Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Guy Metzger, retired UFC fighter, saves woman but pays a price

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    resqr1
    mara-jade

Re: Guy Metzger, retired UFC fighter, saves woman but pays a price

OMG..dang:OhMy::OhMy:

don

Thanks resqr – article and picture passed along…

gwalsh-d92

“I didn’t see the knife.”

How many times do we hear that one?

resqr1

I am reminded of the line from Itay Gil in the Krav episode of Human Weapon…”You’re a great cage fighter, but you don’t know **** about self defense.

Props to Metzger for stepping in, though.

Hind sight being 20/20 he never should have disengaged in the first place. Once a treat, always a threat until the police arrive.

don

I’ve seen too many times where people didn’t finish off a bad guy when they had the opportunity – Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, etc… :p

resqr1

Techniques and tactics are nice, but violence rules the day.

catapult

quote Don:

I’ve seen too many times where people didn’t finish off a bad guy when they had the opportunity – Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, etc… :p

Just curious, what should he/we/I do? The guy is unconscious. Hit him again to make sure he stays that way? Try to tie him up somehow (most of us don’t carry cuffs)? Stand over him to see if he wakes up and clock him again? Seems like civilians are forced to walk the fine line between self defense and punishment.

don

quote catapult:

Just curious, what should he/we/I do? The guy is unconscious. Hit him again to make sure he stays that way? Try to tie him up somehow (most of us don’t carry cuffs)? Stand over him to see if he wakes up and clock him again? Seems like civilians are forced to walk the fine line between self defense and punishment.

There really is no “right” or “you should always do this” answer. The totality of the circumstances of every situation is going to be different.

If you strike an unconscious person, you run the risk of being labeled as a “primary aggressor” (even if you didn’t start the altercation and did everything you could to avoid it) and/or being charged with assault with a deadly weapon or aggravated assault or something else along those lines.

IF the situation is such that you are able to get the upper hand but can not or choose not to leave the area, it does bring up some interesting points/concerns.

How could you potentially secure the person if/when he/she wants to continue to fight (what items are readily available in the vicinity or what might you have with you that could be used as an improvised restraint device).

How quickly can someone regain consciousness and how will that person behave once he/she wakes up?

What techniques could be used to maintain physical control over a combative or temporarily disadvantaged combative suspect/subject? What could you do by yourself? What could you do with one or more helpers?

IMO, nothing wrong with “standing over a guy and hitting him if/when he wakes up” BUT, could you articulate Why good enough so that people who weren’t there would nod their heads and say, “yeah, that sounds reasonable enough to me”?

In an ideal world, there should never be “punishment”. Objectives of LE use of force are to stop a threat, gain safe control of a suspect(s) and/or situation, and maintain safe control. If/when you explain civilian self-defense action, it should be pretty similar.

Once a threat has been neutralized, it is going to be hard to justify a “need” to continue an attack or self-defense response. Now, OTOH, if the threat is still there, it is much easier to explain continued actions on your part. In a “situation” (as exemplified by the one in the OP), it is entirely possible for a threat to go away and come back or go away and come back worse and it’s also entirely possible for a new threat(s) to appear.

I teach that, until proven otherwise, every subject/suspect we (LE) deal with has fighting skills, is armed with one or more deadly weapons, and has friends ready to jump in an attack you while you are dealing with the primary problem.

As an LEO responding to a situation like this, I would have no problem whatsoever with the “good guy(s)” searching a “bad guy” and removing any/all weapons (in addition to using reasonable force and restraint tactics).

Think about the times since 9-11 when people have taken defensive actions on planes mid-flight…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: