Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Hating on other styles?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    seraphs-coal

As I began training in Krav I noticed that its common on various internet forums for people to not only get incredibly defensive of the style they study, but to go one further and hate on any style other than their own.

I guess I wanted to ask what the reasoning is behind that? – I would say that its also probable that there are Krav people that do it also, so I am not trying to suggest anyone is any better than anyone else.

What is the problem in acknowledging the good that exists on other martial art systems?

Correct me if I am wrong by all means, yet my observation is that Aikido, Wing Tsun and Taekwondo seem to cop it the worst. Then other styles including Krav tend to follow.

The thing is, just of those three styles above, its easy to see the good parts of them and the fact that Krav uses elements of all of them in our own system and I would think its likely that so do other systems as well?

Thoughts?

kmky

Re: Hating on other styles?

imho

When someone invest time and money in something they don’t want to admit that what they are investing in isn’t the absolute best. It’s human nature. Personally I’ve seen it most frequently in people who are new to whatever art/style they chosen to study and among instructors who are a bit insecure in their knowledge.

It doesn’t help that there are Taekwondo schools that act as glorified babysitters or Krav programs that claim after you study there you will be the an 80s action star or Krav programs that are really only glorified kick boxing classes.

lions2011

This board attracts many idiots but so does sherdog as well. The best system is not a single one. The best is doing a couple in combination.
    Such as Krav, MT and bJJ. or Judo/Boxing or Wrestling. Most of us do not have time to do more than 2 through.

Tons of fanatics who only do one system and think the rest are bad. They tend to be very small minded people. Plenty of Krav people have this thinking based on the posts on the board. Not all do of course.

In my krav class, I See many people constantly performnig terrible elbows, knees and round/push kicks because they have not done MT. The instructors do not understand the details of the moves at all.

lions2011

EVen just Judo alone would be devasting based on the nasty throws. Imagine being tossed on concrete. Broken bones everywhere. Wrestling alone would be very effective due to the takedowns. boxng would be the easiest to learn and is very effective due to the hard spariing.
    Krav lacks sparing and resistance which is a big problem. However, it has tons of cool moves like hammer fists and palmstrikes and groin kicks and head butts.

kmyoshi

Adding to what KMKY said regarding human nature… like how people hate on other people because of the brand clothes they wear, the car they drive, the phone they have…

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote lions2011:

Krav lacks sparing and resistance which is a big problem.

It does?

Not sure where you get that idea but I’m pretty sure every school owner and senior instructor in the forums would disagree with that statement.

Not to mention my students who post here, in fact I wont speak for them, Metta, KMy – care to chime in with your opinion?

Have you experienced any sparring or pressure/resistance in your KM classes?

kmyoshi

I usually ignore his post because I don’t have any thing nice to say so I keep my mouth shut 🙂

kmyoshi

I usually ignore his post because I don’t have any thing nice to say so I keep my mouth shut :D:

But I’ll bite though. It appears that every style has more cons than pros (according to lions):
    With BJJ, 80% of it is no good or a complete waste of time.
    MT is the best but the school he attends is no good so he’s going to quit MT.
    Krav has terrible ground game but BJJ sucks too so :confused:
    Krav lacks sparring or resistance

With all of these negatives, what should you train in than?

What it seems like IMHO is that he needs to shop around and find the right school that fits his needs (in all arts) and not make huge sweeping assumptions regarding an art based on just his experience. With that said, I think he hates everything.

On an average training class I have
    Hard warm ups to tire you out
    Learning the technique, why are you doing this technique compared to another technique?
    Pressure test (Drills, drills, drills)
    We don’t spar all the time in Krav class but I take Fight classes to supplement.

This happens every time I train, not “once in a blue moon.”

quote CJs Dad:

It does?

Not sure where you get that idea but I’m pretty sure every school owner and senior instructor in the forums would disagree with that statement.

Not to mention my students who post here, in fact I wont speak for them, Metta, KMy – care to chime in with your opinion?

Have you experienced any sparring or pressure/resistance in your KM classes?

Come on. This is silly. To quote the people’s champ Daniel Bryan, “Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!”

From personal experience…

Sparring? Yes. I started sparring in Level 2 KM classes and Intro to Fight, and have continued sparring in Level 3/4/5 KM classes and Fight 1. Some has been slower and softer (Level 2). Some was baby steps very rudimentary boxing/Thai boxing skills (Intro to Fight). Some is more grappling/MMA flavored/ground oriented (Levels 2-4 with Christian). Some is more going bananas close quarters 30 second 1 on 1 street rounds (Levels 2-4 with Mike B). Some is more deliberate I go you go target acquisition sparring skills (Fight 1 with Sean). Some is more insane full contact multiple attacker street drills like Shark Tank and Dogpile and Battle Royal (Fight 1 with Sean). In my green belt test with Mike B we finished an exhausting 7 hours with about 45 mins of sparring. 15 mins of rolling/ground sparring (50-60%). 15 mins of 1 on 1 standup (50-60%). 15 mins of 2 on 1 standup (60-75%). There was definitely some puking and clock cleaning involved. After the test I practically crawled into the Astro Diner on Glendale (a great old school LAPD hangout) looking like raw hamburger meat.

Obviously pressure/resistance in all of the above, as well as Level 1 classes when doing the basic self-defense stuff (especially A/B wandering the room drills), doing 1 on 4 combative combo drills while being pushed and hit with pads, working inside defenses and 360’s 1 on 1 where I’ve gotten accidentally punched in the face (once with a hand with a ring on it, causing a very bloody nose) more than I care to remember. Hell, punching each other’s faces and torsos as a warmup in Christian’s Level 1-3 classes.

This isn’t to say Sherman Oaks or NTC is awesome or an outlier or annoyingly macho and tough and badass. We’re not. (If you saw us up in Sherman Oaks, you’d probably think we were nerds, and wouldn’t be entirely wrong.) Or that we’re always sanctimoniously training as hard or as specifically as we’re capable of or supposed to be. Not that at all, we’re glaringly human. It’s more that this is how KM is meant to be trained and what the standard of intensity and intention (bad intentions) and specificity should be. If that’s not the case, that’s a problem. I’ve heard legends of Kelly Campbell destroying men’s cups with front kicks and Darren making Sean “need a minute” while doing demos on him.

Hope that helps.

don

quote KMyoshi:

Adding to what KMKY said regarding human nature… like how people hate on other people because of the brand clothes they wear, the car they drive, the phone they have…

I hate on you because you’re young and slim… :chair:

rofl2

don

quote KMyoshi:

With that said, I think he hates everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seN7AKSwMFU

;):

lions2011

No you have me all wrong!!! I love Krav Maga and kind of like MT.

I only mentioned some of the weakness to each system. Overall, you can only benefit from doing any martial arts.

Sorry if I am a real negative nilly but it is part of my DNA I guess.

I have enjoyed my time doing Krav and learned many new things that I would never thought to use.

KRav is an excellent system but it goes best with a few other.

Ok hope to clear that out.

Best thing about KRav is they do alot of real life stuff that you do not get in other systems.

pinkgloves

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

This isn’t to say Sherman Oaks or NTC is awesome or an outlier or annoyingly macho and tough and badass

Ok, I’ll say it. Sherman Oaks and NTC are awesome and pretty badass.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote PinkGloves:

Ok, I’ll say it. Sherman Oaks and NTC are awesome and pretty badass.

Hey I represent that remark! :box2:

kmyoshi

quote Don:

I hate on you because you’re young and slim… :chair:

rofl2

:soapbox:

lol!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: