Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics IKMF INSTRUCTOR TRAINING- WHATS IT LIKE?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi List

Has anybody done an IKMF Instructors course under Eyal ?

I start the instructors course the end of feb and am really interested in waht the course is like. Ispoke with 2 people about the course, (both of whom hav passed through it) 1 said its just lots of repitition nothing special, another said (quote) 24 days of blood and snot.

I am really eager to start, (nervous too 🙄 ) and wanted to find out as much as I could before hand. Any tips, or hints???

What is the fitness requirement like ?

I am a wing chun/jkd instructor, 41 years old and teach 3 to 4 times aweek.

Any helps or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Somerset!

I went through the IKMF instructor training in 98. I assume it is more or less the same nowadays.
    The training consists of techichal training and a lot of the emphasis is put on how to teach the techniques, what are the most common mistakes and how to correct them. There will be some padwork and sparring/grappling also but when you train for 8hrs a day you can’t go all out all the time for many weeks you know?
    There are also lectures on first aid, teaching, marketing etc. You will also hold classes to other instructors and your teaching abilities will be constantly evaluated.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the fitness side. Although it definitely is harder than watching tv for example the point of the course is not to turn you into a triathlonist but to make you a good instructor.

Instructor Training

Hi 😆

I have been teaching around 14 years and wanted something new, a new direction I guess. In this day and age its also nice to get a training qualification as a blackbelt or instructor registration is often worth little now.

The course sounds like its mostly teaching you to teach, which is not exactly what I was expecting, still good to improve your teaching though.

Can you get much full contact training in? I understood there was a fair degree of full contact training, this was an important reason for me, the personal challenge of hard training. One of my friends said tthe level of training is up to you, so I guess Ill go for it ❗

Thanks for the reply. Did you enjoy it, would you do it again ❓

There is some full contact training but not that much. Why risk injury when you have to train for a few weeks? If it is full contact challenge you are looking for I highly suggest training for some full contact bout (muay thai, NHB for example.)
    The idea of the instructor course is to teach you how to teach. It is not designed to make you super athlete or killer commando. If you are just looking for hard training in krav why not try out some intensive courses. The IKMF offer their tour and train trips in Israel which are quite popular. I also understand that the KMAA offer similar intensive training sessions/seminars in the states. And you can always come over here to Finland, I’m sure we can arrange for someone to kick your ass… 😛

Seriously, if you are not entering the course to become an instructor I see very little point in doing it.

Would I do it again?
    Yes. Eyal is a phenomenal teacher. I learned so much about teaching from him. That alone made the course worthwhile for me.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

No I have no great wish to go back in the ring, previously competed, in both boxing and kick boxing and had 2 mauy thai bouts , back in my 20 s and up to mid 30’s.

Just fancied a new challenge. Still it sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

anonymous

How long is that program? Do you need prior experience? After completing it, can you teach all levels of Krav Maga or only some? Just curious…..

The IKMF instructor training is around 4 weeks of intensive training. It is pretty much the same as the one used by KMAA. In both organizations you are instructed in a small group by the best KM instructors available so that is good.
    As for previous experiece yes you need it.
    How much?
    It depends. Is a black belt in some art worth more or less than a championship belt in another art? What about a guy who has never competed/done any belt tests in any art but who has excellent teaching abilities? What about a guy who has little experience in any martial art but has been working as a bouncer for the last 15 years in the seediest bar imaginable?
    So every individual is evaluated on a case by case basis. What is required from a KM instructor is that after the course he knows how to demonstrate the KM techniques at least adequately. He knows how to teach them, how to correct mistakes, how to hold class. Also he should have theoretical/first hand (preferably both) experience of real life violence. His personal fitness level should also be at least above average since he has to set an example. That is the whole thing in a nutshell.

After the course you are not allowed to teach all the curriculum yet. But enough to start a basic course and hold classes. What is required from an instructor is that he constantly improves himself also. Some have critiziced that the KM instructor training is short but those people have a)not attended the course and they do not know anything about it b)They have not seen what is taught in the course.
    They do not understand, that after the course you are at the beginning of your instructor career not the end of it.
    I highly respect John for constantly inviting those critics over to LA to watch the instructor training and even participate in it for a while. I believe no one has done that.

All in all for all who are interested I highly recommend the course. But if you are not interested in becoming an instructor then your money can be spent more wisely by getting intensive/private training.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: