Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics hey, you with the weights

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    g-v

So, no one chats much anymore about fun workouts.

g-v

I’m not much into weights myself…definitely no ‘proper form’, isolated movement lifting. Really, I only use a barbell for bent over dead lifts and a 30 lb dumbell for a compound bend-over row/armcurl/shoulder press thing I do that integrates various muscle groups and forces them to work together.

I usually do a 1-hour circuit of pounding the heavy bag going into jumping squats, into laydowns, into deadlifts, into those dumbell presses I mentioned, back to heavy bag, stir, repeat. I do all that with minimum breaks…just enough to catch my breath. Sometimes I’ll cap that off with a bas tape, and always core conditioning at the end.

Something else I sometimes do is one workout per song. I’ll pound the bag for the length of a song on the mp3 player, then move on to something else for another song, so on and so on.

I get bored with stuff so tend to do different workouts all the time.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

This is a Garddawg thread if I’ve ever seen one.

I know ZERO about free weights

gwalsh-d92

Kettlebells! Kettlebells! Kettlebells!

jjbklb

While on vacation two months ago,I used the hotel exercise rooms universal-type gym with weights on pullys.

One exercise on their chart caught my eye.It was a ‘punch’ exercise.

Attaching a grip-handle at a shoulder-height pully,you’d stand alongside the seat in fighting stance & basically do cross punches .Then go to the other side of the seat,switch stance,& do cross punches with the other hand.It was good for the arms AND the core muscles.

I’ve added it to my twice weekly weight regimen.

nixxon

Isolation exercises are bogus for explosive athletes….. if your a glutton for pain I reccomend going to [/url]http://www.crossfit.com [url] and following the workout of the day if your in above average shape. You can always scale it to your fitness level.

If your an absolute monster go to http://www.gymjones.com and look at thier training schedule. They are the guys who trained everyone for that movie 300.

Best part of this type of training is it stresses cardio, explosive power and dynamic movement. Bodybuilding type stuff tends to make you muscle bound and slow….. If you don’t like crossfit don’t bother with isolation exercises. Compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, bent-over-rows, pullups, explosive pushups (clappers) and kettlebells are all you would probably need.

unstpabl1

Re: hey, you with the weights

[quote:c3d0bceb1a=\”G.V.\”]So, no one chats much anymore about fun workouts.[/quote:c3d0bceb1a]

This is what i love about you. you try to start a conversation, no one replies so you have it with yourself 😆 but you got them responding. 😆

Gardawgs forum has some great info. Google Brandx martial arts in Romona. He’s a Krav and Xfit affiliate. Also Ross Training is an excellent site

]mike

g-v

Re: hey, you with the weights

quote \”unstpabl1\:

This is what i love about you. you try to start a conversation, no one replies so you have it with yourself ]mike

Haha, you caught that, huh? 😆

Nixxon, I totally agree about isolation vs. ballistic exercises. I think some weight training is beneficial, I steer mine toward functional strength.

g-v

Re:

quote \”jjbklb\:

While on vacation two months ago,I used the hotel exercise rooms universal-type gym with weights on pullys.

One exercise on their chart caught my eye.It was a ‘punch’ exercise.

Attaching a grip-handle at a shoulder-height pully,you’d stand alongside the seat in fighting stance & basically do cross punches .Then go to the other side of the seat,switch stance,& do cross punches with the other hand.It was good for the arms AND the core muscles.

I’ve added it to my twice weekly weight regimen.

You know, if you’ve got a punching bag, you’re better off doing Bas’s all around workout cd. More effective for what you’re aiming for, but with conditioning thrown in.

Oh yeah, kettlebells. My km instructor loves them things. I saw kettlebells all over when I was a kid in ukraine. But I gotta tell you, they’re not all that different from dumbells. I mean, other than the popeye forarms, everything else develops the same whether you’re using a dumbell or a kettlebell.

But if you wanna try something different, try using one of these: http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/331947/2/istockphoto_331947_silver_dumbell.jpg

..but instead of gripping the middle, hold it by the end with your fingers curled around the thing from the outside. Do some shoulder rotations forward, backward, then bend over and do the same thing, then get back up and do some shoulder presses, then some arm curls with palms up and palms down, stir, repeat…just all sorts of rang of motion movements. Your arms will feel nice after a while. 😆

adversity04

I get punished by Garddawg’s scaled WoDs 🙁

wyatt9696

Re:

quote \”gwalsh\:

Kettlebells! Kettlebells! Kettlebells!

i’ve been contemplating adding some kettlebell training to my conditioning program. any thoughts as to where to start? i know very little about kettlebell training, but have heard it’s an awesome workout. are there any worthwhile dvd’s. i know the bare bones of what they do and how they are used, but not much else. any help would be appreciated.

hawk1278

Hi,
    I am new here and this is my first post. I am not a KM practitioner but very interested and hopefully will be practicing soon. Anywho…

I do not claim to be an expert, just going on experience. I am an avid strongman/powerlifter and kettle bells have helped me considerably.

Here are some links for kettlebells:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/
    http://www.russiankettlebells.com/

The kettlebell book written by Pavel is very good. He is pretty much the granddady of kettlebells.

I also recommend checking out the fighter related articles of http://www.elitefts.com. It is geared towards MMA but the principles can be applied to those looking to improve themselves for combat sports as opposed to strength competitions.

garddawg

Edit..
    See ya’

g-v

The laydown, it’s a great exercise for combat conditioning, it builds explosive power. But, you really need to do them a certain way to get the most out of them. You gotta do them balistically when you push off the ground, it’s no good to do them slow, like a pushup.

What I do is, I throw my mp3 on shuffle, and do laydowns for the length of a song, and then I’ll pound on my bag for another song, take a breather and then do jumping squats for a song, back on the bag for another, so on.

g-v

Bas used to have this one workout on youtube, I haven’t seen it recently, but what he did was a series of workouts in a circuit, all one minute each, without breaks.

So I’m like, hmmm, ok…grabbed a clock with a second hand, and plagiarized, haha. A minute was too much for me at the time, so I shortened it to 30 seconds, would do pushups for 30 seconds, then pullups (with my feet up, supported), situps/leg raises, jumping squats, that sorta stuff, no stops for 20 minutes.

It’s 20 minutes well spent…got me buff! http://www.deanfaulder.co.uk/myspace/borat.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: