Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Gun hostage variation as seen on TV

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Saw this in an al-Qeada training video. No, I’m not thinking about joining, it was on CNN. Honest. 🙂

Anyway, an attacker snuck up on a victim from behind, putting him into a type of full Nelson, his arms underneath the victim’s arms and pushing the head down with his left, but he also had a gun in his right hand, pointing it at the victim’s head.

Would our regular gun hostage defense still work from that position? Or would it be harder to get that second hand on the gun, because the defender’s left arm is being pushed up? Seems like one could still grab the gun with the right hand and maybe redirect it, but it might be harder to force it out of the attacker’s hand.

In the video, the victim defended by forcing both of his arms down, thereby pushing the attacker’s arm plus gun down also, so that it was now lower, next to his ribs, then he somehow grabbed it and made a defense that almost looked similar to our gun hostage defense, just from a lower position.

Has anyone else seen that video? Is this a common attack? Any ideas on how to defend?

bradm

I thnk I saw that one. Didn’t it also show a guy doing a series of round kicks and spinning hook kicks on a focus pad? Can’t comment on the gun defense though since I had to stop Krav before I got a lot of gun defense training.

anonymous

Yes, I think that’s the same video. I just thought that was an interesting way to place the gun. I wonder if this is something law enforcement or special op units may do when detaining someone? Since these were terrorists training, they were probably working on defeating officers or soldiers trying to arrest them.

Looks like from that position it would be more difficult to get that second hand on the gun and also to disengage from the attacker, because your arms are entangled with his.

mike-g

I saw that same video a few months ago and remember thinking that looks like some weird variation of gun to the head hostage situation in Krav. As far as LE goes…I have been one for over 12 1/2 years and never seen or been taught to put the gun directly (touching) on any part of a suspects body. Futhermore I have never been taught to be that close to a suspect with my gun out for the purpose of apprehension. There may be situations in which my gun would be out that close to a suspect but it would be in the act of shooting if it was and not putting him in to a full nelson gun to the head hold.

anonymous

I wonder if other law enforcement officers around the world are using this hold, or maybe special forces teams? Of course, could be just some wacky thing the terrorists made up, or maybe THEY are using it when they are taking hostages.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: