Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Hey y’all- From Mississippi! Is KM Legit?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I know it’s an odd question to ask on a KM forum, but is Krav Maga legit? I’ve studied American Kenpo for 8 years now, and am thinking of studying Krav Maga. After reviewing several websites and forums, it seems that people are lumping Krav Maga into a “McDojo” category. I don’t want that to be the case at all. I’m really hoping that someone here can lend some weight, one way or the other, as to the “legitimacy” of Krav Maga. I’m aware of the fact that the Israeli Special Forces are quite successful with this system. However, a large majority of forum posts claim that Americans receive a watered down version of the system. Again, I do not wish for this to be true. I believe that I have discovered a legitimate school not far from my home. But the bottom line up front is that I want to know that this is a quality system that is worth my time, effort, and money. Your candid comments are most welcome! Thanks y’all!!

Re: Hey y’all- From Mississippi! Is KM Legit?

Going to respond to 3 different things:
    1. Is it legit?
    2. Watered down system?
    3. McDojo

1. I think a better set of questions is: does it fit your need, is it available when you are, and is it affordable. Needs can be a complex thing; I don’t know what yours are. Are they exercise related, boredom related (need to do something fun), self-defense related? While I won’t debate the merits of those who post, realize that some of them have years invested in whatever system(s) they train in and may be a little biased and trying to validate their own time spent. The reality is that any time spent in a hard martial art or system is time well spent. Moving to the second.
    2. Is this watered down? Anything not from the original developer is watered down. This will blend with point 3, McDojo a little bit, because some people slip through the cracks and run undetected. People will go to what they know, and if you go to a school that teaches Tae Kwon Do and Krav, you may end up with more TKD emphasis on some of the things you do. Identify training facilities, observe the training; only you can determine if what they’re doing is “real” enough for you to accept as training.
    3. McDojo. It has been said, that people slip through the cracks and remain undetected. Verify the credentials and credentialing organization of the instructors at your facility, to the best of your ability. I took Krav at an ATA Kick; I had the KMWW books and had several years TKD, a year of BJJ and Muay Thai, and 8 years of Marine Corps Martial Arts experience. The problem was that only one person in the entire cluster of 3 or 4 schools was actually a KMWW certified instructor and our classes started turning into sparring with TKD students so that they would be better prepared for some blended martial arts tournament (think mma with pillow-like force applied).

My personal experience is that Krav is worth your time; as with anything, if you want to increase your skill in something you need to do it. You won’t be a better striker by taking BJJ, you won’t be a better grappler by taking Muay Thai. Krav exposes you to all and prepares you for an opponent that you are more likely to encounter. It won’t prepare you to take on a BJJ black belt or Muay Thai Lumpinee Stadium champion. So judge your needs, observe the training options for tomfoolery, and move forward.

Thank you for your input “Tactical Timmy”, and I appreciate your thoughts! However, for me the 3 initial questions that prompted my post were, for me, more appropriate. I, too, have over a decade of martial arts experience. Having said that I think that I’m quite adept at determining the 3 points you addressed at the beginning of your reply. By no means am I even attempting to discredit the legitimacy, practicality, or employability of Krav. As a true martial artist I’m ALWAYS seeking to improve upon my knowledge base, and to make myself better than I am. I guess I’ve never considered that some people may be so unsure about their proficiency that they feel the need to marginalize another’s art. I must disagree with you regarding the “watered down” comment. Just because Ed Parker is no longer alive to teach Kenpo doesn’t mean that existing schools are teaching watered down versions of the art. In fact, it’s quite the opposite! Kenpo, as an example, has evolved in many ways. Now there are different systems within Kenpo that make it faster and more powerful. Perhaps if one attended a TKD/Krav school then they should expect watered down versions of Krav. I did actually find a school like that closer to my home but dismissed it immediately. I got the feeling that someone studied a Krav Maga book and incorporated Krav into their TKD school.Thanks again for your thoughts. Have an OUTSTANDING day! Are you still with FAST?

Never was with FAST, got stationed up here at a schoolhouse on Little Creek. I enjoyed Krav and found it relevant for my needs, and it lined up pretty well with the spirit of what I had learned in MCMAP, and the technical skill I got from MT and BJJ wasn’t contrary to what I was learning. Loads of transferability.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: