Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is unaffiliated KM better than nothing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    devilnuts

I am planning on a move in a few months to Okinawa with the Marine Corps. I will be there for three years, and I found a Karate instructor on one of the bases (Camp Foster) who teaches Krav Maga on Saturdays.

I have only corresponded with him via email, and I asked him about his affiliation; he replied that he is not affiliated with any KM organizations, but receives his curriculum from a chap in Israel.

I googled the guys name + Krav Maga and all I found was a review on a Kapap book – in his review he says he incorporates some of those techniques into his class. I really don’t know much about what Kapap is so I don’t understand the differences.

What I am worried about is getting substandard instruction. Is there anyone here who can check this guy out if I give his name? He has apparently been teaching Karate on Okinawa for twenty years or so. I really cannot check his school out in person yet until I actually fly out there.

kevin-mack

Re: Is unaffiliated KM better than nothing?

just train judo

brandon7s

Couldn’t you try a session with him and see if it looks up to par? Can’t hurt much, can it?

leejam99

try it out and see how you feel about it. even if its not 100% Krav, I’m sure you’ll learn something good if the instructor is good.

devilnuts

I’m going to check it out one way or the other. Is it really common though for people to fly instructors out from Israel to teach them KM and not be affiliated?

And what is a “Kapap?”

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

KAPAP info

simon

I just like saying the word “KAPAP” reminds me of the 60’s Batman show Adam West would hit someone and “POW” “BAM” “KaaaaaaaaPap”

kirsten

quote Simon:

I just like saying the word ìKAPAPî reminds me of the 60ís Batman show Adam West would hit someone and “POW” “BAM” ìKaaaaaaaaPapî

Bawhahahaha! I see it written in those bright yellow stars and splashes! Viva La Adam West!! Best “Family Guy” character.

kior

[quote=DevilNuts;44565 I asked him about his affiliation; he replied that he is not affiliated with any KM organizations, but receives his curriculum from a chap in Israel. [/quote]

Do you know who he gets his material from in Israel? That’s what I’d check out, he may not be affiliated but if he’s been taught by someone good then that’s a positive sign surely

Hi

I trained as a Kapap Instructor with Avi back in 2005.

It was a 5 day course and frankly a jumble of techniques. It was a but of fun but not an instructors course. If you are in Okinawa you would be mad not to do some real Okinawian Karate –

Do the Krav in the states. Dont bother with the ktrav guy – sounds like he has not even done a proper Instructors course.

Good luck tho.

A good instructor can teach you some good things even if it is not original krav maga.

BUT,
    keep in mind that a lot of people use the term krav maga for marketing and collect techniques from youtube and/or other systems they practised before.

I’d rather learn some good pure karate, muay thai, MMA etc than fake krav maga.

just my two cents

have a good time there!

devilnuts

Thanks for the input. This same guy is a former Marine and teaches karate on base for the last 30 years. So I may just go for that, and stop in to check out his Krav class just to see what it is. If I like what I see, perhaps I will do both.

But I do think that some bona fide karate training won’t hurt anything, and will only serve to round out my martial arts experience. I would like to look at Aikido as well, but from what I hear it’s tough for a white guy to find a quality school in Okinawa.

kevin-mack

judo….kyokushin…..judo….kyokushin….judo….kyokushin

devilnuts

Well… Next week I make my move to Okinawa. I’m still going to check this guy’s program out and see if it’s anything I want to be involved in. I will report my findings 🙂

clfmak

What kind of karate does he teach? Kyokushin and its offshoots (enshin, ashihara) are generally good. I also like uechi ryu.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: