Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion home defense weapons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    crazy-train

this may have been talked about in another thread, so please excuse me if it has.

i figured with the wealth of knowledge on these forums, this would be the best place to go for a few opinions and answers. a friend of mine has bought his first house and is looking into some home defense. i suggested a shotgun because of the simple point and click interface and the large area it can cover especially under stress and other factors that may be involved. he isn’t partial to that idea, he doesn’t want collateral damage to his walls :/. so i suggested he may want to look into a 9mm with hollow points, figuring the hollow points are less likely to do as much damage to his walls.

i’m no expert on fire arms, my expertise ends at a basic understanding of how they work and being able to shoot them down range and would appreciate any input available.

stevetuna

Re: home defense weapons

I’m a fan of the shotgun. It’s tough for someone to argue with one. I suspect that I could jump up from my little ol’ chair right now and latch on to a Mossberg pump with a Surefire light on the rail within three or so seconds.

Of course I still have a bad leg, otherwise I’d have it in two…

crazy-train

i hear ya on the shotgun, and i just can’t convince him otherwise. i consulted my dad, and he agrees with the shotgun idea. he also agreed with the 9mm hollow point alternative with his reasoning being that it is a smaller round with less recoil than a .40+ caliber, making it easier to acquire the target. and with his current room mate being female, that a 9mm may be less intimidating than a shotgun.

russell

i like the taurus judge for a home defense handgun its a 5 shot revolver that shoots a 410 shotgun shell/slug or the 45 long colt, load it with the federal 410 defense shotgun load (about 15.00 for a box of 25) its a low recoil shell with #4 shot in it

but the best is the mossberg 500 or remington 870 pump with double or triple 0 buck you can buy the military buck for about 6.00 a box(5 rounds)

i remember what a sheriff’s deputy told me one time he said “i’ve pointed my handgun at people, i’ve pointed my ar15 at people, and they keep on going, but if i rack my shotgun the stop right away”

hope this helps
    russell

michaelmall

I got this one,saw it on a gun defense show.The shot gun
    was used with bird shot.It did damage to one wall and
    did not penetrate second.Pistol could penetrate wall and
    outer wall and possibly into your neighbor house.It is not
    a good thing to shoot at a suspect and end up killing an
    innocent person.I would rather fix an interior wall than
    go to jail for killing a neighbor. Steve glad you handle
    the mossberg,good reliable gun.

jaspthecat

LOL, all this talk of guns for home defence.

In the UK, we would prosecuted if we tickled an intruder with a feather, nevermind blow his head off…..

don

A website where they’ve done some testing on penetration:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

crazy-train

quote jaspthecat:

In the UK, we would prosecuted if we tickled an intruder with a feather, nevermind blow his head off…..

here in wisconsin, if someone breaks into your house while you are there, we can defend ourselves as we see fit, under reason. but, if the individual escapes, we can be held liable for their injuries.

crazy-train

the box o’ truth site is pretty slick too. just spent like an hour and a half reading it 🙂

paul

quote michaelmall:

I got this one,saw it on a gun defense show.The shot gun
    was used with bird shot.It did damage to one wall and
    did not penetrate second.Pistol could penetrate wall and
    outer wall and possibly into your neighbor house.It is not
    a good thing to shoot at a suspect and end up killing an
    innocent person.I would rather fix an interior wall than
    go to jail for killing a neighbor. Steve glad you handle
    the mossberg,good reliable gun.

I have a shotgun loaded with slugs and buckshot, I am going to convert to 4 shot for this reason. My firing lines would not put my son in danger or my neighbors , but using shot leaves one less thing to think about.

G Gordon Liddy was asked what weapon he preferred while he was in the FBI. He stated that when the agents went to retrieve a weapon they picked the 12gauge shotgun over anything else.

paul

quote jaspthecat:

dont they even have a manual on how to tackle an intruder:dunno:

michaelmall

Well check the UK off my list of places to live.rofl2

jaspthecat

quote paul:

dont they even have a manual on how to tackle an intruder:dunno:

The advice seems to be let them get on with it.

There is of course the notion of reasonable force but the term reasonable seems to act far more for the criminal than it does the victim.

baptist

quote jaspthecat:

Ridiculous ini, I’ve heard of cases where someone comes down in the night face to face with an intruder, gets into a scuffle, restrains the intruder, yaddah yaddha then the homeowner gets sued by the intruder cos he’s injured his ankle and can’t work! :Surprised:

The UK laws are just ridiculous, the law is on the offenders side unfortunately, comfy prisons, slap on the wrists for beatings and muggings etc, no hope :thunbsdown:

phlegmon27

I got the wifey a Remington 870 with a tac light for under her side of the bed. First round is a beanbag, the next 5 are #4Buck (just in case baddy doesn’t get the idea)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: