Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge increased terrorism risk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    tech94

Re: increased terrorism risk

On 9/11 I was still working as a NYC paramedic, I’m now a critical care nurse. I was there for days digging. It had a major impact on my life. What I meant by my question was that if perhaps more people or even the flit attendants had been better trained in self defense/ preservation then maybe lives could’ve been spared. Same applies to any situation I’m which one person can make a difference by physically intervening

jburtonpdx

quote tech94:

On 9/11 I was still working as a NYC paramedic, I’m now a critical care nurse. I was there for days digging. It had a major impact on my life. What I meant by my question was that if perhaps more people or even the flit attendants had been better trained in self defense/ preservation then maybe lives could’ve been spared. Same applies to any situation I’m which one person can make a difference by physically intervening

I am a firm believer that safety and security is a personal responsibility. If the individual takes responsibility for themselves they will train, learn to use tools, and generally be aware/ready to take care of themselves. I also believe that this would lead to groups of people being willing to step in and stop tragedy when possible.

I don’t know that it would have stopped the attack, but I have to believe it would have mitigated the resulting tragedy.

I also believe it would give future ‘attackers’ something to think about.

bradm

I just read that two suicide bombers blew them selves up outside a military training Pakistan, killing 80 and wounding a couple hundred more. AlQuaida said it was in retalliation for killing Osama Ben Laden. and that more attacks are expected against Americans in Pakistan.

For me, personally, I believe that increased terriost attacks in the USA is a very real threat.

kmman

I agree Brad, the OP is in a field that clearly justifies training specifically for that threat which I didnt realize. Most of us should be training for all threats since the likelihood is less.

If youre in certain professions I would agree to ramp up that specific threat training.

tzrider

quote tech94:

What I meant by my question was that if perhaps more people or even the flit attendants had been better trained in self defense/ preservation then maybe lives could’ve been spared.

Perhaps so. One thing is very different now than prior to 9/11: Up until that point, when a group hijacked a plane, they landed it somewhere and made demands. Passengers were generally better off complying and the odds were they would make it through the ordeal.

Post 9/11, we now realize that some hijackers are on a suicide mission. There is nothing to lose by attacking such people and potentially something to gain. The passengers on UA Flight 93 realized this, some of them having already heard about the WTC planes. It didn’t help them survive, but they did keep the plane from reaching its intended target.

The point is, training helps but so does a fundamental shift in mindset when you have a new reality. A “nothing to lose” scenario changes everything.

tech94

quote tzrider:

The point is, training helps but so does a fundamental shift in mindset when you have a new reality. A “nothing to lose” scenario changes everything.

You’re absolutely right, nothing to lose mentality is a game changer

thecrownsown

Perhaps a slow but measured change in US foreign policy would help mitigate a lot of the terrorist threats? It certainly can’t happen overnight…but there has to be a better way of living than perpetually “standing on guard…” right?

What changes do you suggest?

kmman

Maybe the policies that will make the extremists like us? But then it will be difficult to protect our citizens and those of our allies…..hmmmm.

Maybe if we stop blowing up the drug labs which fund the Taliban hey will like us and stop the terrorist acts?

kevinmack

we could stop invading countries.

thecrownsown

quote KevinMack:

we could stop invading countries.

This is a great idea, and use intrusive military/intelligence action as a last resort instead of “part of the gov’t toolkit.”

The US is the largest monetary supporter of the UN, has huge credentials in aid, international development, etc. Unfortunately it doesn’t recieve the attention it should in these areas. The framework is already there for the US to flex it’s international clout in some very popular ways. But it always seems to be controversial military actions. Don’t meddle in other states affairs so much…whether the intentions are good or self self serving doesn’t really matter. With less international resentment I’m sure you could find better ways of spending money instead of on military, intelligence, etc. Say the economny, debt/defecit payments, etc. Decrease the threats from there initial stages and save the costs of expensive military/intelligence actions after the fact.

Oversimplified: Don’t get into fights with every kid in the nieghbourhood, and you don’t have to spend all your time and effort looking over your shoulder…even if you are the toughest kid on the block. You can spend your time on more productive things. Staying alert is great…continued paranoia, fear and interpreting everything as a potential threat…isn’t.

thecrownsown

quote KMMAN:

Maybe the policies that will make the extremists like us? But then it will be difficult to protect our citizens and those of our allies…..hmmmm.

Maybe if we stop blowing up the drug labs which fund the Taliban hey will like us and stop the terrorist acts?

Obviously the US and it’s allies need to continue there efforts against the Taliban. Stopping mid stream will probably only make things worse now. Destroying there economic base including drug production is one part of it. I was thinking more long term. The 20/30 years before the Taliban and what led upto these events, and what will be in another 10-20 years. How the US can play a more diplomatic role and mitigate the threat.

kmman

It’s very easy to sit back and criticize but the US has the obligation to protect its interests, its citizens and our allies. Is there another country that would go to the extent we do to help another country? Sure, its easy for Canada to sit back nicely since theres no way in hell anyone is going to mess with Canada with the good ole USA right below…..aint gonna happen! Must be a nice position to be in!

Anyone…and I do mean anyone that truly believes these psychopath religious fanatics with a mission statement of destroying a nation and killing civilians (3000 in office buildings) will stop is surely misguided. The so called leadership needs this turmoil or they’d be rendered useless…….Children are taught to hate people in schools. The hatred starts there LONG before a 5 year old kid knows of any US policies.

Our sons and daughters must do the work for other countries.

Kevin I am disgusted my your remark, especially being about 100 miles away from NYC. Which invasion exactly was responsible for 9/11?

That said, I respect your right to say what you want. In fact, my son has applied to West Point to protect you as well.

So everyone can just sit back and analyze as the young men and woman of the US do the heavy lifting.

To the OP, Jeremy Glickman was a black belt in one of the martial arts. The point is you can train all you want in Krav Maga or one of the MA.

What you really need is for the good passengers to help you stop the bad terrorists. Don’t be afraid to ask and demand for help from the good passengers in the event something like this ever happens again. Strength in numbers.

I wish the US airlines were like the El Al airlines.

kmman

quote JewishFitness1976:

To the OP, Jeremy Glickman was a black belt in one of the martial arts. The point is you can train all you want in Krav Maga or one of the MA.

What you really need is for the good passengers to help you stop the bad terrorists. Don’t be afraid to ask and demand for help from the good passengers in the event something like this ever happens again. Strength in numbers.

I wish the US airlines were like the El Al airlines.

Here’s the problem……El Al profiles and interviews. We cant do that here because we have to pretend the terrorists do not share a common profile so grandma has to get patted down with everyone else.

Just look at some of the responses here and you can figure out just why we cant do what El Al does…way too much appeasing to the very people that want to kill us.

We have two choices…do whats necessary or live in the make believe.

***and no this doesnt mean all muslims should be interviewed as all muslims are not terrosists…this is, by the way, another politically correct necessity nowadays where whenever you say the word muslim and terrorists (even though you use “extremist” it must be followed by the clarification that you didnt mean all muslims.

oh and also by the way…..if more muslims denounced these idiots who hijacked their religion and use the killings in name of their religion this clarification wouldnt be necessary.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: