Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    emil

umm, this was NOT sandbagging. It’s was a way for the refs to keep track of the competitors. Instead of mandating everyone to bring a blue and white gi, this is what they chose to do. In BJJ they use one green/yellow belt or in no-gi they use ankle wraps. In amateur boxing each competitor wears either a red or blue uniform. Jeez, why is still not clear? 😮

la-revancha

Wow! All this activity while away!

First, muchisimas gracias to mi carnal Emil for posting the link and accompanying adulations.

To clarify a little about the shiai rules and regs:

Competitors don’t \”choose\” which belt color they use during the match. An official hands out the belts, and without any insight of my own about this process, I think they arbitriarily assign the blue or white belts. This system simply helps distininguish between two nearly-identical looking competitors (both wearing white/blue gis, both with the same belt color) when awarding points/penalties. There is also this cool, elegant electronic judo scoreboard, which is also color coordinated and is really helpful in keeping the audience/team members informed about the score (which doesn’t always happen at BJJ tournies).

If you review the clips, you’ll see a strip of blue tape and white tape on the mat. All these tools again assist in making sure you award/penalize points or victories to the right guy.

And as Emil mentioned, BJJ utilizes the green/yellow belt to tie around a competitor in gi competition to distinguish between to nearly identical competitors.

Wrestling and submission grappling is kinda like this, too, at least in the US. One guy wears the red anklet, and the other guy wears the green. People come into comps wearing multi-colored singlets, rash guards, shorts, etc. Keeping this two-color system, in both gi and no-gi comps, keeps things consistent and easy to score.

LOL at Psyops 😕 Speaking of dojos, I still haven’t gone back to pick up my new belt at my school. Perhaps I’ll go tomorrow morning to hear more adulation!! BTW, your comment reveals a limited understanding about grappling tournanments.

The only sandbagging I’ll do in BJJ/Judo will be the tournament YOU enter 😈 .

Two more things: BIG HUGE FRIGGIN thanks to my friends, Ryan Hoover, JJ, Andre, Tuan, and ALL the peeps at RHEK. The only reason I decided to try judo was after a conversation I had with Jeff during the last RBSP seminar he did in DC. They, along with the likes of carnalito Emil, have supported my endeavors in KM and other systems. Huge thanks also to my GF who recorded all the matches 😉 .

Lastly: Considering the multitude of accomplished martial artists on this forum, I thought is slighly innappropriate to post the clips here. While I am proud of batsugun (that’s what they call jump promotions at tourneys in judo), I feel this hardly compares to the cojones of people like John and Rolando who dare in the harshest of arenas. It does feel good to be recognized, though.

*quickly jumps off soap box to wait in line for The Da Vinci Code*

anonymous

El codigo da Vinci? Don’t waste your money! They actually managed to ruin a great story. It’s like a bad summary. And to think I missed Mitch’s class for that one! 😥 Buy the book’s special illustrated edition instead, enjoy and thank me later… 😉

Again congrats on your victory and promotion!

Si, se puede indeed!

clfmak

Spanish and judo? This begs for a Mexican judo joke.

anonymous

Let’s hear it! But if the Brazilians can do Jiu Jitsu, why can’t Mexicans do Judo? By the way, if I remember correctly from previous posts, Revancha isn’t even Mexican, but, I believe, Columbian?

la-revancha

Confusing language with ethnicity? This begs for asinine, culturally-moronic diatribe.

And you guys wonder why I don’t post here anymore 🙄 .

g-v

Re:

Forgive Giant, he’s german. You know how those guys feel about ethnicity. 😀

Giant, I’m just kidding! What are you doing with that pointy helmet? Quit staring at my heart!

anonymous

That helmet is going straight through my friend!

Dude, I wasn’t the one confusing language with ethnicity. I was the one pointing out that not all Spanish speakers are Mexicans.

Hell, I speak Spanish and I’m German! In fact, I’m a German, living in the United States, who works for a French company and thinks he’s a Mexican. Needless to say, I’m very confused… 8)

clfmak

Mexican Judo: \”judon’t know if he got a knife, judon’t know if he got a gun…\”

By the way- not really confusing ethnicity with language- thats just how the old joke goes, and it made me think of it.
    As a side note, although Brazilians have their own jiu jitsu, judo is very common in Brasil as well- like how wrestling is common in America- at the school level.

Okay, I’m ready to drop it now.

psyops

\”The only sandbagging I’ll do in BJJ/Judo will be the tournament YOU enter .\”

Don’t hold your breath clown! I don’t roll around on the floor with men! I just don’t get down like that 😆 . I’m not the dude that you want to work out those self esteem issues with. So save the evil faces. That shit means nothing to me. I come here in peace so I don’t want this to turn into anything. I am sure you are quite gifted on the ground. Again it means nothing to me though. You keep doing your thing. I applaud you. But the subtle little challenges are only laughed at and considered as the rants of a dude who needs to relax.

You understand?

anonymous

Wow, the Psyops/Revancha death match. Can’t wait to see that!

clfmak

\”Don’t hold your breath clown! I don’t roll around on the floor with men!\”

Its like a time portal back to 1993.

kurtuan

Psyops, if you \”don’t roll around on the floor\” how do you train for the ground?

psyops

Well,

We do a bit of ground work at our school. Everything that we do involves standing up as quickly as possible. We encourage biting, pinching, poking eyes, punches to the groin and such. Since these things can cause injury we take it really slow. We don’t spend time teaching students triangle chokes, rear naked chokes and such.

Why?

The plus one factor. The concept that every encounter should be viewed as a multiple attacker or unforseen factor. For example staying on the ground trying to use a triangle choke would not be the smartest thing if the individual has buddies. If the individual has a weapon and you are unaware of it, applying chokes and such could be dangerous if the weapon is available to the individual.

So every drill we do starts with the understanding that getting off the ground should be the focus.

kurtuan

Psyops, I agree with all of that, but don’t you think there’s value in learning techniques you might face? Not neccessarily to apply them in a fight, but to better understand how to deal with them? For example, we are trained in high roundhouse kicks, spinning heel kicks, etc., not so much so we can perform them in a fight, but so we can better understand how to deal with an opponent who does…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: