Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jburtonpdx

On the 1 other forum I read often there is an ignore button. This button allows the registered user to ignore posts from any particular users (of course the moderators can not be ignored).

Is there any chance that such a feature is available on the software used by this forum?

giant-killer

Why would you want it? Wouldn’t you want to read ALL opinions, even those you might not necessarily agree with? Otherwise it may be hard to follow a conversation.

sean-akrav

It’s a really nice thing to have. I have used it on other forums.

giant-killer

Skip with your eyes. Don’t be a slave to the machine. 8)

sean-akrav

Its a lot easier to use an ignore button.

oldkravdude

Okay, I should let this thread die but………….

An ignore button would be great. There are just too many people on here from other systems that want to bash Krav. It is a credit to John Whitman and to Krav Maga Worldwide that they let these bozos voice their opinion on Krav’s own forum. A lot of it is so childish and uninformed and very disrespectful. Krav Worldwide is showing a lot of dignity to allow other opinions. It shows that Krav isn’t afraid to answer questions and to hear other opinions, that they are willing to work out the kinks. There is no other type of combat system that tries anywhere near as hard to maintain quality control of its product.

Yes, we can skip with our eyes but that is mighty hard to do. It’s like an automobile accident – no matter how ugly you just gotta look. Then all it does is get the old blood pressure up!!

Another problem is that there are a few members who have to post on EVERY topic. They bring the term \”Know it all\” to a new level.

My .02.

giant-killer

You are right, this thread should die, but I still wonder, what would be the point? It just sounds a bit as though you are afraid of other people’s opinions. Skip them with your eyes and then what, you may still catch a word or two? So what? There are really not that many \”negative\” posts out there. Also, someone who writes something that annoys you in one thread, might have something of value to offer in another. Pushing \”ignore\” buttons will eliminate all responses and thus might make it harder to follow a conversation. I don’t think it would do much good.

jburtonpdx

You are right, this thread should die, but I still wonder, what would be the point? It just sounds a bit as though you are afraid of other people’s opinions. Skip them with your eyes and then what, you may still catch a word or two? So what? There are really not that many \”negative\” posts out there. Also, someone who writes something that annoys you in one thread, might have something of value to offer in another. Pushing \”ignore\” buttons will eliminate all responses and thus might make it harder to follow a conversation. I don’t think it would do much good.

Seems like you don’t like that opinion.

I do not believe this thread should die, I believe its worth pursuing. Its not like having an ignore button would require everybody to ignore people. Its just an option that some people could use if they choose to.

I have seen it on another forum and it is very useful. When there is somebody on the forum that is just so far from the same position as you are that there is no value to the individual to read them it just makes it easier and allows the person that was bothered to continue to enjoy the forum. Sort of like an optional spam filter for email. Except its not email, its a forum and you can simply turn off what you consider to be the source of the spam.

Now if a person does not want to use an ignore button they could simply not use it and still enjoy the entire forum with no problems.

As far as making the conversation harder to follow and eliminating all responses. I did not find that to be the case. In fact, I found the entire experience to be much more enjoyable. Trolls could be recognized and ignored quickly for example. This allowed the regulars to carry on a reasonable conversation and not have to wade through the comments that had no basis in reality. It only ignores the posts from the person that is being ignored, so you can still follow the other participants conversations. If a person did find it hard to follow the conversation, they could simply choose to not ignore that other person any more.

I’m not sure I understand why it would bother you if this were available to other people to use? Its not like it would be forced on you to use it. As said before its optional.

A friend of mine put it best (at least in my opinion). He said \”I like everybody, its just that some people I like farther away from me then others.\” The ignore button is a virtual \”farther away\”….

sean-akrav

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

Are you afraid someone is going to ignore your opinion?

giant-killer

Well, I can see how it might be a useful thing on a bigger forum with dozens of new responses and topics everyday or one that doesn’t have a moderator. In that case, there may indeed be a lot of trolls, whose only mission is to distract, or people who are advertising.

This is a smaller forum however, with only a handful of new responses everyday and not too many active posters. I don’t think there is a huge problem with trolls or advertising. On occasion, there may be a person posting something critical of Krav Maga, but in those cases it may be better we respond instead of ignoring it and letting it stand there unopposed.

There are not too many heated debates and those we do have can actually be interesting. If everyone agrees on everything all of the time it can make things less engaging. Also, even if you don’t think you can convince the person you are debating of your own opinion, it can still make it an interesting read for other people, who haven’t yet made up their minds about the topic being discussed.

All in all, I don’t think excessive spam or trolls are a huge problem on this forum, leaving mostly regulars to ignore each other, which might result in fewer overall posts. You may decide to ignore one person and miss a good point he may have made on another topic, something you may be able to give a good answer to, which in turn could spark another valid conversation.

Anyway, I suppose it’s a moot point, because this forum doesn’t seem to have these kinds of buttons and I’m not sure they could be added.

jburtonpdx

Sure they can be added. phpBB has a tool similar to an \”ignore button\”. Its called Friend or Foe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: