Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Hello everyone / Darren Levines Gastonia Seminar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    pointvista

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been reading here for some time now and thought it’s time to say hello to everyone. 🙂

I also just signed up Darren Levines’ seminar in Gastonia, so hopefully I will meet some of you guys there.

I’ve taken a few martial arts styles in the past (TKD, Wing Chun), and I have to say I enjoy KM the most — certainly the most practical and gives me the most workout. I just started my Level 2 class two weeks ago and can’t wait to learn more KM techniques!

JT

mara-jade

Re: Hello everyone / Darren Levines Gastonia Seminar

Hi JT!

Nice to see more new people – feel free to ask any questions and enjoy your training thumbsup

bradm

pointvista,
    What school do you train at in Atlanta? I used to train at Dreoge’s in Marietta/Powder Springs.

pointvista

quote BradM:

pointvista,
    What school do you train at in Atlanta? I used to train at Dreoge’s in Marietta/Powder Springs.

Brad —

I’ve been going to Atlanta Krav Maga for about a year now. The school is also about a year old. Dreoge’s was the first KM school to be establish in GA, no?

Overall I am pretty pleased with the staff and curriculum. The course is structured and we just had our Level 2 test few weeks ago (got a KM shirt that says “Level 2” on the sleeve; and waiting for the certificate from KMWW).

Now that the Level 2 students all got sparring gears (head gear, shin guards, 16 oz gloves, etc), I am eager to get more in-depth training in that department — particularly reaction time, hand-eye coordination, and basically getting a feel on what it’s like when someone is throwing punches at you.

I read here that not all schools under KMWW are certified to teach at the same level (some at level 2, some to level 5). I have no idea what level my school is certified to teach, but as long as they keep challenging the students and brining new techniques / insights, I think it’s a good program to train for the long run. So hopefully KMWW can uphold its rigorous certification & continuing education process as they go thorugh this rapid phase of growth.

What are your thoughts as you progress through the different levels?

pointvista

quote BradM:

pointvista,

Brad —

I’ve been going to Atlanta Krav Maga for about a year now. The school is also about a year old. Dreoge’s was the first KM school to be establish in GA, no?

Overall I am pretty pleased with the staff and curriculum. The course is structured and we just had our Level 2 test few weeks ago (got a KM shirt that says “Level 2” on the sleeve; and waiting for the certificate from KMWW).

Now that the Level 2 students all got sparring gears (head gear, shin guards, 16 oz gloves, etc), I am eager to get more in-depth training in that department — particularly reaction time, hand-eye coordination, and basically getting a feel on what it’s like when someone is throwing punches at you.

I read here that not all schools under KMWW are certified to teach at the same level (some at level 2, some to level 5). I have no idea what level my school is certified to teach, but as long as they keep challenging the students and brining new techniques / insights, I think it’s a good program to train for the long run. So hopefully KMWW can uphold its rigorous certification & continuing education process as they go thorugh this rapid phase of growth.

What are your thoughts as you progress through the different levels?

bradm

pointvista,

Yes, I believe Droege’s was the first to bring Krav into Ga. However, I believe one of the sister schools in Kennesaw strated a Krav program about the same time. That school is operated by Mr. Archmont (sp). I attended a Bas Ruten seminar there a few years ago.

Thoughts progressing through levels? Hmmm. I looked forward to progressing to a higher level because of the new material to be learned. As a level-2 and level-3 student, I always went to as many level-1 classes as I could simply for the review and the workouts. I passed my level-3 at Dreoge’s just prior to my moving to Orlando. I trained at Krav at a local school in Orlando for a while, but found the the training to be not good. I eventually stopped training in Krav Maga and sought out another system.

Glad to hear the GA schools are still providing quality Krav training. Good luck in your training. Stick with it.

elvisbuddha

Pointvista,

Do you think I need to learn striking techniques in Muay Thai or another discipline before starting Krav Maga? Since the class seems to focus on defensive techniques, I want to make sure my punching and kicking are effective.

Also, any truth to the rumor that Atlanta KM will be moving to a bigger location? I checked out the school a while back and thought the student-to-teacher ratio was too high and the class seemed cramped.

Thanks,
    Pedro

pointvista

quote elvisbuddha:

Pointvista,

Do you think I need to learn striking techniques in Muay Thai or another discipline before starting Krav Maga? Since the class seems to focus on defensive techniques, I want to make sure my punching and kicking are effective.

Also, any truth to the rumor that Atlanta KM will be moving to a bigger location? I checked out the school a while back and thought the student-to-teacher ratio was too high and the class seemed cramped.

Thanks,
    Pedro

Hi Pedro

Sorry for the late reply.

There’s plenty of striking in KM. Elbows, punches, kicks are all part of the class. KM does focus on defense more — but the training is such that once you are put in the position to defend yourself, you will be mentally and physically ready to knock out / disable your attacker(s) in the shortest amount of time so that you can get away. You go on the offense once you felt you had to defend yourself.

I thik KM in general had gained much popularity in the recent year. Atlanta Krav Maga has definately grown in size, and at times the class does seem a bit crammed. However I think the quality of the teaching had reamined at its high standards. I’ve also heard they are moving to a bigger location, but I am not sure when.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: