Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics I’m probably thinking into it way too much … but …

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    ali

Re:

[quote:196c571815=\”CJs Dad\”][quote:196c571815=\”La Revancha\”]20 classes in 2 weeks!
    .[/quote:196c571815]

Isn’t that normal?[/quote:196c571815]

😀 I’m averaging 11 classes a week myself – between Level 1, Level 2, Ground and Fight class. I recently started going to my school early in the morning and doing bagwork.

I’m a bit of an addict. The upside? Lots of energy, increased stamina – and I’m getting muscle tone that I never got going to the gym. The downside? I’m always a little punchy – my co-workers are afraid of me. (or maybe that’s a good thing?)

Ali

brentw

The main problem is that you won’t see all the Lvl 1 curriculum in a month and 2 weeks. The curriculum is staggered out so it takes 2-3 months to see everything and then you also need to get the repetition.

Here is the other thing – Krav is like Legos. The stuff you see in Lvl 1 will be re-applied in all the higher levels. Concepts and ideas will carry throughout the system. It is integrated for a reason. Take the time to really nail Lvl 1 and then Lvl 2, and then…

(People use the house analogy with a good foundation but I wanted to go another way. ;-))

I know the enthusiasm – When I started, we were coming 5-7 days a week and taking 2 classes each time. Then we got to Lvl 2 and it was 3hrs of Krav a day. Train as much as your body and mind will allow. It will only make you more proficient. Do take the time to learn the system as opposed to the techniques. I think that’s what really makes Krav stand out.

giant-killer

Only two classes a day to start? You obviously weren’t hooked right away… 🙂 I think when I started I took about every LV1 class they had to offer, even day classes (and I have a bit to drive).

Yeah, no rush, I can see how you would like to get into higher levels. Before I was LV 5 (formerly LV4) I used to stand outside on the patio, watching through the window and doing all of the exercises on my own. Gives you some idea of what is about to come and a way to pass time in between classes. 8)

rq

Re:

[quote:60eb649b1b=\”Giant Killer\”]Only two classes a day to start? You obviously weren’t hooked right away… 🙂 I think when I started I took about every LV1 class they had to offer, even day classes (and I have a bit to drive).

Yeah, no rush, I can see how you would like to get into higher levels. Before I was LV 5 (formerly LV4) I used to stand outside on the patio, watching through the window and doing all of the exercises on my own. Gives you some idea of what is about to come and a way to pass time in between classes. 8)

Yep, only 2 Level 1 classes a day, because that’s all that is offered, otherwise if they offered 8 a day, believe me, I would be in all 8 a day 😉

rq

Re:

[quote:d8f4e871ac=\”Ali\”]

😀 I’m averaging 11 classes a week myself – between Level 1, Level 2, Ground and Fight class. I recently started going to my school early in the morning and doing bagwork.
    [/quote:d8f4e871ac]

Not bad!

If I count ground and bag and muay thai classes that bumps me up another 8 classes a week.

rick-prado

There is a certain progression involved in any type of martial art.

If you take advanced classes prematurely, inevitably, you will miss steps here and there, that you would need to have down pat, that will lead you to the next stepin a defense or a counter.

It’s great to learn arm bars and joint locks, but you have to know how to get an opponent in a position to get to them first.

IMHO, taking advanced without being ready will slow your progress.

Walk before you run, you can’t get to to top of the ladder without using the lower rungs

As an instructor, I love to see that level of enthusiasm in a student. That being said, one of the problems I see with back to back class taking, is that sometimes the student will hold back during drills and physically intense exercises because they know they have to do it again next class. Of course some would argue that this is a conditioning issue, but I think that most student would be better served with at least an hour break between classes. As a side note, My sadistic side might emerge if I thought that my student wasn’t getting a good enough workout in my class. I might have to move from a 20 minute warmup straight into 360 defenses and shinguard appreciation drills without the shinguards! 😈 Does that sound familiar Brent? 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: