Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is Rank Important to You?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    esquire32

Re: Is Rank Important to You?

I have had large periods of time where I could care less about the rank, test grade, etc in Krav as well as other arts I’ve studied. There are several other students I have spoken with that have not tested at all stating the same thing and that for them is was about the training and not the level or some belt test. Of course, sometimes this is a fear of the “test” itself and sometimes a legitimate disinterest in some rank awarded , but rather a focus on training and progressing just for the sake of training in its own right. The way I look at it is not so much the fact that the test ( and rank award) certifies what I do or do not know, we all know that already internally without having to have someone else tell us. Rather, I view it as a bit of a right of passage, a hazing if you will. Then you can say “hey I went through this “test” and came out the other side”.

kevinmack

I hate when people say Krav Maga has no rules. There are tons of rules in the system and in training.
    “Dont get hurt”- IMI

defend-control and attack.

redirect the line of fire..control the weapon….attack…take away.

360- wrist to wrist-elbow bent-blade of the forearm-fwd pressure

we dont poke each other in the eyes..we pull our punches…we dont kick each other in the groins without protection,etc,etc,etc. This no rules cath phrase is annoying and just makes us sound like nerds. “Krav Maga will always beat an MMA guy cause MMA has rules and Krav has no rules” absurd.

mdeaneuscg

quote KevinMack:

I hate when people say Krav Maga has no rules. There are tons of rules in the system and in training.
    “Dont get hurt”- IMI

defend-control and attack.

redirect the line of fire..control the weapon….attack…take away.

360- wrist to wrist-elbow bent-blade of the forearm-fwd pressure

we dont poke each other in the eyes..we pull our punches…we dont kick each other in the groins without protection,etc,etc,etc. This no rules cath phrase is annoying and just makes us sound like nerds. “Krav Maga will always beat an MMA guy cause MMA has rules and Krav has no rules” absurd.

While I completely understand what you are getting at, to say that there are ‘rules’, at least from my perspective, implies that there are limitations on what the person can do in combat. Things like not hitting the back of the head, not gouging eyes, not kicking the groin are rules. These are hard trained into an MMA fighter, and they therefore would likely not even think about employing those taboo techniques in a real confrontation, because they don’t train them. The ‘rules’ you posted are more the principles and training methods that are employed in krav, but do not attempt to limit our capability in a confrontation. The true rules that we must follow in Krav are actually laws governing the use of force in self defense.

So, to say that krav has no rules is in fact false, as we must conform to self defense law. Otherwise, we’d just end up killing or maiming anyone and everyone that ever attempted to lay hands on us, and a lot of people would go to jail.

mara-jade

quote MDeaneUSCG:

While I completely understand what you are getting at, to say that there are ‘rules’, at least from my perspective, implies that there are limitations on what the person can do in combat. Things like not hitting the back of the head, not gouging eyes, not kicking the groin are rules. These are hard trained into an MMA fighter, and they therefore would likely not even think about employing those taboo techniques in a real confrontation, because they don’t train them. The ‘rules’ you posted are more the principles and training methods that are employed in krav, but do not attempt to limit our capability in a confrontation. The true rules that we must follow in Krav are actually laws governing the use of force in self defense.

So, to say that krav has no rules is in fact false, as we must conform to self defense law. Otherwise, we’d just end up killing or maiming anyone and everyone that ever attempted to lay hands on us, and a lot of people would go to jail.

That’s my thinking too. I mean it drive me nuts when folks compare Krav to MMA. They’re out to advance. We wanna get home to our families 🙂

revobuzz

For me – 100% unimportant. Never graded – never will. Happy as I am. I understand why others do place value on it though.

celtickm

Hi revobuzz, from my post above I said

“that in my club there are some Master classes and Elite classes that only allow cerain grades to attend so maybe that is a small motivation to get to the ‘P’ levels.”

Does your club not have these courses that only allow certain levels attend which may tempt you to grade?

How much are these gradings in the UK anyway do you know, never been myself?

kiddon

quote mara_jade:

That’s my thinking too. I mean it drive me nuts when folks compare Krav to MMA. They’re out to advance. We wanna get home to our families 🙂

I agree, dont compare what have no comparasion, no rules is to do anything to survive, biting, spitting and even escape, but one thing very, very important in a conflict with a thug, and that element is SURPRISE, never show to your opponent that you know something about fight, your own position, your hands , your legs, you must show him fear , submission, and he cames to attack you , and before he gets you, you must attack with all power to the groin, eyes,throat,you can not give a second chance to him, he may be better than us on fight or have a knife or a gun in his pocket and you are death….:Deadhorse:

kmyoshi

I feel like rank in a system like Krav is only implemented for organization of what is being taught (which is probably the same as other systems/arts). I feel ranking is important but should not be the priority in your training. Level 5 is still built on the foundation that level 1 and previous levels before it taught (4 and below, etc.).

shipwreck

I am only interested in gaining rank for the purpose of becoming an instructor sometime in the future. Past that we learn several higher belt techniques in our Level 1 course. Granted this is not an every day occurrence and we still do a lot of fundamentals but it helps break up the monotony of front kick/hammer fist.

Plus, like others have stated, a good instructor will teach you some stuff outside of your area so if that situation does occur you at least have a grasp on what to do.

revobuzz

My clubs pretty informal, so being allowed on courses is more on ability than grade. We are also a fairly new club so we don’t have any G or E levels yet. Not sure how much they cost £20-30 probably?

celtickm

quote revobuzz:

My clubs pretty informal, so being allowed on courses is more on ability than grade. We are also a fairly new club so we don’t have any G or E levels yet. Not sure how much they cost £20-30 probably?

Yeah grading I discovered is around £40 and also these extra courses I spoke about also cost around £40 each and are usually on a certain topic:

https://www.institute-kravmaga.co.uk/krav-maga-masterclass/

Also we have these trips (lot more expensive) that if you hadn’t graded you probably would either not be able to attend or be stuck with the beginner students when you get there:

http://krav-maga.com/training/touring-and-training-in-israel

Suppose it’s a little incentive to move up through the grades…

rickprado

Had a prospective new student come in last week, the first thing that came out of his mouth was belts, grading, etc…..and how long it would take to progress.

I wanted to say he needed to learn to walk and chew gum without spitting first, but that may have been rude!

:soapbox:

stuartf

quote rickprado:

Had a prospective new student come in last week, the first thing that came out of his mouth was belts, grading, etc…..and how long it would take to progress.

I wanted to say he needed to learn to walk and chew gum without spitting first, but that may have been rude!

:soapbox:

I think that’s actually a valid question if you’re trying to make sure you’re not signing up at a mcdojo (http://www.bullshido.org/McDojo).

t-krav

This has been my experience. Your mileage may vary.

In my school you cannot attend Level X class until you have passed the Level X-1 test. So in order for me to learn Level 4 techniques I had to first pass thru the ranks of 1,2 and 3. Sure, occasionally instructors will expand the normal curriculum and we have a few mixed level classes. But to train specifically on Level 4 techniques I had to put in the effort and pass all the previous tests.

So rank is important to me in that it allows me to expand my training. I still love taking “lower” classes than my rank, but my rank validated a certain level of proficiency and has earned me the right to safely train in its curriculum.

I also cross train in muay thai where there are no ranks. Everyone in a class trains the same technique being taught. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it doesn’t work out so well. When starting off there isn’t really a base of material to start from like there is in L1.

rickprado

quote stuartf:

I think that’s actually a valid question if you’re trying to make sure you’re not signing up at a mcdojo (http://www.bullshido.org/McDojo).

If you look at it from that perspective, yes,it is a valid question, but I’m pretty good at feeling people out and can tell where he was headed and usually, that’ not the first thing that comes up.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: