Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Hello from San Francisco

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    byroniam

Hey all, new here (obviously.) Registered to say hi to you guys and ask a couple questions.

First off, what level of difficulty should I expect from a beginners’ class at the age of 14?
    Also, due to my living situation I’ll only be able to take classes twice every other weekend. Will that be a major problem, or can I work around that by doing exercises away from the training facility?

Any other advice/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

sch-thurston

Re: Hello from San Francisco

Welcome! I train at one of the SF places so I can tell you that you should expect to do anything that anyone of your size/weight/strength can do, nothing more and nothing less. Everyone is encouraged to flirt with their own limits and to try to improve. It’s all a personal battle as far as that aspect goes. Regarding the level of difficulty for techniques, where I train if you are in an adult class (which I assume you are) then there’s one syllabus for all; very egalitarian. And you’ll do just fine. You will have faves and not-so-faves, but you’ll learn and be capable of performing all techniques unless you have a physical restriction that prevents it. (Kicks to head height are ancient history for me, for example. All they would bring is a swift visit to the hospital for hernia surgery!)

As for frequency, the more you can do the better you’ll get , obviously. Rather than dwell on what you might have done with more frequent classes, aim to get as much as you can out of those you are able to attend. There are many ways to practice away from class, such as lightly practicing with a parent once or twice a week for a few minutes, to hanging a heavy bag in the garage if you have the space.

Here’s the bottom line though: go with the flow. Get in there and go for it 🙂

byroniam

Thanks Thurston. I’ll definitely try to get the most out of the few classes I can take.

Any chance you’ve heard of/have an opinion of KMSF?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi Byroniam

Welcome to the forums. I’ve never been to KMSF but I’ve had the privilege to train with one of their head instructors Christian Ventrano many many times.

Hes a great guy/instructor.

Good luck with your training, and enjoy the forums~

sch-thurston

What CJ’s Dad said. I’ve no first-hand knowledge of KMSF, I train at the other SF school. Why? First place I went and I’ve had no reason to leave, nothing more complicated than that.

Enjoy! There are doubtless many old ‘uns (like me) jealously watching you get your early start in krav maga.

byroniam

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really enjoyed my first couple of classes at Krav. I could definitely keep up with the pace, even if it was a bit tough when someone much older and bigger was paired up with me. I would definitely reccomend KMSF to anyone in the San Francisco area.

sch-thurston

Well done! And if you’re ever in a position to choose, training with someone older and bigger will usually be better for you! You may have a speed and agility edge, but more importantly it will slowly change your preconceptions and natural apprehension when your opponent is different to you. (90% of krav maga is mental. The other half is all in your head 😉

sean-lawson

Hi Im from L.A welcome 🙂

sean-lawson

Ey!! Helloo and welcome, you will enjoy SF outdoor classes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: