Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Gun still in the pocket

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    emil

What if you’re threatened with a gun that is supposedely still in a jacket pocket? On one hand I want to keep it in there, on the other with the standard defense I don’t control the line of fire.

andre

Remember line up punching. This is on the assumption that he is within striking distance.

anonymous

Hmmmm…. interesting question!

I think you might still be able to do the standard defense if you push against the pocket where the gun is hidden and do a strong body defense. You could get in and punch, but the real hard part would be the control and takeaway. You couldn’t really grab the gun with all that fabric around it and how do you safely slide it out of the pocket to try and take it? You could give a couple of strong counters and then just run without taking it, hoping the guy will not shoot after you and if he does that he will miss.

I could imagine two reasons why the attacker would opt to hide the gun in the pocket instead of holding it up in front of you:

1) He may not really have a gun, and so he puts his hand in his pocket, pretending to have a weapon.
    In that case, there would be no danger if you moved in and punch. Of course you wouldn’t know that, but as soon as you push against the hand in the pocket, you might feel that there is no weapon. Even if you can’t feel it, you could just strike and run and you should be able to get away.

2) He may have a gun, but he doesn’t want to attract the attention of other people, who might be standing close by.
    In that case, fighting back would do exactly what he was trying to avoid – attract attention. That might cause him to try and flee, rather than to shoot after you when you strike and then run.

Of course, another option could also be to just run, without trying to grab the gun and counter. You might consider this if you feel that you could not reach or redirect the weapon. It could be risky of course – but as I said before, he either doesn’t really have a gun, then of course he can’t shoot. Or he has one, but he doesn’t want to attract attention and if he shot at you, or ran after you and then shot, people would notice, call the police etc (maybe there even is police or security near-by), so he may just try to get away instead.

I know there was another thread on the old forum where we discussed the possibility of the \”Nike defense\” even against guns. I think if you just ran, potentially in a zigzag pattern it may be hard to shoot and hit you, especially if the guy keeps the gun in the pocket and thus has to fire from that position. So, maybe it’s worth the risk.

Of course, it all depends on the situation. If the guy just wants your money, maybe complying would be safest. But if he orders you to move away from a more crowded area to a secluded one, or tells you to get into a vehicle with him, then it’s probably best to take your chance at the original location, where you are first confronted by him.

albatexas

If the gun is in his pant pocketÖÖÖÖbe very careful! 😯

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: