Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books good video on gun defense and what happens when you grab the barrel

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    stuartf

Re: good video on gun defense and what happens when you grab the barrel

One of the gun ranges I’ve been to has a revolver that looks like that with a sign over it that says something like “Why we don’t let you shoot your ammo in our guns.” I asked about it and they said someone put in cartridges that were way too “hot” (too much gunpowder) for the gun which was one of their rentals.

wiccaman

quote stuartf:

One of the gun ranges I’ve been to has a revolver that looks like that with a sign over it that says something like “Why we don’t let you shoot your ammo in our guns.” I asked about it and they said someone put in cartridges that were way too “hot” (too much gunpowder) for the gun which was one of their rentals.

I used to reload my own cartridges (being a stereotypical tight Yorkshireman). On occasions a double load would sneak through.

Then it was: bang, bang, bang, BANG!!!, F***!

sicpuppy

quote Chocolate Soldier:

Jeff Cooper’s Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I:ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

I would modify these rules just a bit…

Ghostvet’s Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED- ALWAYS!!!

RULE II: KEEP YOUR TRIGGER FINGER ALONG THE GUN AND OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE III: NEVER POINT THE WEAPON AT ANYTHING/ANYONE YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY/KILL

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

RULE V: BE SURE OF YOUR BACKSTOP

sicpuppy

Keep in mind something…

When you call the police to report you just disarmed a thug, you do not know what the responding cops have been told.

While you may have told the 911 operator you just disarmed a thug and am holding him at gun point for the police, the responding cops may only have been told by the dispatcher “Man with a gun”, or even “Shots fired”.

Be prepared to be confronted hostile-like until they assess what is before them.

While you may be holding the gun (or your gun) on the thug, make sure you acknowledge their presence immediately, even before they get out of the car if possible.

If possible, hold your non-gun hand up in the air- palm towards the cops and say something to them so you establish communication with them right away. Better yet, stay on the phone with the 911 operator until the responding police have assessed the scene.

Once they are on the scene, do whatever they say, or do whatever you can to be sure you are not shot accidentally by the police.

Do not make an aggressive move towards the thug.

Remember, the object here is to go home safe!

wiccaman

[QUOTE=ghostvet;53480]I would modify these rules just a bit…

Don’t forget Rule 6:

No matter how responsible he seems, never give your gun to a monkey.

krav21

Handy trick. But does this work on all guns??

kmyoshi

Do we have a different variation of the gun disarm vs. revolver/cylinder guns?

eli

Honestly, Yoshi, while fun to think about, any distinction will quickly become academic when you perform the disarm under stress. It’s still a right-angle lever you need to transfer from his hand to yours without pointing it at yourself.

Mechanically, the revolver will fail to fire consecutively with sufficient pressure clamping the cylinder in place, as the cylinder rotates to the next chamber following each shot and can’t do so if it’s occluded or “fixed” to the frame by your hand. However, if the revolver fires, you will suffer more damage to your hand than you would with a semiauto because you’re bridging the cylinder gap behind the barrels, where gasses are let out. In larger caliber revolvers, that can be quite dangerous. Unlike with an autoloader where we have significant video footage of safe discharges during simulated disarm, that’s not something we have, to my knowledge, for revolvers. And it’s not something I’d like to see done bare-handed, or at all for that matter.

In a non-shrouded hammer design, coming back with the meat of your hand behind the hammer may cause a failure to fire if enough forward pressure is applied, but that’s incidental. Much like the russian techniques taught for catching the hand between the hammer and frame of a single action hammer-fired handgun like a 1911 or certain CZ and HK designs, these are incidental techniques likely to result in harm to you or lack of effectiveness if attempted. Your focus should be on RCAT. Not on some hokey low-percentage technique you can’t practice in training. Same reason we don’t preach “neck snaps”.

Quick corollary: there are a subset of revolvers with barrels that protrude over 4 inches. I’ve seen them picked off the street, though they’re generally big bore hunting revolvers. Because there is no slide to reciprocate, it’s just a longer lever for you to work with, but the difference in width and profile (round vs square) you’re grabbing on to is highly noticeable. Again, in an adrenalized state, probably not going to matter. If I had my druthers, I’d grab closer to the muzzle on a longer barrel to minimize the chance of my hand getting barbecued if it is discharged during the disarm.

Best,
    -Eli

Good video post. If you are able to dodge the first round and stop the chamber from loading a second your chances of survival or definitely heightened.

skydrive141
    Blocked

Locksmith services

Wow I enjoy you , book marked ! My coluge’s and i take difficulty alongside along with your last point.
    Locksmith Braintree
    Locksmith Carol Stream
    Locksmith Chicago Heights

imilsolulky
    Blocked

Card Recovery

People from more and more electric product such as mobile phones, digital cameras, and computers. SD Card Recovery
    Myriad information, files, and pictures are stored in the SD Respect Card. But someday, if you delete or unfurnished your SD card by means of misconstrue, how to undelete SD Homage card? Do you ruminate over they are gone forever? The surrejoinder is definitely not. As SD Memory Index card advance pro is the most desirable means on this charitable of data/pictures recovering. SD Recall Membership card amelioration pro is easy-to-use Homage card advancement software that can effectively repay deleted or exhausted photos, music, video, and multimedia files from verging on all digital cards after instances like deletion, corruption and formatting, etc. It not no greater than recover SD Recall anniversary card but also MicroSD (TransFlash), SDHC, miniSD greetings card, MMC card MultiMedia behave, CF union card , Packed Flash card, CF Specimen I, Breed II, MicroDrive, Remembrance Guy, Memory Saddle with Pro, Duo, Pro-HG, XC, Micro(M2), SmartMedia, gleam membership card, XD Dead ringer christmas card, Flexible phone memory press card, Cellular phone, digital media, USB flash motivate and digital image. Photo Recovery
    There are so divers Scenario can convince to the lost, such as: Accidental Deletion Events(“Eliminate All” selected in flaw,Selected “Expunge” preferably of “Economize”, Recycle Bin erroneously emptied); Improper Day-to-day business(Mill reset, Powered mistaken implement (camera etc.) during write process, Window-card mistakenly habituated to in varied cameras, SD Be unsecretive slaying while device is powered on); Accidental Formatting or Reformat ( Formatted Media/Device in goof, Initialized goal storage when tribute fated newly connected, Storage device accidentally formatted); Other Recoverable Outline ( Virus infection, Unexpected power distant, Departed photos during transferring photos from storage devices to PC/laptop, Unexpected errors during ignoble batteries and imprecise digital camera turn postponed); You may say how mighty and magical SD In the offing amelioration contraption it is!

persechini

i liked video on gun , it’s very clear!thumbsupthumbsup

kmyoshi

quote Eli:

Honestly, Yoshi, while fun to think about, any distinction will quickly become academic when you perform the disarm under stress. It’s still a right-angle lever you need to transfer from his hand to yours without pointing it at yourself.

Mechanically, the revolver will fail to fire consecutively with sufficient pressure clamping the cylinder in place, as the cylinder rotates to the next chamber following each shot and can’t do so if it’s occluded or “fixed” to the frame by your hand. However, if the revolver fires, you will suffer more damage to your hand than you would with a semiauto because you’re bridging the cylinder gap behind the barrels, where gasses are let out. In larger caliber revolvers, that can be quite dangerous. Unlike with an autoloader where we have significant video footage of safe discharges during simulated disarm, that’s not something we have, to my knowledge, for revolvers. And it’s not something I’d like to see done bare-handed, or at all for that matter.

In a non-shrouded hammer design, coming back with the meat of your hand behind the hammer may cause a failure to fire if enough forward pressure is applied, but that’s incidental. Much like the russian techniques taught for catching the hand between the hammer and frame of a single action hammer-fired handgun like a 1911 or certain CZ and HK designs, these are incidental techniques likely to result in harm to you or lack of effectiveness if attempted. Your focus should be on RCAT. Not on some hokey low-percentage technique you can’t practice in training. Same reason we don’t preach “neck snaps”.

Quick corollary: there are a subset of revolvers with barrels that protrude over 4 inches. I’ve seen them picked off the street, though they’re generally big bore hunting revolvers. Because there is no slide to reciprocate, it’s just a longer lever for you to work with, but the difference in width and profile (round vs square) you’re grabbing on to is highly noticeable. Again, in an adrenalized state, probably not going to matter. If I had my druthers, I’d grab closer to the muzzle on a longer barrel to minimize the chance of my hand getting barbecued if it is discharged during the disarm.

Best,
    -Eli

I’m referring to the cylinder gap which I think is more prominent on larger caliber revolver (magnums?) rather than the smaller, snub nose guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucg5VAff4c

But yes, I agree, less techniques = less brain farts under stress.

five04zog

More of the same… :Deadhorse::Deadhorse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stBfi_iru5M

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: