Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    kmman

My search for a local JKD school is what led me to Krav Maga. I was interested in JKD because it was supposed to be effective and without all the forms and traditions of traditional arts. KM is everything I expected from JKD and more!

Although KM has been around longer than JKD, I cannot help but think how closely related they are, even if not intentionally.

The main player in JKD today is Dan Inosanto who is based in CA. Does anyone know of any influence one has had over the other or any relation at all? Even if there is no relation, does anyone else see what I see?

The philosophies and concepts just seem so similar. Luckily I found I good KM school nearby because, at the time, my search was for JKD schools and there are none nearby.

spartankrav

Re: Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga

Funny you write this because I was thinking the same thing the past few weeks. The main difference seems to be, and correct me if I’m wrong (I’m sure someone will;)) protection of the centerline in JKD whereas we invite the straight punch.

kmman

Well, one clear difference is JKD uses a strong side lead so a righty stays in a southpaw stance…BUT thats whats called Original JKD (as Bruce taught). JKD Concepts is what evolved after Inosanto took over adding FMA….They use a left lead. Im not sure if the centerline theory disappeared in “concepts”.

Just dont hook up with JKD Extreme.

They are a ripoff, literally the owner ripped me off of my money online.

kmman

JKD is a concept, out in Cali it’s main person is Dan Inosanto. Principles are similar to Krav Maga.

vinman

quote KMMAN:

Well, one clear difference is JKD uses a strong side lead so a righty stays in a southpaw stance…BUT thats whats called Original JKD (as Bruce taught). JKD Concepts is what evolved after Inosanto took over adding FMA….They use a left lead. Im not sure if the centerline theory disappeared in “concepts”.

Bruce fought that way because that felt most comfortable to HIM

Bruce ‘s methods were, above all, to use what works best for you

I will agree that KM is very similar to JKD, as far as being practical

unstpabl1

The idea behind strong side forward in JKD also realates to not having to switch leads with weapons as well as wing chun.
    But its strong point is going from weapons to empty hands and back. There is a strong kali influence in JKD and they can yelp concepts or original jkd all day long. Inosanto is JKD. And probably all RBSD strings from that liniage

farhan

I know this is an old thread. But I was doing some reading in my lunch hour. And I came across the Wikipedia article of ‘Jeet Kune Do’. So instead of posting a new thread I searched for an existing one on this forum.

I agree with the original poster. The similarities are striking. I have never seen ‘Jeet Kune Do’ being practiced. But if you read the wiki posting, you will see in theory, Bruce was applying very similar principles to ‘Jeet Kune Do’. Especially the ‘Block and Strike’ simultaneously. And he had the same goal in mind ‘Realistic self defence’.

don

Ideally, you are striving to Beat your opponent to the punch – it’s not so much a simultaneous block and strike, it’s more like you hit first and block what’s left over (stop-hit). Since I don’t have Sigung Bruce’s speed, timing, or reflexes, simultaneous is fine with me… thumbsup

dckm

personally i wouldn’t fool with jkd. (i’m biased, i love km and think it’s the best self defense system out there bar none.) there’s no organizational body behind it to license it’s curriculum or standardize training amongst schools. so what one guy may call jkd may or may not be.
    we’re fortunate in that kmww is strict on who can teach km and what schools can use the logo and they all operate from the same instructor’s guide.

outside km the only other “art” i’m interested in is arnis. but outside that, km fits my needs perfectly. my only regret is that i didn’t take the training in 2004 when i first heard about it.

farhan

dckm,

I concur with your statement. I just thought it was interesting that I knew about Bruce but had little knowledge of his system. Which had similarities with KM in theory.

I believe in doing one thing and doing it well. So as of now I am all KM!

don

I like KM – A Lot. (Much of that is due to the outstanding people I’ve met and have had the privilege of learning from who represent KM). I am also very comfortable (i.e. believe in) teaching KM techniques and philosophies to my partners.

That being said, I would not trade my JKD/FMA training/experience for anything. Among (many) other things, my JKD/FMA background has put me into a much better position from which to evaluate and appreciate other martial arts/techniques/philosphies/training methodologies/etc.

As you probably know, one major philosphy in JKD (which I also see in KM) is “absorbing what is useful”. Right now, I am absorbing as much KM as I can but that doesn’t mean I’m going to stop looking around and learning from wherever/whomever I can.

If you are happy with your teacup being full, more power to you. Personally, I’m always going to keep mine less than full. Suum Cuique.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Don- Well said

rd672

I also concur with Don.I came from a another RBSD system which had very similiar principles as Krav Maga.The transition was smooth.I would not be in KM unless that journey was not taken.Always strive as an instructor to be passionate and be a student.

tech94

i agree wholly. i’m a pfs/jkd certified full instructor. i did not earn my cert. in a weekend course, actually trained hard and put in my time..(silly me , huh?) we dont have a truly set curriculum, but in pfs we do have some measure of structure as defined by sifu vunak’s teaching. most jkd instructors are pfs affiliated i beleive. i train in km and was amazed by the striking resemblances as well. km blended and assimilated very well into “my jkd”. JKD doesnt have specificly prescribed defenses for specific techniques as in ” this is bear hug from front” defense, so i use those type of techniques to improve my jkd. i have also learned invaluable ways to improve my attributes in jkd and beleive they’ve improved my km as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: