Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion home defense weapons

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    don

Re: home defense weapons

I think it’s also important (I’m pretty sure I’m not saying anything new to anyone here) that, whatever weapon/tool you decide to go with, everyone who will be using that weapon/tool be comfortable and proficient with it AND have the mental mindset to use it without hesitation if/when the time comes…

phlegmon27

@ Don: That’s a great point, and part of the reason for the beanbag round in the chamber. I need my wife to be willing to pull the trigger without hesitation. If she “knows” that the first round won’t be fatal (I know that they can be if you catch someone in the right spot or at close range, but she doesn’t) then it will hopefully eliminate the hesitation.

+1

So providing that she actually hits the “baddie” with the BB (which are notoriously inaccurate, trust me, I evaluate them for my department), and he does not get the “idea”, your wife now has to cycle the action and reacquire the sights before re-engaging the “baddie”. Who by now is pissed off. And moving quickly. And probably armed. See where I’m going with this?

I rarely criticize on an open forum, but this plan has fail written all over it, so hopefully some people will learn. Most of these situations are so dynamic that they last only seconds. Asking someone who is not highly trained to make this many decisions in such a compressed time frame is absolute folly (shoot BB, evaluate result, perceive suspect action, cycle shotgun action, find bad guy, reacquire sights, re-evaluate decision to shoot, shoot). Hell, most police can’t do it after about 300 hours of tactics and firearms training. That’s why the decision needs to be made before the cycle begins. If someone has penetrated my first line of defense, they are not there to sell me Amway or listen to my Johnny Mathis CD’s, they are there to do me or my family harm.

Mixing lethal and less lethal is an absolute tactical no-go. There is a reason the Military and LE communities require separate, clearly marked delivery systems. If your wife does not think that she can take a life, try a taser or spray. Both of those generally incapacitate quickly. Bean Bags are used to gain compliance from a distance, and only when there is a Soldier or Officer covering with lethal force. Suspects are generally not truly incapacitated by BB’s, and we have had to kill several suspects because they still had enough gumption in them to want to fight it out even after a bean bagging. Bean Bags fill a niche, but not this one. Please reconsider.

phlegmon27

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Bean Bags fill a niche, but not this one. Please reconsider.

Jeremy, I appreciate your input and respect your opinion. Unfortunately, it falls into the minority when placed next to the dozens of others that were weighed when making this decision. I solicited input from various LE (local and federal from the DC area) as well as former and active military members. The general feeling was that given all the factors involved(layout of domicile, level of training, use of force laws in VA, other countermeasures in place, ease of use, and willingness to deploy) that this was the way to go. I see all of your points and agree that if some of the factors were different, spray or taser might be a better option.

Anonymous

i made a quick video of weapons around the home that can be used very basically and quickly by anyone in a home invasion or defence situation ( in uk gun and weapon laws are tight so i had to improvise ) take a loom and let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fweDbEYAGF4

aviatordave

For the UK, I used to suggest a jawbreaker in a sock, but apparently those are now illegal as well.

Here’s a little saying I’m fond of:

A handgun keeps someone off your person, a shotgun keeps them out of your house, and a rifle keeps them off your property.

I’ve got several of each, I’d probably grab the shotgun for things that go bump in the night – higher probability of hits when awoken from sleep, less penetration through walls, but can still cause lots of damage.

It kind of depends on where I am, where the intruder is, and where the rest of my family is at the time.

The less experience someone has with handguns, the more I’d lean towards a shotgun.

kravmdjeff

Am I the only one that finds it a bit strange that someone is taking into consideration the preservation of drywall when their life is at stake?

Jeremy, if someone HAS reconciled the taking of a life in a home-invasion situation, what would you suggest for someone who is willing to train? I mean…assuming a right roundkick to the head isn’t an option 🙂

michaelmall

Answer me this,if a slug or bullet that you are shooting at a bad guy goes outside of your house and kits an innocent
    person an kills them who is at fault.

phlegmon27

@ Jeff: I believe most folks are worried about what is on the other side of the drywall. Spouse, child, innocent neighbor, etc.

crazy-train

he was worried about the drywall itself. serious. something about resale value and not wanting to spend a lot of money repairing the walls.

i did talk to him about it some more though, and right round kicked some sense into his head. he likes the shotgun for the fright by sight, but is more worried about multiple trajectories of multiple objects fired from the gun; so he feels that one projectile with one trajectory is safer. so, still leaning towards a 9mm.

Anonymous

just a quick video i made of everyday defensive weapons tha might be around your house should you not be able to get to your gun or , these might just come in hands to show a loved one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fweDbEYAGF4

let me know what you think

regards francokrav

coda-vex

Spam

phlegmon27

francokrav is sir spamsalot. 90% of his posts are, “Come see my videos on youtube.”

kylestyle913

francokrav = douche

crazy-train

i like his creativeness, but, a credit card is too awkward to get to. the pen should be supported at one end to aid in the penetration of the attacker’s skin. lighter, and flailing keys…wth? a tv remote works if used as a hammer, little brother did it to me the other day, broke the remote, but left a nice bump on my head. the distractions are decent and can buy some time.

but seriously, the video should have been posted one time….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: