Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is boxing as a class drill useful?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    111knightave

Hi everyone,

I’m very new to KM and have just started training.

In my last class, after practicing self defense techniques, we were asked to put gloves on and box. Most of the people in my class are much taller and heavier than me, (5″9 VS 6″2+) and have been training for longer than I have, and while I landed a few good shots during the drill, I struggled, and took a lot of pretty hard punches.

I’d just like to get a couple of opinions on how useful an exercise like that is, and what it teaches me? I understand when you fight yout can’t choose the opponent but in that situation I would never stand up and try to box someone who is that different in size than me! It seemed like I was just getting beat up and I wasn’t sure what to take from it.

Any help or tips etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys

kmyoshi

KM takes a lot of techniques from boxing, Muay Thai and kickboxing for striking. Boxing as a class drill (sounds like you were sparring) is immensely important. It helps you train with a non compliant opponent and learn how to recognize the punches so that you can defend and attack effectively. Sparring/fights are fluid and organic, you are going to get hit because you are not sure what your opponent is going to do but they also do not know what you are going to do. I am 5’5″, and most of the people I spar with are going to be bigger than me in height and weight. I feel that full on sparring for a beginner is not as helpful, especially with training partners that do not have control. It would be better if you were able to ease into it with sparring drills, such as one person is attacking, the other person is only allowed to defend or I-go-you-go type sparring so that you can gradually learn to recognize the attacks that are coming your way. Other boxing drills would be focus mitt work where you work on your striking, and also having the mitt holder throw punches at you at 30% speed so that you can recognize the attacks. I would speak to your instructor to see if they can incorporate those type of drills before moving onto full sparring. You can also ask your partner to take it down if they are landing their punches too hard.

I recommend shadow boxing at home and to practice slipping (punches) and bobbing and weaving, 3 crucial techniques to make it more difficult for your opponents to land hits to your head.

doublestrike

Hi 111knightave,

I’ve been in your shoes many times. But please keep in mind, that basic boxing skills / techniques are critical in fighting + self-defense. one of the fundamental philosophies in training Krav is to be placed in situations of high stress. Sure, you can train in a nice air-conditioned room with padded mats and with a willing training partner, but how will that help you if you’re jumped in a dimly lit parking lot in the dead of winter?

Does your school have a beginning fight / boxing class? If so, then I would highly recommend you attend and learn the basics of boxing fundamentals. If not, then ask your instructor to assist. And lastly, if you do feel that you’re getting pummeled, then you can always ask your partner to go easy on you since you are inexperienced. It’s one thing to train under stress, it’s an another thing entirely if you’re getting beat up – LOL.

Remember, it’s all about perspective. You’re there to learn how to fight and to protect yourself. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck!

Regards,

DoubleStrike

bullseye

Actual experience of any type will always help. Drilling without actually doing it in a realistic situation, to compare it too is useless. Part of the reason I am anxious to move up to Level 2.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: