Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics I’m bored in Level 1- help!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hey all-
    I recently started in Krav Maga. I’ve been interested in it for years but up until recently, hadn’t found a school/instructor in my area that I liked. For the last few years I’ve been doing Thai boxing, some mixed combatives training that was systema- based, as well as studying and researching combatives systems and instructors on my own.
    I really like Krav, and I know there is a lot I can learn from it, but I am honestly bored out of my mind in level 1. I’m not trying to be arrogant- I don’t think I’m a badass or a ninja or something. But I am also not a beginner. I try to use the partner time to experiment with stuff that is new to me- maybe a particular clinch or takedown that I’ve been researching, even a Krav technique (for example- If we’re drilling a choke defense, following it up with face/head controlls to achieve chest-to-back position- aka Nir Maman) but it still ends up frustrating my training partners- most of whom are beginners. In order to not be a bully, I feel like i have to exercise so much restraint that I am not stimulated by training.
    My question is- for someone who comes into Krav Maga with previous martial arts or combatives training- how can I keep my self interested and learn in level 1 while benefiting my training partners and not acting like a show-off?
    Thank you for your help!

snowman

Re: I’m bored in Level 1- help!

How long have you been doing level 1? Do you feel you are proficient in level 1? If you feel you are proficient ask your instructor if they feel your are ready to test out. Have you watched a level 2 class and feel you have something to learn?

unstpabl1

I’ve never been bored in a martial art class. Maybe you should move on to something else where you won’t bore yourself.

With that said I just came home from a bjj class with a masters BB US Nat champ, the 2012 Gracie Nat champ purple belt/2013 silver and another Gracie Nat silver medalist. We worked the basic white belt back escape for 2 hours. And those 2 purple belts always take the white belt classes. There is a reason those 3 guys usually hit the podium.

kevinmack

stop thinking about width and focus on depth

I’d argue you’re thinking too much. Thinking of it as “beginner” because it occurs that way sequentially is a misunderstanding of the purpose of the instruction; think of it as “fundamental”. We are never too good to practice, improve and reinforce our fundamentals. I’ll try not to step out of my bounds too far here, as I’m not a Krav instructor, but is your partner time not supervised and used to drill techniques taught during that lesson or previous lessons? I get free-sparring, but if you’re doing free-sparring often enough to frustrate training partners I think there could be a problem.

You should have a discussion with your Instructor. The solution might be as easy as partnering you with a more advanced student, or maybe you are ready to move up. Or maybe (just maybe, I don’t know you) you really aren’t as ready as you think you are. The Instructor will know better than all of us! The yellow belt test is usually a good tool to see if you’ve got a handle on the material, as it forces you to perform under more stress and fatigue than a normal class. Good Luck to you.

maddogmean

Not saying that this applies to you directly, but be mindful of how these techniques apply in a system like KM. I’ve partnered with some very experienced grapplers who always wanted to take me to the ground in our drills. A choke defense, a combative or two and then the takedown. It would have been a bad day for him if I had a knife or a buddy or two ready to jump in. Trust your instructors to give you a good foundation in not just techniques, but also strategy.

lions2011

You should take the next test and move on.

Many students I know only stayed in level 1 for about 3-4 months.
    I stayed for about 9-10 months to make sure I absorb as much as possible. Plus I went to 2-3 classes per week. Probably log on over 120 hours in level 1.

Many students only did 40 if that.

I do find Level 1 to have a better curriculum that level 2-3. Level 1 I think is the best part of Krav Maga.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: