Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga

JKD is Strong side Forward..the idea being that in a street fight your not setting up combos and a Straight Blast solves a lot. In a way it’s similar to bursting. I have no doubt the Israeli’s studied it

Strong side forward is also beneficial to the weapon base of the system. the knock on the system is aliveness training and integration of techs. the question becomes is it technique or princple driven

Oh yeah it’s usually expensive

don

quote lions2011:

JKD has some good things like it stresses eye jabs, knee kicks and groin kicks.

Much similarity among KM and JKD. Krav techniques I think are more powerful through while JKD is more based on speed and quickness.
    I think in JKD they dont chamber much on there kicks as Bruce Lee really stressed speed and quickness.
    Plus Krav deals with weapons, choke defenses and multiple opponents while JKD does not I think.
    Still Krav is more western type of system while JKD is more Asian as it stresses striking and blocking at the same time as does much of Kung fu.
    I find that very hard to do.

Krav seems to have more powerful type of blows I think.
    I could be wrong but this is what I read. Please dont yell at me if I am wrong.

Lions, I’m not going to yell at you but it IS irritating to me that you continually talk (make erroneous statements of fact) about things that you know little to nothing about… You’d probably be fine if you would just take all the conclusions you’ve been jumping to and rephrase them into questions…

tzrider

quote Don:

Lions, I’m not going to yell at you but it IS irritating to me that you continually talk (make erroneous statements of fact) about things that you know little to nothing about…

You said that very nicely.

rick-prado

Not that anyone would miss me, or anyone else on an internet forum, but those types of conclusions, and the ever present, “whose krav is blah, blah…..” accompanied by the “what if someone climbed out of the toilet and attacked you with a melted ice cube?” questions are the type of stuff that make this and most forums ponderous and almost unbearable.

rick-prado

I’ve also found that people who spend too much time on these forums should probably train a little more.

kmman

This thread was started 2 years ago and brought back to life by a spammer. Unfortunately it seems to have degenerated.

The original post was asking if anyone knew of any influence JKD and KM might have had over one another in the earlier years or if there was any relation at all. I think that was a legit question.

unstpabl1

quote KMMAN:

This thread was started 2 years ago and brought back to life by a spammer. Unfortunately it seems to have degenerated.

The original post was asking if anyone knew of any influence JKD and KM might have had over one another in the earlier years or if there was any relation at all. I think that was a legit question.

Not sure about what the direct traceable link would be. dan Inosanto might be the one to ask. I would bet its there

In my research of krav I’ve come to some conclusions that are more than likely true to some degree but verification would be difficult. I know hapkido/judo/jujitsu masters went to teach the IDF. In fact Ninpo or ninjitsu was big early in Israel

Krav is a military system and Israel had access to the best trainiers in the world. Imi is the founder of the system, but krav wasn’t borrn in a vaccum. I think they looked at the best martial arts and used what was useful and disregarded the rest. But they looked at it with an Israeli practicality and pressure tested both the tech and the soldier

This is no different than how MCMAP was developed

don

quote Plantman:

I’ve also found that people who spend too much time on these forums should probably train a little more.

lmao tru dat!

don
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

KMman it was a legit question, I think it still is. I normally steer clear of responding to questions like this because of being the admin and looking like I represent KMW Corp when I reply instead of it just being my personal opinion.

I might have a different spin on things so here goes.

Krav Maga is a principle based system, will this work for a smaller person the same as a larger one. Can the average person perform the techniques, is a technique reflexive based on the bodys natural movement, etc.

IMHO The original tenets of JKD are very similar.

All things being equal following the rules of either style the defense would logically then come to the same conclusion.

So I propose that if they did or did not influence each other isn’t as relevant as the fact they both are based on specific guidelines put down by its founders.

Just my .02 I could be wrong.

rick-prado

Here’s an interesting story about Krav Maga, Imi and Bruce Lee as told to me by my instructor Rick Blitstein:

Imi was visiting Alan and Rick in Cleveland I believe, many years ago, conducting a seminar and all that good stuff. At some point the three of them were watching a Bruce Lee movie.

Imi commented the Bruce Lee was good, skilled, fast etc….but picked apart a fight scene by saying, ” the boy is good, but why doesn’t he move in a finish him?”

Rick or Alan replied, “because the movie would be over”.

don

hahhahahahaahahahahaa rofl2

kevinmack

that movie was Return of the Dragon and it was the fight scene between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. I love that story.

psyops

It’s interesting,

Recently I have began a friendship with Paul Vunak. He is a pretty famous JKD Instructor/Historian who learned directly from Dan Inosanto. We have spoken at length about the similarities and the differences between the two systems. He has invited me to train at his home with his other top students and we will begin to really disect the two systems. I am honored of course.

Bruce Lee had an enormous influence on me so I have spent a great deal of time studying the man and the process of growth he often spoke about. In July of 2011 I will have Paul Vunak at my school in Las Vegas for a JKD seminar. Why? Because fundementally the systems are alligned. The truth is the bond between the systems. Being exposed to a variance in methodology is often times the catalyst to understanding. Just my opinion

kmman

Pysops;

WOW! That sounds really interesting. Be sure to report back on your thoughts. That’s exactly what I was looking for when I posted this.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: