Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How do you keep in shape for Krav

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    johnny-fred

————————————————————————————-

Week 1-3

Mon-Fri:

1. 5 minutes of stretching.
    2. 100 sit-ups
    3. 50 push-ups
    4. 30 pull-ups
    5. 15 fingertip pushups
    6. 100 body squats
    7. 1 mile of jogging

Sat-Sun:

1. 10 minutes of stretching
    2. 20 pushups
    3. 20 body squats
    4. 20 pull ups

Week 4-9

Mon-Fri:

2. 200 sit-ups
    3. 100 push-ups
    4. 20 fingertip push-ups
    5. 65 pull-ups
    6. 200 body squats
    7. 2 miles of jogging

Sat-Sun:

2. 25 push-ups
    3. 40 body squats
    4. 25 pull-ups

Week 10-16

Mon-Fri:

2. 300 sit-ups
    3. 200 push-ups
    4. 35 fingertip push-ups
    5. 70 pull-ups(You’ll have to do these in sets probably with small breaks)
    6. 250 pushups if you can’t conduct the pull-ups
    7. 300 body squats
    8. 2 miles of jogging

Sat-Sun:

2. 30 push-ups
    3. 100 body squats
    4. 45 pull-ups

Week 17-24

2. 100-300 sit-ups
    3. 200-400 push-ups
    4. 20-75 fingertip pushups
    5. 30-100 pull-ups
    6. 250-500 body squats
    7. 1.5-5 miles of jogging

Sat-Sun
    You choose.

————————————————————————————-

For weeks after 24 add weight, and start the routine again.
    All exercises should be attempted consecutively.
    If you cannot do all the repetitions in one set, work up to it, and do them in different sets with small breaks in between.
    If you NEED to, you can take ONE day a week off for a rest. (Preferable Saturday or Sunday)

garddawg

Too much. Too much isolation, too much specialization. If you want to be a bodybuilder, have joint trouble, and be unable to use your body in an athletic manner then continue that type of training. I’ll stick with the Bas Rutten tapes, Krav Maga fitness program and CrossFit.

johnny-fred

would it be better just to take one weight exercises from each of the groups (biceps, triceps, etc) and use those every workout?

thanks,

clfmak

Thats a pretty burly schdule. Lately, I’ve been working on overall fitness over the media version of it. I do hindu squats and push-ups, hill sprints, bridging tree climbing (an old kun tao exercise) and rock climbing, martial arts (provides its own conditioning), bag work, hiking and walking, stretching (mostly legs and lower back) and various shaolin force exercises. These include various qigong (deep breathing) exercises, low stance training, and slow motion forms and exercises with weights (pretty light ones). Lately, I’ve also started to use Indian clubs, which I find to be quite agreeable. I’m considering getting a video about yoga for the martial artist- I like the idea, and I’ve read a lot of top level grapplers do some form of yoga- it teaches you to breathe and relax in odd positions (functional in grappling) and strengthens core muscles.
    Much of this training is a more recent occurence with me. Its a lot of slower, more relaxed exercise with deep breathing, but still good stuff. I don’t appear to be as fit as I was when I was focusing more on in vogue exercises (sit ups, etc) as I don’t have the real distinct six pack anymore (thanks a lot, qigong!), but I can spar without getting winded, and do other things. And I don’t forsee joint or tendon damage. Breathing is the most important thing you can learn how to do for keeping in shape for martial arts.
    Maybe I’m just going through a hippie stage.

garddawg

CLFMak,
    Good to see you over here again. If you are interested in clubs check out http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/. I met a women last week at a seminar at the Colorado State Police academy. She is heavily into clubbells and can do over 40 deadhang pull ups. Pretty amazing.

keeiii

I feel the only part of my body that does not get a full workout in Krav Maga is my biceps. So I do curls as I sit at computer.

johnny-fred

is their anyway i could improve my workout

thanks,

laurar

Johnny_Fred,

Hi…I’m not qualified to critique your current workout but GardDawg’s assesment about specialization and isolation is something you probably want to look at.

I found that adding crossfit (http://crossfit.com) workouts to my day has really improved my conditioning for the KickBoxing classes I take. Crossfit focuses on overall body conditioning, stamina, balance, strength and a host of other items as a sort of wholistic approach to fitness. It has made a big difference in my kicking and punching power, and even my form as it has added to my ability to hold my stance and guard up longer and helped my reflexes.

One of the best parts is some days you only have a 15 minute workout – so with a warmup of pushups, pullups, etc you would get a very taxing overall body workout in about a half hour. Other days the workout takes a bit longer depending on how fast you run or do other functional movements.

I’ve just passed my 3 month mark on the \”program\” – completely free on their website and lots of great support and advice at their forums. I also take classes led by GardDawg twice a week, so I defer to his expertise in giving any advice on your specific workout. 🙂

Happy Thanksgiving!
    🙂

johnny-fred

garddog, would it be better to take one exercise from each of the groups (bi’s tri’s, etc) and use those each workout? and is their any proof for joint damage by using weights, if so, what is the cause of it?

thanks,

garddawg

J.F.
    What are your goals. Are your goals to be a better fighter or be a bodybuilder. Your goals will determine your program. So, tell us what you want to achieve from all the work outside of your Krav Maga classes.

clfmak

Johnny Fred: like I mentioned, you may want to look into a video called introducing yoga to the martial artist or something like that. Just check google. Some type of breathing exercise may be a good addition. That, and there’s the benefit of flexibility, which is neglected in some people’s conditioning. Also, on your thoughts about isolation muscle groups: for real sports conditioning you may want to look into NOT isolating muscle groups. For conditioning, exercises that target muscle groups in a way that they are actually used are good. For example, very seldom in the martial arts will you ever isolate just one group like the bicep. This is why I started Indian club training. Also, have you ever seen anyone shadowboxing with light weights? This is also good.

johnny-fred

I am looking to be a better fighter. What, for example, would be some good exercises to increase what i need to be a better fighter. (strength, endurance, speed, etc)

straykat

IMHO the Bas workout is the best all around way for increasing endurance speed etc. I do like weight training on my non KM workout days. Not as intense as yours, but I manage to hit the weights 2-3 per week.

johnny-fred

Ok, thanks, but i don’t have the bas tapes, and i can’t really buy them. All i have is a pullup bar, and some weights. Would it be better to get one weight-exercise from all of the mucle groups, and use them every workout? Or what other exercises could i incorporate into my schedule to be a better fighter?

thanks,

garddawg

J.F.
    Since your goal is to be a better fighter and not be a bodybuilder stay away from isolation movements. There is plenty of ancetodtal evidence pointing to isolation movements contributing to joint damage. Also, compound movements teach your body to work as a unit. Isolation movements teach your body to work in, well isolation. Secondly, try to blur the lines between cardio and weightlifting. Nature does not recognize this distinction and yet people train these two systems seperatly. In a fight, you move, punch, lift, carry, throw, grapple, etc. at the same time during a fight not independantly. Strive to train that way. I started training my 13 year old this way six months ago. He started being able to do 20 good push ups, 5 pullups and he ran a 7:15 mile. After six months he was able to do 26 pulllups 65 good push ups and run a 6:20 mile. He also took a 5 hour Krav Maga level one test and came through with energy to spare. Those results couldn’t be reproduced by someone following a bodybuilding type workout. Stick with compund movements, the powerlifts, Olympic lifts and your bodyweight movements like pushups and pullups. All these movements can be learned from vids on the web and versions of them can be done with dumbbells if you do not have a bar, so there is no reason to say that you cannot do them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: