Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hey SENSEI ((!!!????)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    kravmdjeff

Yeah, I also call my instructor \”Your Excellency\”.

Here’s a picture of him after a recent seminar we had at our school:

http://faq.macedonia.org/images/alex1.jpg

lor

Now we’re talking!

*sigh* I love Alexander. I got an Alexander bust for Christmas. I also got a Macedonian coin for my birthday. 😀

Sorry. Back to the topic.

kravmdjeff

You may love him, but are you willing to share him with Hepheastion?

The guy was nothing if not ballsy

lor

But of course.

He is by far my favorite historical giant. If only he hadn’t burned out so quickly.

g-v

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

You may love him, but are you willing to share him with Hepheastion?

The guy was nothing if not ballsy

Alexander and Hephaestion? Who’s ballsies are we talking about? Rumor has it, those two had their hands full.

😆

kravmdjeff

Their hands were larger than the average hands…

Two Greek words combined to make one English word:

paidos- (meaning \”child\” or \”slave\”)

and philos- (meaning \”love\” or \”affection\”)

put it together, and you have pedophilia. The movie, \”Alexander\” didn’t really show that Hepheastion was way younger than Alexander…and from our perspective today, there was no difference between consentual and non-consentual sex in that situation.

Messed up folks, the Greeks were.

lor

All this time I thought Alexander was the younger of the two.

Any thoughts on the movie? As a general fan of Alexander, I was thrilled Oliver Stone made the attempt. Initially I wasn’t happy with his choice of Colin Farrell (sp?), but I ended up liking him in the movie.

Trying to stuff Alexander into a 3 hour time frame couldn’t have been easy.

kravmdjeff

It was horrible…I’ll give one or two particular things that bothered me…

When Alexander sieged Susa (the capital of the Persian Empire at the time), there was a huge palace that was basically like the highest-class brothel of the whole ancient world. Alexander set all the harem-girls free and then burned the thing to the ground. It was probably one of the most amazing sites.

The movie didn’t even reference it.

When Alexander came through Egypt, he founded the city of Alexandria, which would be a cultural, intellectual, and religious center of North Africa for the next 1500 years.

Movie didn’t even reference it.

When Alexander came through Israel, the Jews immediately paid homage to him (they had previously been under relatively harsh rule of the Medo-Persians, Alexander’s main enemy) because they thought he would steamroll them, like the Persians did and the Babylonians before them and the Assyrians before them. Instead, because of Alexander’s uniquely pluralistic view (he wanted the whole world to be united under him) he worshipped at the temple in the way appropriate for the Gentiles, and he was pretty much the only Greco-Roman ruler to honor the Hebrew God, arguably until Constantine (if you count the Christian God and the Jewish God to be the same one).

Movie didn’t reference it.

So, yeah. I have a beef with the movie. The most exciting parts of his story were left out because the average moviegoer may not appreciate them.

lor

Well, I liked the movie, but that’s because I’ve been pretty desperate to see him on the big screen.

I agree with you about the condensed version, but like you said, Stone had to go with what might appeal to the general public. And what accomplishments were highlighted in the movie were overshadowed by the whole \”Alexander was gay\” controversy. 🙄

The man deserves a mini series at least. Not that anyone will touch the idea now.

I loved the scene at Gaugamela. Bought the DVD just for that.

kravmdjeff

Gaugamela’s the $hit. Actually, the battle scenes in general were relatively accurate.

Oh, another pet peeve. Before Alexander was emperor, under Philip of Macedon (his dad’s) reign, the Macedonians gained control of the Greek mainland by a battle against the Thebans (which, for a brief time, enjoyed control over and against Athens and Sparta, and these two other city-states had joined them against the Macedonians). Alexander’s Companion Cavalry was what won the whole battle, having to cause the main infantry to feign retreat so he could get around the flank that the Sacred Band of Thebes (one of the elite fighting units of the ancient world) had caused.

The Sacred Band had almost singlehandedly conquered all the rest of the city-states in Greece at the time, and had multiple times defended Greece from attacks from the Persian empire, the largest empire in the world at the time. They were no joke.

Alexander’s age at the time of the victory? 19.

Movie didn’t show it.

kravmdjeff

More about the connection between military strategy and homosexuality in the ancient world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes

lor

\”That claim was substantiated upon the excavation of their communal grave at Chaeronea, in which two hundred and fifty four skeletons were found, arranged in seven rows.\”

😯 I didn’t know they did this! That must have been something to see.

I’d love to go overseas one day and visit different places. I imagine you’ve seen, \”In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great\” with Michael Wood. I would have loved to have accompanied him on that trip.

I was lucky enough to see the Colosseum and Pompeii when I was 18 (was on Mt Vesuvius too), but I was too young to fully appreciate it. Now I’d pay a pretty penny to be able to see Cyrus’ tomb, where the battle of Thermopylae took place, the Oracle of Siwa, the battlefield of Gaugamela, etc. (I’m all over the place. It would have to be a looong trip. 😆 ).

Ultimately, I hope they find Alexander’s tomb. THAT would get my butt on a plane.

jarhead

Evidence of Goliath

Hey everyone, I thought since this thread had gone so far away from the original post that I would just help it along a bit.

I read this report about 2 months ago and thought that KravMDJeff might like it. Although I read it in another Archeology periodical this is the link to CBS. Thought it might be of interest although it doesn’t solidify the existance of Goliath it is interesting to note that there was a Philistine family with that name living in the area reported by the bible.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/11/ap/world/mainD8DPVBH84.shtml

Have a great day.

ajdraco

Hey, has anyone in here seen this one?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44950

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

…By the way, recent archaeological evidence suggests that it was actually a front kick to a vertical target, followed by a #4 punch combo, ending with two knees from a control position that gave David the advantage against Goliath. He subsequently did a stabbing knife defense against Goliath’s 7-foot long sword, taking it from him and cutting his head off, much to the chagrin of the Philistines.
    This supports the long-standing minority opinion held by east-German theologian Hans Luder that Goliath’s surname, \”Gath\” is not, as most previously held, his town of birth, but rather is the ancient Assyrian name for \”One who has succumbed to the power of the front kick to a vertical target\”

Just saw this for the first time … Absolutely priceless! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: