Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rebelsoldjah

My name is Evan LeMasters. I’ve been a very active, aggressive, tenacious teenager, and now that all of my high school sports have ended, im looking for something to stay active and keep me physically fit. I’ve had my run ins with thugs and hoodlums alike, and live in a slightly rough neighborhood. I’ve inquired about many different forms of martial arts and such; however, Krav Maga seems to be the most realistic form anyone could use. I have searched the forums for anything in the Indianapolis area, but it seems that there is nothing organized. If there are any Indpls users here, I was wondering whether or not they would be willing to organize something of the sort. Thanks.

mara-jade

Re: interested

Hi Evan!

Welcome to the forum!:wav:. Looking at the KM national website, there’s one center in Indiana though this may be too far for you. The national website is THE place to look for licensed KM centers in the U.S.
    https://kravmaga.com/indiana.asp

You’d have to call the school to see the minimum age they allow for enrolling in classes. You don’t mention how old you are, so dunno if you’re referring to KMX (KM for kids) or adult KM classes.

Yeah, I remember rough neighborhoods – I was born and raised in the South Bronx myself:D

If you’ve got more questions please ask:)

russell

the only center in indiana is in evansville, it’s morris dynamics,quite a way from indy, but i’m sure mike or gary would like a new student if you want to drive 3 hours for classes

good luck in your search
    russell

xboxchamp593

Hi friends, I was overweight few years ago. I was weighing then averagely 190-200 pounds. Three years ago I went on the starvation diet; I maintained the calories a day under 800 with no exercise. I also took many vitamins. I never felt dizzy, sick, or exhausted when I was on it. I did lose 60 pounds of fat, not muscle. But everyone stating starvation diets don’t work, that our bodies go into a mode where we will not loose weight. I donít think so. What is your opinion?

mara-jade

quote xboxchamp593:

Hi friends, I was overweight few years ago. I was weighing then averagely 190-200 pounds. Three years ago I went on the starvation diet; I maintained the calories a day under 800 with no exercise. I also took many vitamins. I never felt dizzy, sick, or exhausted when I was on it. I did lose 60 pounds of fat, not muscle. But everyone stating starvation diets don’t work, that our bodies go into a mode where we will not loose weight. I donít think so. What is your opinion?

Welcome to the Forum!:wav:

Men and women all require a certain amount of calories, based on height, weight and how active they are. I’m actually quite shocked you were on such a diet as you describe. My initial thoughts are the after effects of a starvation diet. Some take it too far and you do lose muscle (from my little reading I’ve done).

It can happen your body can reach a plateau – it’s happened to me. I went from a size 18 to a size 14 and have been able to maintain it but haven’t gotten rid of any more weight. Not training lately this year though, it’s necessary at times to have a new strategy to get to that next goal. I just need to get my butt in class :D:

The bottom line with any kind of diet is common sense. If you try to drasticly change your diet, it will be very difficult to stick to and most people will fall off of it very quickly. If you’re able to pull something like that off, more power to you.

Also, cutting down under 1000 calories can work in theory, but you have to be EXTREMELY inactive. The majority of people who partake of extreme diets like that end up burning a lot of muscle. If you don’t believe me, go talk to anyone who has been through the Army’s Ranger school or something similar. If you are active and not eating a lot, your muscles will break down.

On the other hand, if you aren’t working out, you’re not building any new muscle. Muscle metabolizes faster than fat so if you’re building muscle, you are enabling your body to more effectively burn fat.

I’ve talked to several physicians and other soldiers about this subject, and what I’ve realized is that you just need to find a diet that you can stick to which gives you enough calories to support your normal activities. You also need to be doing some sort of exercise.

Fad diets work for some people, but they rarely keep the weight off (thus the reason why they are called fad diets). The most effective and time-tested formula for weight loss and fitness is “Decrease input, increase output”.

J-

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: