Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics I can’t kick above the waist!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    magpie

I think my weakest techniques are my side and round kicks, mainly because I can’t kick above (my) waist level with proper form. This is the main reason that I dropped out of TKD many years ago. The only people I could kick in the face are toddlers or little people (not that I’d ever do that, of course).

In a street situation, I would never send a high kick anyway, but I’m worried that I’ll get dinged for this when I take my L2 test in a few months. Should I be concerned?

I’m just not very flexible. :/

cinnamongirl

Re: I can’t kick above the waist!

Hey Magpie – I have the same limitation – due to a lower back issue, I can’t kick high either. I was worried about this going into my L2 test (back in March), but my instructor told me not to worry about kicking high, just work on my technique. A kick to the knee, shin or even ankle can mess a dude up in a fight! I would talk to your instructor about your concern, I’m sure they will tell you the same thing. Good luck in your test!

lions2011

The only kick you need is the groin kick!!!!

kmky

Imho always consider the risk/reward of kicking – kicking the head is high reward but riskier than kicking the knee or the groin (which are high reward/low risk to my thinking), so I wouldn’t worry too much about not being able to kick high.

Maybe just work on mobility of the hips? It will take time but eventually you may be able to recover enough mobility to be able to strike above the waist.

lions2011

I have good body kicks because of Muay Thai. Those would cause some real serious damage in a fight.
    The French savate kick to the knee is good too. Also the heel kick to the groin is good one. Very easy to use from rear bear hug.

nigelm

I train – and encourage training – to kick above the waist. BUT this is simply develop stretch / mobility / balance. It’s an exercise ONLY. NOT for combat!

Kicking above the waist in a H2H is NOT RECOMMENDED in 99% situations. It takes longer to deliver. You’ll be exposed whilst your kicking leg is raised. And if you miss then you’ll be off balance – and the really exposed.

Kicking above the waist looks good in the movies, it’s a good exercise to do in the gym / dojo. Just don’t take it onto a real fight.

quote NigelM:

Just don’t take it onto a real fight.

I’ll agree with most of your post, except this. Take it to the fight, but use it when appropriate.

I’m a fan of knees and the teep/push kick, and I think that the push kick is something that must be mastered.

jasonnorin

I have a similar problem as far as kicking is concerned. Every time I try to throw a high kick, it feels like the muscles on my thighs are going to get ripped off. Or does it really feel that way for a beginner?

jjbklb

kicking above the waist/

In my dreams

jasonnorin

In my imagination, I can do it quite perfectly. 🙂

kravandy

If you are unable to kick above the waist, that is your limitation. Focus on making your kicks within your reach zone as strong as possible and rely on those as well as other combatives. Imi developed Krav Maga for anyone to defend themselves, regardless of age, size, gender, or other limitations. All Israelis are obligated to serve in the military, so the system must cater to and work for everyone.
    thumbsup

rav373

There’s nothing wrong with kicking below the waist. There are many martial arts that utilize the non-flashy low kicks. Probably the most effective is the oblique/stomp kick that targets the knee(below the knee), shin and the top of foot(instep).

When you combine with good hand combinations it is unbeatable and can be done in a non-telegraphic motion. For self-defense situation it is perfect to implement with other techniques. Here’s an example demo by Paul Vunak (I am not affiliated to their organization) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqJgrdzPHE

Hope that helps in seeing low kicks aren’t so bad.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: