Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How do classes in different areas compare?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    aviatordave

I keep reading about how much of a workout everyone gets in their KM class, and I wanted to see some synopses of what each class consists. I’ve definitely been learning a lot as far as techniques go, but except for one instructor, after the warmup, it’s not very physically demanding at all.

I know some of it is because before KM, I’d been training with an ex pro-boxer that really ran us ragged. Our “warmups” consisted of things like 5 of us pushing one of them in his Jeep Mountaineer for laps around the sloped parking lot, or running windsprints for 15 minutes with pushups and dips at each end, or pushing two 45 pound plates on a towel back and forth across the gym floor several times. Then we started the actual workout, which was 10 3-minute rounds of focus mitts, heavy bag, jumping rope, shadow boxing with dumb bells, and some crazy full-body exercise that changed every workout, either mountain-climbers, or burpees with dumb bells, or box squats, etc. Oh yeah, followed by two 3-minute rounds of abs.

In short, I’m easily in the best shape of my life since probably high school over 20 something years ago.

So the one KM instructor had a good mix – some drills he wanted to see perfect technique, but others he wanted to see all out aggression. We still strived for perfect technique, but the goal was to go all out and he wouldn’t stop once fatigue set in and the technique started to slip. The other instructor stresses only technique. Which again, I’m learning a lot about the techniques, I have no complaints there whatsoever. I was just expecting a harder workout at the same time based on all the other reports I read here.

So are my classes typical for the beginner classes, and will get harder in higher levels, or do they sound less intense that what some of you are taking? I was just curious how it compares to other programs.

smokelaw1

Re: How do classes in different areas compare?

I busted up my hand the other night so am not goig to type much (or well)…but the workout with that ex pro boxer sound INSANE. I’d like one or two of those a week on top of Krav!!

kirsten

Thats a pretty big question… Everybody teaches differently… Every school is a little different. If you get a chance to travel, call ahead and check out KMW schools in the area where you are going. You will have a blast, learn something new and get insight into your own school.

Off topic, but AviatorDave, is that an ATF tax stamp I see? SBRing, are we? 😉

Dave,

I see you are in Dallas so we probably train at the same place. If you are not getting enough physical workout out of your Krav basic class I suggest you attent the StrongFit or Combat Cardio prior to these classes on Mon and Wed.

We are lucky that we have a fairly large and diverse group of instructors. Some stress technique in their class while others stress the physical side (I mean mindset, agression, and staying in the fight). The amount of physical exertion is also dependent on the material being covered, some classes are just less physically demanding than others.

Some students have their favorite instructors, I appreciate and have learned from all of them.

Remember, there’s a time to reform your technique and a time for that killer workout.

CCB

aviatordave

quote raising_arizona:

Off topic, but AviatorDave, is that an ATF tax stamp I see? SBRing, are we? 😉

Well I do have a few for SBRs, but that one happens to be an HK machine gun sear. 🙂

aviatordave

quote CaptnCornerBanger:

Dave,

I see you are in Dallas so we probably train at the same place. If you are not getting enough physical workout out of your Krav basic class I suggest you attent the StrongFit or Combat Cardio prior to these classes on Mon and Wed.

We are lucky that we have a fairly large and diverse group of instructors. Some stress technique in their class while others stress the physical side (I mean mindset, agression, and staying in the fight). The amount of physical exertion is also dependent on the material being covered, some classes are just less physically demanding than others.

Some students have their favorite instructors, I appreciate and have learned from all of them.

Remember, there’s a time to reform your technique and a time for that killer workout.

CCB

It’s not that I’m not getting “enough”, I was just wondering if other areas were more rigorous. You must go to the Dallas location, I’m way out east, so I go to Plano. I can’t make the 6pm classes on Mon-Wed, but I may try the strong fit on saturday morning at the Dallas studio. The description looks something I would enjoy. Since it’s at 9, I could make that, and still make the KM1 class at 10:30 in Plano.

But it’s no big deal, I’m not at all disappointed with the instruction I’m getting in Plano. All 4 of the instructors are really great, and I’ve learned a lot in a very short time from all of them. I was just curious more than anything.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: