Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Gear for the new students…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sicpuppy

Hello,

I have my family training in Krav at a local school.

I am looking for information regarding personal equipment. For instance, should we go with hand wraps or gloves, or nothing at all.

What kind of handwraps? I see many types- cotton, cotton/polyester, polyester/spandex, elastic, etc… I figure 180″ for me and wifey, and maybe smaller wraps for the kids- If we go this route. But, our instructor said the handwraps have a tendency to come undone during training…

As far as gloves- there are so many types/styles/brands I am at a complete loss. Grappling style, MMA style, heavy padded, light padding, leather, artificial materials, spandex, etc…

I think we need something for our hands mostly for working with the bags and pads. What do you all think?

There are few sources for this stuff near me other than one Sports Authority, and I really do not like them (way expensive), so I am likely to have to buy them over the web. I will not be able to try things on for comfort or fit first- unless I head into the cities and find a store there…

bear34

Re: Gear for the new students…

quote ghostvet:

Hello,

I have my family training in Krav at a local school.

I am looking for information regarding personal equipment. For instance, should we go with hand wraps or gloves, or nothing at all.

What kind of handwraps? I see many types- cotton, cotton/polyester, polyester/spandex, elastic, etc… I figure 180″ for me and wifey, and maybe smaller wraps for the kids- If we go this route. But, our instructor said the handwraps have a tendency to come undone during training…

As far as gloves- there are so many types/styles/brands I am at a complete loss. Grappling style, MMA style, heavy padded, light padding, leather, artificial materials, spandex, etc…

I think we need something for our hands mostly for working with the bags and pads. What do you all think?

There are few sources for this stuff near me other than one Sports Authority, and I really do not like them (way expensive), so I am likely to have to buy them over the web. I will not be able to try things on for comfort or fit first- unless I head into the cities and find a store there…

Unfortunately, you really won’t know whats best until you try it out.
    Check this out…….
    www.titleboxing.com

sicpuppy

quote bear34:

Unfortunately, you really won’t know whats best until you try it out.
    Check this out…….
    www.titleboxing.com

Agreed…

However, people that use the stuff are in a better position to advise me than I am since I have limited options close to home…

stuartf

I highly recommend wraps, they’ll support your wrists and the small bones in your hands as well as providing some protection from the nicks you’ll get from the pads. Definitely go for the 180s for an adult male. I didn’t pay much attention to the material. I’ve found that when wrapped properly they don’t come loose during class unless I’m doing something like plucks where my partner is pulling at my hands. We usually do that stuff at the end of class though, so I just take them off or live with them getting loose. I use this method to wrap them: http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/wraps/reverse/index.htm

sicpuppy

quote stuartf:

I highly recommend wraps, they’ll support your wrists and the small bones in your hands as well as providing some protection from the nicks you’ll get from the pads. Definitely go for the 180s for an adult male. I didn’t pay much attention to the material. I’ve found that when wrapped properly they don’t come loose during class unless I’m doing something like plucks where my partner is pulling at my hands. We usually do that stuff at the end of class though, so I just take them off or live with them getting loose. I use this method to wrap them: http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/wraps/reverse/index.htm

Thank you Stuartf….

If you have a choice about what you get to use, I’m a big fan of Hayabusa Fightwear. I’ve been using their shorts and a pair of their hybrid mma sparring gloves for about a year and a half now. I double duty them for sparring and bag/pad work out of class, since they school I’m at has an equipment restriction. If I had a choice in the matter, though, I’d buy Hayabusa stuff exclusively. I’d say light stuff for pads and focus mits, such as regular mma gloves, get a good 8-12 ounce set for bag work and 14+ ounces if you’re going to heavily spar and don’t require much dexterity for disarming, just for punching. If not the heavy glove, go with a thicker padded mma glove. +100 on the 180 wraps, they’ll save your wrists and keep you training much longer. Buy a few pairs though, and air them out following training. I’ve seen a few guys ball up/re-roll their wraps only to unroll the wrap for use and discover mold. Same goes for gloves, mouthpieces and shin guards.

kravnovice69
    Blocked

Can someone import some qu’rans to 123 Troll Street, Abbotobad, Pakistan, for some Krav Maga refining. Greatly appreciated. Allah is great.

hebrewdewd
    Blocked

In my personal opinion, wearing nothing is the best method of training. When I was a kid, my father taught me Krav bare handed and bare footed. Of course, this was just outside Jerusalem while we were in the middle of Lebanese artillery fire, but I am now on E3 grade Krav in a prestigous Sydney, Australia centre. You should train without gear on, because you won’t be wearing your gear in a real life situation.

My brother found some gloves when we were training with dad and wore them everywhere he went, just in case they were needed. When he was killed by a rabid monkey in the streets of Mecca, he had taken the gloves off. A few years later, I found a Cantonese merchant selling them on my street corner. When I asked where he got them from he told me, “Ni shao shi ma.” To this day I don’t know what it means. Does anyone speak Cantonese here? =P

krav-is-lyfe
    Blocked

Yeah, like i remember when i was growing up in Manama, Jordan, my father and I would train using achilles holds and toe blocks because it was the most efficient way of defending ourselves if Palestinians were to randomly raid our house at any time.

Thank goodness I’m L2 in KM, because almost a year ago to this day, while i was visiting my family in Tel-Aviv, we were ambushed by PLO members. They hijacked us and demanded $100000 US in ransom. They tied us all to chairs, but because of my extensive KM education, i untied myself and gave them all the 60 seconds treatment.

Let’s just say all these PLO members that raided my house now all live 6ft underground =P

donjon
    Blocked

i must say it is nice informative post good to know that thanks for sharing this post

inky

Revgear, 360Gear, Everlast, Hyabusa, warrior, fairtex have been great brands for me. Id go just wraps and maybe a $25 set of boxing gloves till after L1. after that you should have a better idea of what you need. Also the materiel of the wraps wont matter much, i like the mexican style spandex ones as well as just cotton.

stuartf

quote TacticalTimmy:

Buy a few pairs though, and air them out following training. I’ve seen a few guys ball up/re-roll their wraps only to unroll the wrap for use and discover mold. Same goes for gloves, mouthpieces and shin guards.

Ew, I launder mine after every use. I got a mesh bag that I found near the laundry detergent at the store (it’s supposed to be for washing lingerie) I put them in that so they don’t tangle around everything and wash it with the rest of my gym clothes.

coreysalazar

quote stuartf:

Ew, I launder mine after every use. I got a mesh bag that I found near the laundry detergent at the store (it’s supposed to be for washing lingerie) I put them in that so they don’t tangle around everything and wash it with the rest of my gym clothes.

When I use to be student I used lingerie bag and nice detergent to wash my clothes. It serves perfect with no damage to clothes and nice clean clothes

coreysalazar

quote CoreySalazar:

When I use to be student I used cheap lingerie bag and nice detergent to wash my clothes. It serves perfect with no damage to clothes and nice clean clothes

Yes the bags like lingerie act as a protective cover and not cause any damage to clothes..

tommaldinho

Hi I’m new to Krav looking for some advice on footwear….Boxing boots or wrestling shoes ….or martial arts trainers?? Any suggestions /experience greatly appreciated!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: