Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hurt Back Playing Golf…Train through it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Not major but pain when I get up, very tight. Take a few days off from Krav Maga or suck it up?

mara-jade

Re: Hurt Back Playing Golf…Train through it?

I can only speak for myself but I wouldn’t take any chances. Resting a few days won’t hurt :wav:

Don’t mess with the back….Take a few days off. I made the mistake of “pushing through” a back injury and made something that should have lasted 3 or 4 days last a month. It’s just not worth it.

unstpabl1

Seeing a chiro or getting myo fascile release would be smart. Also Ice not heat from the advice I’ve been given in the past.

kmman

Thanks everyone. I could not train this weekend anyway so taking Wednesday and Thursday off should help. Back on Monday…oh no….the cardio!!! Better keep up the cardio somehow.

unstpabl1

quote KMMAN:

Thanks everyone. I could not train this weekend anyway so taking Wednesday and Thursday off should help. Back on Monday…oh no….the cardio!!! Better keep up the cardio somehow.

Might want to think about that. When my back is tweaked even walking will knot it up. I think because we end up structually out of alignment…lite strething /yoga? Seriously follow Stafford’s recomendation. A minor back thing can take a long time to heal if you muck up

YRG..Yoga For Regular Guys is a great book/DVD. Its by Diamond Dallas Page the rassler. Its basically power yoga with a twist. Google YRG…he has 20, 30 and 45 minute sets. It will help your cardio as well. Its the breath work within it….good stuff when I’m smart enough to do it

Google Tennis Ball MyoFascile release…tons of info on the net…It’s pressure point therapy you can do on your own all you need is a tennis ball, a wall, and pain tolerence LOL..Try it with a golf ball if your feeling a tad sadistic oh and ice

I’m not a doctor so take any of this with a grain of salt. I was a caddy and there are only 2 kind of caddies, those with back and neck problems and those about to have them

Be well

kmman

Thanks…Im going to be holed up in a hotel this weekend, I just packed a tennis ball and I’ll do the research.

karmaok

Over the years, I have been terrible at jumping back to hard training once pain is gone-instead of letting things heal. I could maybe slide by early on, but not a good strategy later in life. Train smart to stay healthy over the long haul. Rest and recuperation are not time off from training-they are a part of training.

Jeff

unstpabl1

quote KMMAN:

Thanks…Im going to be holed up in a hotel this weekend, I just packed a tennis ball and I’ll do the research.

Hope she’s cute…I’m going to hell I know….Your welcome..but read up on it and don’t roll the ball over your spine

KarmaOK good post. welcome

As a thought. even The Dog Brothers, the guys who do full contact stick fighting w/ limited protection have the motto To walk as A Warrior All Of Your Days. It means to take care of your body.Train and recover.

leejam99

tennis ball is a bit to soft. use a La crosse ball. make sure to stretch out hamstrings/back of the legs. Use Ice on and off.

kmman

I read that Kong toys (dog toys) are good also. I have a few of those for my Boxer Pup.

rfc

Deep massage and heat are your best friends. -And yes, like everyone said, take a few days off.

FWIW: Back in February, I fell 2 feet from a ladder when the 3rd step broke through. My lower back landed right across a thick cardboard box that was laying on the ground. (You’ll be happy to know I did a very successful break-fall and spared my head from getting split on the concrete floor). Pain was off the charts and had to get assistance and be driven to the ER.

The spinea erector and lumbar muscles were badly bruised and it looked like a tennis ball under my skin. Painful as it was, the therapist kneaded it down and I had to do that 3 times a day for the next 5-7 days. They told me that when muscles repair themselves, various fluids (collagens) build-up in the muscle at the injury site. The fluids need to be squeezed out because they become slighlty toxic once they’ve done their job and that can lead to prolonged pain and muscle adhesions.

The deep massage and heat worked very well and things fully recovered in 2 weeks. I figured for sure I’d be out for a month and it seems the deep massage sped things up a good bit.

Oh yeah, Advil was helpful too. I flushed the month supply of Oxycoton down the toilet. Screw that stuff…

unstpabl1

This last post brings up an interesting controversy..Heat vs Ice….My chiro and YRG recommends ice over heat moist or dry…wondering what others think…I do better witth ice…Heat feels good but inflames it after.

rfc

I asked that very question to the therapist that helped me. BTW: He was a former varsity and college wrestler who had a terrible car accident that ended his sport. He’s now a Ph.D in physical therapy and we still keep in-touch because he does some martial arts and likes the concept of Krav…

Here’s what he told me RE: Ice vs. Heat… It really depends on the type of injury. For ligaments and tendons (knees, elbows, shoulders etc), ice is usually used immediately (within moments) after the injury to keep swelling down. The sooner, the better. When an injury occurs, swelling happens very fast and it stretches the tissues, causing additional damage. Ice keeps the swelling from happening. For the first 24 hours they recommend going between ice and room temperature and always avoid stretching or deep flexing after ice packs. After that, they recommend ice or heat depending on what feels right and only to flex/stretch after heat.

As for muscles… Muscles tend to cramp-up when ice is applied and it also slows-down the rate at which the collagen fluids can come to rescue the area. It’s best to massage muscles after they’ve been warmed-up.

I’m not a doctor so take it for what it’s worth… I’ve had more than one qualified people tell me this and it always works for me. YMMV.

tech94

im an RN and involved in alot of sports and i’ve been training in P90x as of late and this is a very common question. the advice RFC has given is on point. ice immediately after the injury and then for 24hrs is god to relieve the swelling at a joint and heat to relax the muscle soreness. i have chronic plantar fasciitis and heel spurs and i use ice almost every night on my heels especially after a long 12 hr shift or a real hard day of training.. my head says i’m 20 my body sometimes aches like i’m 40 and im only 33. i tend tp push the body to hard sometimes so rest is definetly your friend

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: