Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    gnl101

Finally got my heavy bag hung (from the ceiling) but ran into a problem. How do you get it to stop swinging all over the place as you punch and kick it? I ended up chasing it around the garage.

Thanks

clfmak

The most reliable but expensive option is to get a heavier bag. You might be able to take the bag and hang it higher off the ground- this can help. You might also look into getting one of these springs:
    http://store.titleboxing.com/hbs.html

sexybaldman

A double ended heavy bag can prevent swining too. I have one, and I put a bungie cord underneath and mount that to the floor. Or, you can use the swining to your advantage and work around the swinging..

If you are using your heavy bag for kicking and punching… etc… why not invest in a larger bag… one that goes all the way to the floor??? or even purchase \”BOB\”… but if all that is out of the questions…. I’d say… while the bag is moving all around… you can incorperate that into your traing… weave in and out… short jab… side kick… duck .. then uppercut…

klem

If you’ve already invested in a heavy bag and don’t want to turn around and buy a double end heavy bag, I would suggest buying a heavy bag spring. Won’t completely stop the excessive swinging but will absorb some of the movement. Check out Title Boxing or Everlast web sites.

Also focus on technique. If the bag gets really swinging you may be pushing the bag more than punching/kicking. The bag should pop and almost jump when you strike it vs high swinging sided to side.

Using attacks from different sides of the bag, such as roundhouse kicks after a front kick or a hook punch after a straight punch will keep the momentum from building up as the bag will not only swing in two directions.

Move around the bag as well so you are in front of it as it swings down. This will add to the resistance giving you more power, work on your mobility and footwork, and break the habit people get from hitting heavy bags… standing still in front of your opponent.

gnl101

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It’s a 100 lb bag and brand new so getting a new one it’s in the cards, for now. I’d like a double ended bag…maybe one day.

I dont mind some movement but it can get swinging to a point where I have to use a hand to stop it. I’ll check out the springs. Seems like it will be the best short term option.

thanks again

sexybaldman

Here is a thought and I have seen this. If you can hang the bag at the right height, where the bottom touches the ground try to find yourself a truck trie and place the bottom of the bag in the tire. It should prevent it from moving that much and shouldn’t really cost much except the price of a use tire and you might even be able to get that for free…

clfmak

\”I dont mind some movement but it can get swinging to a point where I have to use a hand to stop it\”

Why not a thrusting kick, offline roundhouse shin, knee strike, elbow spike, palm strike, etc?

bradm

I have seen heavy weights tied to the bottom of the bag with the weights resting on the floor. That is if your bag has a strap accross the bottom of it. This will stop a lot of the swinging, but not all.

Good luck.

lumpy

Heavy Bag

As usual, I over engineered my soluton. I have a 200lb Title, and it still moved around allot. I found a shallow round bottom plastic flower pot at the store. It holds about one 50lb bag of mixed cement powder. I mixed up the cement, and secured a bent 10 inch \”I\” bolt to fasten to. Once cured, I turned the contraption over and secured the bottom of the bag with a chain; however, I like what someone wrote earlier about using a bungie. It still moves around, but I rarely have to stop it with my hands. It has dodged out of the way resulting in over extended knee joints a few times.

xkirian

You should not have to do any thing……\”Hit\” dont \”push\”.

Kirian

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”XKirian\:

You should not have to do any thing……\”Hit\” dont \”push\”.

Kirian

I disagree..I have a solid hit, and I don’t push and I get the bag rocking and rolling…:)

tav

You will love this. I bought 4 bungee cords and attached them to the 4 rings on the top of the bag. Then I duct taped the bungees down the sides of the bag leaving about 4-6 inches of the cords hanging below the bag. I then bought two wide L-shaped brackets, drilled a holes about midway up and and towards the end of one leg— then bolted them together to form a \”T\” and placed 2- 45lb olympic weights over the newly created \”upside-down-T\” bracket. Then I just hook the bungees to the top hole. works great looks like crap.

xkirian

Re:

quote \”SexyBaldMan\:

I disagree..I have a solid hit, and I don’t push and I get the bag rocking and rolling…:)

SBM, we can agree to disagree, but it’s not about how \”hard\” you can hit it’s about \”how\” you hit a heavy bag. A 100 pound bag is more then enough weight to be useable without tying it down.

Case in point, if Mike Tyson, Bas Rutten and Chuck Liddel (three cats that can hit pretty hard if you ask me ;)) can use 100 pound bags effectively with out a tie down, then you probably can.

IMHO of course,
    Kirian

kravmdjeff

Well, I wouldn’t recommend a big swinging heavy bag for a beginner, because the kind of movement and range assessment that it takes to not hyperextend or sprain your wrist, etc. is not really something I would expect a beginner to be able to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: