Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Interesting Info on Vertical Fists

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kmman
    edsko

Re: Interesting Info on Vertical Fists

Interesting indeed. We do teach “vertical” punches but students often ask me why. I tell them what is effectively a short summary of this article–will be good to point out some of the history. Thanks for posting!

jaspthecat

Interesting read, thanks.

Good article, explains alot.
    I always wondered why boxers put both hands up and out so far.
    I can certainly use this info in class.

kirsten

I can’t get the article to load 🙁 So I am not sure that this is relevant, but here goes. I like to drill verticle punching without the rotation when students are bringing the elbows up and overdoing the rotation… Its a good way to correct this and let them see how “straight” and “tight” the arms should be instead of the elbow up and out that results from an early rotation.

reaper1

Really good read, Cheers

The history of this is truly fascinating. I read an excellent book some time back about pre Queensbury boxing. These bouts went on for hours and “rounds” were introduced when one fighter knocked another down.

Gloves were introduced to reduce injury to the hands which became swollen and damaged. In one account from the 1700’s one fight went on for nearly 4 hours. One participant was given gin to help them continue the fight as their scalp had split open leaving a gaping wound. This was stitched ringside (obviously minus anesthetic or pain killers) and the fighter drank gin before continuing with the fight.

This was a ladies fight in London. Yes thats right.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: