu.be/S7ArFlExjws

They uploaded the newest video in the series!

Saw that and I thought of Lions & how naive he is about the arabs. Tried to make him understand how it is different over there. :banghead:

Maybe a trip to Israel would open his eyes to the realities of being Jewish. Pow-Pow :box:

Victory over the arabs. :woohoo:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: