Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Instructors question?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sicpuppy

For all you instructors out there…

When you run your classes, do you prefer students know ahead of time what is going to be covered in class (like posting it on a calendar), or do you not want people knowing ahead of time? Either way, why?

Also, do you work off of actual lesson plan, or do you more play it by ear?

stuartf

Re: Instructors question?

I’m not an insructor, but there’s an official lesson plan posted at http://kmwtrainingcenters.com/ sometimes my instructors use it and sometimes they don’t.

kravone

I am an instructor…yes certified…have the diplomas and scars (mental & physical) to prove it. When I teach, I typically announce at the beginning of class (at the bow-in) what we’re going to cover. I then proceed to warm up and lead the class through dynamic stretches depending on what we are going to cover to ensure that no one pulls a hammy, etc. The syllabus is not necessarily announced ahead of time. Although, I don’t necessarily see the harm in doing that…we just don’t. Hope that helps.

kevinmack

Its good to sometimes give people a little idea of whats to come but some people dont like to do certain things and if you announce what you are going to do in advance they can avoid those classes. It robs them of being well rounded.

sicpuppy

quote KevinMack:

Its good to sometimes give people a little idea of whats to come but some people dont like to do certain things and if you announce what you are going to do in advance they can avoid those classes. It robs them of being well rounded.

Yeah, I can definately see that! When I first started, I would not have come on certain nights if I knew ahead of time. Now I don’t care, I love it all!

However, on the other hand, it is nice to know what gear to have on and ready before class starts.

My instructor doesn’t even tell us what’s next during class, never mind ahead of time but I think that is mostly because he plays it all by ear. I don’t think he has a plan at all. That is not a criticism- I think he just starts class with something and then just adjusts the classes based on the experience level and training needs of the class. So, maybe he is not going to do headlock from the side if he has a bunch of first timers who do not yet know how to punch or kick, or don’t know how to pull their hits so they don’t kill each other.

kevinmack

Most times I will have the class planned out from start to finish eith with techniques or themes. I have been big on themes and concepts lately. Sometimes I have to change things oin the fly due to who showed up for class that night. There have been times I have slacked and only had one thing picked out but that always leads you to other things,etc,etc.
    I always try to give my students a rough heads up of what we are going to do either in that class or the next. For instance if we did a lot of fighting in tonights class I might say “since we did a lot of fighting tonight be prepared to do some self defense techniques on wed..maybe some knife threats.” But that doesnt mean thats all we will do and nothing is written in stone. All the instructors in my school also write what they taught that night on a white board so the next instructor know s what was taught last and can either expand on the subject/theme or at least not repeat it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: